PDA

View Full Version : The Fishing Thread

Pages : [1] 2

-relk-
05-09-2013, 07:52 AM
I know some beyonders out there fish! Where do you guys like to go?

I started last year, and am really getting into things this year. Caught a bunch of brookies out of Nicholas Sheran park at the end of April with buzz bombs. Been hitting up the bow around Cranston and Policeman Flats area every couple of nights since I have been back to Calgary, caught a couple medium sized rainbows so far.

Got myself a fly rod this year, so I am working through the process of learning that too, does it ever get frustrating though.

Edit: Adding the link for people interested in getting into fly fishing that I posted below.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons/chapter-one-the-basics-of-fly-fishing

ExtraSlow
05-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Fly fishing is about half the effort if you have a boat to float down the river on. You can generally take the bushes on the banks out of the equation, so no snags.

I fish only a couple times a year, so I don't really know "the good spots" but the bow has lots of fish anywhere near Calgary. Inside the city the tend to be a bit smaller, and downstream a bit bigger, but there are lots even up in bowness.

-relk-
05-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Fly fishing is about half the effort if you have a boat to float down the river on. You can generally take the bushes on the banks out of the equation, so no snags.

I have some waders, so I am able to get out in the water to avoid snags, but that doesnt help that much as I can only get the fly about 10 feet in front of me at the moment. I am taking some lessons on the weekend, so I am counting on those to help speed up the learning process.

I was thinking about using an old innertube that my parents have for a float down the river. Was going to find some sort of hard surface for the bottom (seen some guy use insulation foam) so I can stand on it, but I dont know how comforatable that will be in the long run. I am assuming the idea with floats is to cast out your line, then let it float alongside?

darthVWader
05-09-2013, 09:01 AM
Hansons Fly shop in DT Calgary has the best deal for learning to Fly Fish. http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fly-fishing-boot-camp/

$200.00 and you get to learn all day at a ranch next to the Bow and once you are done you get to keep the rod, reel and line.

The Bow and other rivers offer a lot of spots to fly fish where you will have lots of room to back cast without getting caught up in the trees and such. I walk and wade 98% of the time and if I'm lucky I'll get to float with a guide. ( floating with a guide is also a great way to learn).
Also remember you don't need to be standing in the water up to your tits to catch fish. Most of the time the Trout are close to shore feeding so take your time walking up to the water and take a good look before you start to cast.

The idea of floating a river is that you get to cover more water then walking the river. It also give you the chance to drift your fly for a longer period of time through a run. I would stay away from the whole tube idea and maybe look at renting a boat from the UofC or other places first.

A great local fly fish forum www.flyfishcalgary.com

ExtraSlow
05-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Don't do the inner-tube thing. you won't enjoy it.

SJW
05-09-2013, 10:02 AM
Check out flyfishcalgary.com i started it about 8 years ago.

duaner
05-09-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by darthVWader
Hansons Fly shop in DT Calgary has the best deal for learning to Fly Fish. http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fly-fishing-boot-camp/

$200.00 and you get to learn all day at a ranch next to the Bow and once you are done you get to keep the rod, reel and line.

The Bow and other rivers offer a lot of spots to fly fish where you will have lots of room to back cast without getting caught up in the trees and such. I walk and wade 98% of the time and if I'm lucky I'll get to float with a guide. ( floating with a guide is also a great way to learn).
Also remember you don't need to be standing in the water up to your tits to catch fish. Most of the time the Trout are close to shore feeding so take your time walking up to the water and take a good look before you start to cast.

The idea of floating a river is that you get to cover more water then walking the river. It also give you the chance to drift your fly for a longer period of time through a run. I would stay away from the whole tube idea and maybe look at renting a boat from the UofC or other places first.

A great local fly fish forum www.flyfishcalgary.com
I've always wanted to learn to fly fish but been intimidated. That boot camp looks like it might do the trick.

