PDA

View Full Version : How to fix a cracked front lip??

Ferio_vti
02-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Lousy winter has left me with a very hurt from SiR lip.
Chunk o' plastic and a crack on the underside, the crack just peeking out front.
And one of the fixtures for the screws is detached from the lip.

Where can I take it to get repaired and/or painted?? Or would it be easy enough to just repair DIY??

And I've learned why painting it yourself doesn't work. The snow, ice and pressure washing really takes it off quick.

DefektiveVibe
03-15-2004, 03:06 PM
the crack on the underside of your car can be fixed with an hanger if you really cant see it...i put screws in for mine when it cracked.

7thgenvic
03-15-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by DefektiveVibe
the crack on the underside of your car can be fixed with an hanger if you really cant see it...i put screws in for mine when it cracked.

thats sort of ghetto, depending on what material the lip is made out of, you may be able to get the lip molded to your bumper or have the lip re-fiberglassed and then repainted, thats your best bet, maybe bondo and repaint could work depending on how large the crack may be.

dem are my suggestions

Ferio_vti
03-15-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

thats sort of ghetto, depending on what material the lip is made out of, you may be able to get the lip molded to your bumper or have the lip re-fiberglassed and then repainted, thats your best bet, maybe bondo and repaint could work depending on how large the crack may be.

dem are my suggestions

Its Honda OEM, so what ever that's made of.

Moe Man
03-15-2004, 10:07 PM
fiberglass it

rc2002
03-15-2004, 10:21 PM
I have a fibreglass repair kit that's never been used if you're interested...

If you do the fibreglass and sanding yourself, then paint shouldn't be expensive at all.

Ferio_vti
03-15-2004, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I have a fibreglass repair kit that's never been used if you're interested...

If you do the fibreglass and sanding yourself, then paint shouldn't be expensive at all.

How much you want for it?? How much are kits new??

THREE40SEVEN
03-15-2004, 11:16 PM
:rofl: LOL.. You guys are funny.
If you want to fix it properly, there are resins available for urethane. You'll have to repaint the entire lip/bumper though.
Fiberglass will crack quickly, as it doesent expand, contract or flex like urethane.
I like the hanger/screws idea. Very classy :thumbsup:

Scat
03-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by THREE40SEVEN
:rofl: LOL.. You guys are funny.
If you want to fix it properly, there are resins available for urethane. You'll have to repaint the entire lip/bumper though.
Fiberglass will crack quickly, as it doesent expand, contract or flex like urethane.
I like the hanger/screws idea. Very classy :thumbsup:

If the lip is urethane you can use a heavy duty plastic repair kit. If its fibreglass then obviously use a fibreglass repair kit. I cracked my front lip and to fix it i used home-made aluminum brackets and rivets to hold it together and then used a plastic repair kit. After you take off the brackets and rivets, you will need to patch the holes. Its kind of a pain in the ass but the rivets made sure that it all stayed together and was straight. Then again mine was broken into two pieces. If its just a small crack you could probably use the urethane repair kit from the backside of the lip to hold it together. It wouldn't be perfect but you might not have to repaint it that way.

Ferio_vti
03-16-2004, 08:17 PM
Where's the best place to get urethane repair kits??
Its not a huge crack, but its peeking out from the bottom. I don't want it to spread up the lip any more.