ExtraSlow
05-09-2013, 10:58 AM
The university also used to have a fly fishing course as well. It was two or three classroom/gym sessions, then one day on the river.

-relk-
05-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Im doing my lesson through this guy, http://www.nymphing.com/ . Ill update after I take the lesson on Saturday. I am taking it purely for the casting tips, I know most of the knots, have a semi-good idea of what flies to use right now, and how to read the water.

For those interested in getting into fly fishing, these videos are about as good as they get.

http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons/chapter-one-the-basics-of-fly-fishing

calgarys_finest
05-30-2013, 10:44 PM
I do a lot of fly fishing out at the k-lakes always seems to be great. My daughter is just really getting into fishing so I take her to some of the southern lakes where its pretty much a given to catch walleye from shore. A great way to get out and get some fresh air.

redline
05-31-2013, 09:21 PM
My flyrod habit is worse then my car modding habit...

Check out fish tales my favourite fly shop in Calgary

Unknown303
05-31-2013, 09:40 PM
I started Fly'ing a couple years ago. Really enjoy it but I don't get out nearly as much as I should.

petoria
07-26-2013, 08:57 AM
just started fishing this year. u guys have any recommendations of local spots near calgary? within an hour preferably?

-relk-
07-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by petoria
just started fishing this year. u guys have any recommendations of local spots near calgary? within an hour preferably?
Pretty much anywhere in the southern part of the city on the bow can be good, not the easiest river to fish though imo.

The highwood out by longview can be good, but parts of the road have been closed due to the flooding. As for lakes, I don't really know...

darthVWader
07-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by petoria

Go to your local fly shop and pick up a copy of Alberta's trout highway by barry mitchell. It's a great book and will point you in the right direction. Also you could pick up his yearly mag Barry Mitchells's alberta fishing guide.

Another option that has been posted above is to join the flyfishcalgary.com forum. Lots of great info.

MGCM
06-08-2014, 10:17 PM
bumping an old thread, does anybody want a small container of anchors/weights for free? Can take pic if requested. Probably offering them for free to anyone who wants them since I have never been fishing and have zero future plans to do so.

chathamf
06-09-2014, 06:46 PM
Where are you located I could use some extra gear.

speedog
08-27-2014, 04:51 PM
For the fishermen on here, which trout pond to try out on Saturday evening - Winchell (south of Water Valley), Hiller's (NE of Didsbury) or Midway (east of Carstairs)? Will be either spin casting or fly fishing from shore or both and really don't care if we take anything home - am thinking Hiller's first because we've never been there and then off to Midway if Hiller's is dead.

Anyone been to any of these three in the past few weeks?

BTW, 2014 fish stocking report - link (http://mywildalberta.com/Fishing/documents/FishStockingReport-Jul10-2014.pdf).

chathamf
08-27-2014, 04:57 PM
I tried Midway about a month ago. Pretty much was getting a bite on every cast with a lure and powerbait. They just kept stealing the bait though. Lots of little ones I'm assuming. Still was fun though.

speedog
08-31-2014, 02:41 PM
Had some luck at Midway last night, didn't keep anything. Went over to Hiller's - no luck there. Tons of blue algae in that lake.

Am catching very nice sized pike right now by Discovery Ridge.

chathamf
08-31-2014, 08:19 PM
How'd you catch the trout at midway? Will be heading there soon.

speedog
09-03-2014, 02:58 PM
In Midway - was using smaller Panther Martin spinners for the best results (on the NW end in the bushes). Had some luck as well using a float and fly on a spin casting outfit on the NE end near the dam.

Was nice to catch 4-4.5 pound pike in the city near Discovery Ridge - will go back there soon as my 15 year old daughter lost one that was easily 5 pounds, much bigger than the 4.5 pound one we kept.

chathamf
09-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Where near discovery ridge do you go?

Fly Fishin'
09-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Does anyone have fall bass tips? I'm heading to my cottage and i might stop in and hit some bass on the way down.

ExtraSlow
09-10-2014, 09:12 PM
I don't know anything about fishing for Bass in the fall, but trout are typically very good in the fall on the Bow.

speedog
09-10-2014, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Where near discovery ridge do you go?
Started out from the Griffith Woods parking lot and headed sw towards the river. Look on Google maps satellite view and you'll see a large oxbow on the north side of the river - pike and some big trout in the oxbow.

Fly Fishin'
09-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Yah, the trout fishing is killer. my cottage lake holds some real lunkers, my best is 26" but i have seen larger. i have yet to land a western bass larger than about 3" lol

speedog
09-14-2014, 01:28 PM
Catching and releasing pike right now, going for the bigger ones I've seen.

speedog
09-14-2014, 01:30 PM
Just lost one close to five pounds.

Fly Fishin'
09-23-2014, 06:39 PM
The trout were killer last 2 weekends. B.C. lakes are giving up some hog, i got a 10ish pounder and more kokanee than i knew what to do with. The sheep was milky on Saturday but the cutties were out to play on the hopper dropper Nothing over 14

Anyone want to get out on Saturday for some brown trout? I'm thinking of hitting a pond with my pontoon. Or take a drive up to quarry lake for graylings.

BavarianBeast
09-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Where is everyone fishing this weekend?

Wanted to find a nice spot to go out and teach the ole' lady a few things. Thoughts this time of year?

Thanks

Fly Fishin'
12-21-2014, 06:27 PM
Anyone got the itch? I'm heading down to my cottage for some big rainbows. With them temps the lake will still be ice free but we can always go a few k north for bass but that will be ice fishing. There is room for a few to join so just send me a pm. I'm going from the 28th to the 30th.

Fly Fishin'
01-16-2015, 03:52 PM
Anyone want to get out Saturday and try to get some Lakers and monster pike out of the bow? Chance of drowns and rainbows too.

-relk-
01-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Fly Fishin'
Anyone want to get out Saturday and try to get some Lakers and monster pike out of the bow? Chance of drowns and rainbows too.
I am heading out Sunday. Where are you catching lakers out of the Bow? Never seen one of those come out of the Bow yet.

ExtraSlow
01-16-2015, 04:14 PM
carsland?

ExtraSlow
01-16-2015, 04:15 PM
Anyone have tips for Spray reservoir? I have a buddy just mesmerized by the idea of catching big lakers out there.

Fly Fishin'
01-16-2015, 04:37 PM
Find a big underwater bolder or other features in the 50 to 150 foot depth and jig the largest white jig you got.

Not cars land, it's in city

darthVWader
01-16-2015, 04:43 PM
You can find Lakers below Bearspaw or Ghost dams. The Bow holds a lot of different species of fish.

Bulltrout

Cutthrout

Rainbows

Browns

Brooktrout

Pike

Lakers

Rocky mountain whitefish

Lake whitefish

Sturgeon in the lower section

Walleye in the lower

Burbut

BavarianBeast
01-16-2015, 04:54 PM

I'd love to but will be snowboarding Saturday. What's up Sunday?

Fly Fishin'
01-16-2015, 05:08 PM
Haha, probably fishing.

Nooooo you ruined my secret spot lol. I only have the bottom 3 on the list to clear all the bow river species. A friend did get a sturgeon on the fly once above the weir.

Fly Fishin'
01-16-2015, 05:13 PM
Elbow dam is a good spot to for smaller browns and white fish.

Dave P
01-23-2015, 12:49 PM
DohOJVc2j6s

Wish we had clear ice like that around here.

oster
01-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Is there a yearly fish gear swap/sell meet? I thought there was one held at max bell every year, but haven't lived in Calgary for a few years now.

Thanks!

Fly Fishin'
01-27-2015, 06:33 AM
There is a small one off 14 just south of down town every year. 80% fly fishing but some great deals on gear as well. I got a bag of ice fishing gear for $5 and it's about the side of 2 fists. Power bait for $1 per bag. Drift boats as well.

-relk-
01-27-2015, 09:01 AM
There is a small one off 14 just south of down town every year. 80% fly fishing but some great deals on gear as well. I got a bag of ice fishing gear for $5 and it's about the side of 2 fists. Power bait for $1 per bag. Drift boats as well.
When is this?

darthVWader
01-27-2015, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by -relk-

When is this?

TUC Bow River Chapter’s annual Tackle Swap is normally held in April. Keep an eye on the TUC facebook page or the Bow River Shuttles facebook page.

Fly Fishin'
01-27-2015, 11:34 AM
That's the one. Get there early as it getting more and more popular but the event is not getting any larger.

KRyn
01-27-2015, 11:38 AM
I picked up some basic Fly Fishing gear last summer. I honestly have no clue where to start, can anyone make some reccomendations on any instructors / courses offered for some one to get the basics down. I am looking forward to getting out a bunch this year.

-relk-
01-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by KRyn
I picked up some basic Fly Fishing gear last summer. I honestly have no clue where to start, can anyone make some reccomendations on any instructors / courses offered for some one to get the basics down. I am looking forward to getting out a bunch this year.
Fish tales offers some beginner lessons, located here (http://www.fishtalesflyshop.com/2015/01/18/fly-fishing-level-i/) . I haven't taken them myself, but fish tales has always been awesome to work with. I did my lessons through http://www.nymphing.com/, but I like fish tales too much not to recommend them.

I wouldn't mind taking you out on the Bow or Highwood in the summer to give you some pointers as well if our schedules line up. The hardest part of fly fishing is the frustration of learning at first, but once you get the hang of it it can be extremely rewarding and fun.

The best advice I could give you is 1) practice your casting on land before getting out on the water and 2) Pick up a book or learn on your own about trout holding water. Nothing more frustrating than getting setup and getting out there and tangling up every 2 seconds. I tried this the first time going out with a fly rod, because I read that double nymph rigs were the go to, and I ended up going home within 10 minutes because I got tangled every second cast.

KRyn
01-27-2015, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by -relk-

Fish tales offers some beginner lessons, located here (http://www.fishtalesflyshop.com/2015/01/18/fly-fishing-level-i/) . I haven't taken them myself, but fish tales has always been awesome to work with. I did my lessons through http://www.nymphing.com/, but I like fish tales too much not to recommend them.

I wouldn't mind taking you out on the Bow or Highwood in the summer to give you some pointers as well if our schedules line up. The hardest part of fly fishing is the frustration of learning at first, but once you get the hang of it it can be extremely rewarding and fun.

The best advice I could give you is 1) practice your casting on land before getting out on the water and 2) Pick up a book or learn on your own about trout holding water. Nothing more frustrating than getting setup and getting out there and tangling up every 2 seconds. I tried this the first time going out with a fly rod, because I read that double nymph rigs were the go to, and I ended up going home within 10 minutes because I got tangled every second cast.

I will look into Fish Tales, appreciate the heads up.
I will make sure to PM you in the spring relk about setting something up. I work a typical Mon-Fri job so I plan to spend as many weekends as I can this summer developing some basics skills. I have a few friends who got into fly fishing last summer but they just bought some equipment watched a youtube video or two and started heading out. Needless to say they haven't had a ton of success thus far. :rofl:

darthVWader
01-27-2015, 12:21 PM
Also look into joining the flyfishcalgary forum. Lots of great info and people to fish with.

Fish tales :thumbsup: but also look into Hansons boot camp. http://www.hansons-outfitters.com/fly-fishing-boot-camp/

Fly Fishin'
01-27-2015, 01:13 PM
The Hanson boot camps are good. You might get some of my flies (I tie for them on my spare time).

I got booted from there by mods who miss read my posts and angry lol. Just troll and read what you need, the bow river reports aren't worth signing up for as its always the same flies being recommended. Still lots of great info there.

Fly Fishin'
02-03-2015, 09:11 AM
Anyone want to pop some holes and try for some trout?

Dave P
02-13-2015, 09:15 AM
Anyone fish for Burbot and want to share some secrets?

Annual Burbot Fest is coming up with some buddies and I need to change it up haha

ExtraSlow
02-13-2015, 09:35 AM
I have a picture of me when I was a kid, probably about seven years old, holding up a burbut that was almost as tall as I was. Don't really fish for them any more.
That's my tip.

Fly Fishin'
02-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Got down and deep!

C_Dave45
02-13-2015, 01:51 PM
A few pics of flyfishing. Not big fish...but fun to catch.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/pic-1105_zpsda873c0d.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/pic-4096_zps9bf78937.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/pic-4068_zps1e8a5b3e.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/pic-4099_zps697d8d2f.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/Chinook%20lake%20camping/b0c7e655-2ebd-41c9-84db-32d69a38b0b6.jpg

darthVWader
02-25-2015, 03:51 PM
That's the one. Get there early as it getting more and more popular but the event is not getting any larger.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c245/bigbowtrout/Bow%20River%20Swap_zps7clsodqo.jpg (http://s28.photobucket.com/user/bigbowtrout/media/Bow%20River%20Swap_zps7clsodqo.jpg.html)

-relk-
03-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Been out a couple times in the last couple of weeks. Caught my first laker ever, first time I have seen one of these come out of the bow. First fish on a self tied fly as well :D

http://i.imgur.com/Hjb1CGP.jpg

Saw a guy on a paddleboard navigating ice chunks on saturday down where the highwood meets the Bow, looked like he had a rod out the back trolling too :nut:

-relk-
03-23-2015, 11:30 AM
Some more success this weekend on the Bow. 5 to hand between the two of us, and many more lost. Biggest of the lot, lots of fight in em yesterday:

http://imgur.com/CBMRtNB

darthVWader
03-23-2015, 12:24 PM
Nice fish

chathamf
04-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Time to get some fishing in! Anyone been at it yet? Going to actually catch something this year I can feel it, haha.

Unknown303
04-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Going to try to get out fly fishing tomorrow morning

Sophal
05-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303
Going to try to get out fly fishing tomorrow morning

Where do you normally head to?

Unknown303
05-01-2015, 08:27 PM
The Bow on the south end of Calgary.

chathamf
05-24-2015, 12:18 PM
Anyone having any luck?

Sophal
05-24-2015, 12:34 PM
Tried at policeman's Flatt's and down by heritage, skunked. another buddy tried down by carsland and was skunked too. Water is too silty.

Clever
05-24-2015, 05:40 PM
Been around Vulcan, Chain Lakes, Gap Lake and Glenmore so far this spring and the closest to catching anything was at Gap Lake. Not a pro by any means, and it's fishing with my kids so our gear and knowledge of fishing in Alberta is very basic.

chathamf
05-24-2015, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Clever
Been around Vulcan, Chain Lakes, Gap Lake and Glenmore so far this spring and the closest to catching anything was at Gap Lake. Not a pro by any means, and it's fishing with my kids so our gear and knowledge of fishing in Alberta is very basic.

I heard the lake at Sibbald has been stocked and people having some luck. Good spot for taking the kids. I'm far from a pro either and usually bring the little ones. Be nice to catch something eventually though haha.

Clever
05-24-2015, 07:21 PM
I'll try Sibbald this week, I'll let you know how it goes. Glenmore North has been pretty good to us, we've caught a few there in the past and it easy to get to with the kids, we usually fish by the canoe club but towards the left looking at Glenmore trail.

chathamf
05-24-2015, 09:33 PM
I'll try Sibbald this week, I'll let you know how it goes. Glenmore North has been pretty good to us, we've caught a few there in the past and it easy to get to with the kids, we usually fish by the canoe club but towards the left looking at Glenmore trail.

Have never tried down there. Would be nice to get out within the city though. Let me know how Sibbald goes for sure. May head out their camping next weekend.

Fly Fishin'
05-25-2015, 06:42 AM
Anyone taking the first off for the upper bow opening day? We are putting the drifter in and hopefully shooting Harvey heights again now that the side channel is open again.

Brent.ff
05-25-2015, 06:48 AM
Banff has spiked. Runoff is on it's way. Will be a fun float, the fishing will suck.

Fly Fishin'
05-25-2015, 07:23 AM
If the mud hits I will be at work.

The old man was mud on Friday when I drove past and it was blue by Sunday.

Even the Missouri River was blue...and packed with boats.

tirebob
05-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Tomorrow we are heading up to Otter Lake in Saskatchean, about 100km north of Laronge for our annual boys trip... Can't wait! 5 days fishing for big pike and walleye, and whatever else we can tag into. Easily can catch up to and over 100 fish a day. You know fishing is good when you get annoyed with "another 3 pounder" and would rather lose it than handle it! Haha!

Clever
05-31-2015, 08:59 PM
So we just got back from Sibbald and the fish were there, just didn't get lucky. Lots of fish though and everyone else looked like they were catching some. All in all it was a good day on the lake, the kids were more focused on the frogs than fishing so that could be a factor. I was told by the park ranger that early morning and during the evening is the best time to fish there. We were there from 11-4:30.

NoPulp
05-31-2015, 09:20 PM
Caught a monster walleye today. Was at least 30inch and at least 12 pounds. Well over the size of the larger pike I've caught.

We had it in the net, but didn't bring it in the boat because we were shocked at the size I suppose. Dad went to grab it for a picture and it got free. I've fished at keho all my life and this is only the 3rd walleye I've seen there.

Looks small in this picture. As reference the hook its mouth is about a 3 inch spoon.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/130531646@N07/17irzG

chathamf
05-31-2015, 09:24 PM
So we just got back from Sibbald and the fish were there, just didn't get lucky. Lots of fish though and everyone else looked like they were catching some. All in all it was a good day on the lake, the kids were more focused on the frogs than fishing so that could be a factor. I was told by the park ranger that early morning and during the evening is the best time to fish there. We were there from 11-4:30.

Sweet! Prob head up for the weekend coming up then.

Matty_10
05-31-2015, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Tomorrow we are heading up to Otter Lake in Saskatchean, about 100km north of Laronge for our annual boys trip... Can't wait! 5 days fishing for big pike and walleye, and whatever else we can tag into. Easily can catch up to and over 100 fish a day. You know fishing is good when you get annoyed with "another 3 pounder" and would rather lose it than handle it! Haha!
Can't go wrong with Missinipe. Check out Dore/Smoothstone Lake sometime as we've caught monster jack and walleye there and its quite a bit closer of a drive.

Fly Fishin'
06-01-2015, 06:25 AM
Just had a great day at the lake with 15 to 20 nice sized rainbows, 6lbs was that catch of the day and a few nice kokanee for the BBQ. Now it's time to mess with the bow. Boat in water in 45min!

tirebob
06-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Figured I would post a couple pics from my latest fishing adventure out at Otter Lake in Missinipe Sask (about 4 hours north of Prince Albert). These were a couple of the better fish, but we caught easily over 100 fish per day each!

39.5" Pike caught and released

http://i.imgur.com/DXofuyP.jpg

23" Walleye caught and consumed

http://i.imgur.com/tReazWl.jpg

38" Pike caught and released

http://i.imgur.com/rm9PBo9.jpg

TL911
07-22-2015, 03:52 PM
Bump...anyone been out fishing lately and caught anything?

i've been planning to go but can't find a good spot for Trout or Walleye that's an hour out.

Fly Fishin'
07-22-2015, 06:56 PM
Trout are easy to find but if you want to hit the Highwood or other big name rivers get there at 5 am or don't go at all. It got crazy over the last 2 years.

For pike and walleye go check out pine coulee or clear lake...basically every large lake near calgary has pike of some size.

syscal
07-23-2015, 10:42 AM
I don't fly fish...yet....

but I'm wondering if someone can post some good info, maybe with pictures, of what a beginner spincasting and/or fly tackle box would look like for someone in Alberta. I have lots of tackle from the past 20 years, but pretty much no fish caught with the few outings I've had. Getting into it more and one of my daughters is really getting into fishing so I would like to be a little more successful at it. I have spinners, spoons, flies, all kinds of gear but honestly no idea what to use where.

I'm planning on updating my tackle box a bit and put together a tray for my daughter so any beginner help would be appreciated.

C_Dave45
07-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Learning how to be a good fly fisherman is like poker. Easy to learn (the basics) but a lifetime to perfect. Unless you want to SERIOUSLY get into being an avid fly fisherman...I would stick to spin cast fishing. It's much easier to catch fish and much cheaper. For an easy fishing trip take your kid(s) down to chain lakes. Hook and worm or some corn and you'll catch rainbows and whitefish all day long.

syscal
07-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Yea, no plans to start fly fishing yet. Buddy of mine keeps telling me I should but I like spin casting.

Brent.ff
07-23-2015, 02:37 PM
First time you fight a good fish on a fly rod (properly), you'll never want to spin fish again. Let alone getting a big fish eating a dry..

C_Dave45
07-23-2015, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
First time you fight a good fish on a fly rod (properly), you'll never want to spin fish again. Let alone getting a big fish eating a dry..
Completely agree!! Omg the feeling is like night and day. If I want to just get a fish to bring home to eat. ..then it's my spin gear. But if I want the thrill of feeling every little detail and heart stopping fishing then it's my fly gear. But it is not an easy learning curve. And the money...God the money you can spend lol. Reels, lines, flies, gear....easily spend thousands. My wife tried....but now she just likes to spin cast fish.

Fly Fishin'
07-23-2015, 10:00 PM
https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xtf1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/11741065_10155788191500573_2546444807563587875_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

I will take these all day on the fly over a spin cast, but I think both are very good ways at catching fish in different situations. I have had days when flies don't work but the old red and white is killing.

Brent.ff
07-23-2015, 10:33 PM
If you're gonna get into fly. Take a lesson! The amount of guys I see out there just beating the hell out of the water is pretty astonishing. A lesson or two will shave 5 years off the time input

Country Pleasures is pretty awesome for schools. Kevin is a guy who radiates fishing

Fly Fishin'. I raise you an ocean-going one:
https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/l/t31.0-8/1167254_10153127753310234_1826779555_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Fly Fishin'
07-24-2015, 06:40 AM
Oh snap! Nice fish, I have yet to do a steal head trip. I hooked one while going for shewswap rainbows but it schooled me really quick. I'm still looking for my summer trophy fish from my cottage lake, that one I posted is probably 21" (the net is 19.5" where it is laying), the big ones push 30 but are very picky.

I'm heading out to ottawa for a few weeks so I hope to tag a few nice fish out there.

I tie flies for Hansons down town and they run a very afordable class that comes with a rod real and line. Good half day down at the white farm house by policeman flats and some on the water time. BBQ lunch is included.

dubhead
07-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by syscal

but I'm wondering if someone can post some good info, maybe with pictures, of what a beginner spincasting and/or fly tackle box would look like for someone in Alberta. I have lots of tackle from the past 20 years, but pretty much no fish caught with the few outings I've had. Getting into it more and one of my daughters is really getting into fishing so I would like to be a little more successful at it. I have spinners, spoons, flies, all kinds of gear but honestly no idea what to use where.

I'm planning on updating my tackle box a bit and put together a tray for my daughter so any beginner help would be appreciated.

Pike fishing can't go wrong with a good old Red and White stripe or Five of diamond spoon.

Lately though been killing on these even got my first Walleye on one last week in Slave lake.

http://storm.fishing/sites/storm.fishing/files/product-image-zoom/product_images/WLPE_OBP.jpg

Feel ultra devious catching pike on the pike bait like this, those cannibals. :eek:

Trout fishing however is not my forte with no lack of trying.

Street_Soldier
07-24-2015, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by syscal

Pike will eat anything, the general rule is the bigger the lure the better. I pretty much exclusively use crank baits when I fish pike/walleye. Popular lures are Len Thompsons spoons, five of diamonds is said to be the best. Large Blue Fox spinners, Any rapala, I use the deep divers and husky jerks. Lots of people love spinner baits to and they work well.

When fishing for trout I use crank baits mainly, every once in awhile ill use small panther martin spinners or Gibbs spoons. Make sure the hooks are small cause trout have small mouths. If you are going with crank baits go with the countdowns. Crank baits are better for the larger trout but it also works on small trout too just need to use smaller sizes. Chironomids are also very productive, they account for like 80%-90% of a trout's diet. I use them on my fly rod but seen lots of people use them with spinning gear.

Maybe take your daughter to the Bow Habitat Station, they offer some classes for kids to get them into fishing.

Brent.ff
08-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Effective August 11, 2015 the following waters have been
closed to all fishing; due to high water temperatures,
until further notice:
1. Belly River and tributaries downstream of Secondary Road 800,
2. Bow River and tributaries from Bearspaw Dam to Bassano Dam,
3. Elbow River and tributaries below Glenmore Reservoir,
4. Gorge Creek and tributaries,
5. Highwood River and tributaries,
6. Sheep River and tributaries,
7. St. Mary River and tributaries below St. Mary Reservoir,
8. Threepoint Creek and tributaries.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

syscal
08-12-2015, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Brent.ff
Effective August 11, 2015 the following waters have been
closed to all fishing; due to high water temperatures,
until further notice:
1. Belly River and tributaries downstream of Secondary Road 800,
2. Bow River and tributaries from Bearspaw Dam to Bassano Dam,
3. Elbow River and tributaries below Glenmore Reservoir,
4. Gorge Creek and tributaries,
5. Highwood River and tributaries,
6. Sheep River and tributaries,
7. St. Mary River and tributaries below St. Mary Reservoir,
8. Threepoint Creek and tributaries.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/

Closures are updated. EDIT - NM, not updated...just written differently I guess.

Sheep River from headwaters to Highwood River;
Highwood River from headwaters to Bow River;
St. Mary River, downstream of the St. Mary Reservoir and tributaries;
Belly River, downstream of Secondary Road 800;
Bow River from Bearspaw Reservoir to the W.H.D. Weir;
Bow River from W.H.D Weir to the Carseland Weir;
Bow River from Carseland Weir to Highway 24 bridge;
Bow River from Highway 24 bridge downstream to Bassano Dam;
Elbow River from Glenmore Reservoir to the Bow River confluence.

If I read this right, I can head to Cochrane or further West no problem, just avoid Highwood in K country? For Bow River anyway. Any suggestions on where else to try out West? Looking at Ghost River now as well, I've never been that way.

Brent.ff
08-13-2015, 01:39 PM
Correct syscal. And the sheep.

I'd be looking at lakes like Upper K. Suspect everything is going to kind of suck with the current weather.

BavarianBeast
08-13-2015, 01:55 PM
Did really well this past weekend out in the Haidai Gwaii.

Caught our limits every single day.

Landed a couple 150+lb halibuts that we had to catch and release due to new regulations.

s_havinga
08-13-2015, 03:12 PM
Interesting, why does high water temp close fishing?

ExtraSlow
08-13-2015, 03:32 PM
Stresses the fish. Warm water holds less oxygen.

Unknown303
08-13-2015, 06:28 PM
I believe it also has a lot to do with taking the fish off the hook and holding them above the water in +30°C weather. Above certain temperatures and having them out of the water is very detrimental to their health.