PDA

View Full Version : Best Roads in the West Coast?

flipstah
05-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Longshot but here goes nothing:

I'm planning a road trip to the West Coast. I've done this trip before in a Volvo XC90 so potholes, ridges, etc. are not a big deal.

Since I have a Golf now (and especially after dealing with a crappy section of Canada's Highway 2), I'd like to do a more proactive approach towards my routing.

Now, I was contemplating of either heading to Sacramento or Los Angeles first. This is what I've determined based on what I remember:

http://i.imgur.com/fGYpSol.png

vs.

http://i.imgur.com/r6EMRwm.png

Maybe someone can chime in and lay down their thoughts.

It doesn't matter how fast I'll get there; just want all 4 tires in one piece. Maybe spirited driving once in a while so if there are twisties, that would be nice.

Once I'm California, I'll be doing the usual fun stuff: PCH, beaches, shopping, etc.

Hopefully someone can help!

TYMSMNY
05-09-2013, 01:44 PM
I5 is such a nice road to drive on. Definitely can get your "spirited driving" needs fulfilled.

You're first map is pretty much MEH all the way.

flipstah
05-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
I5 is such a nice road to drive on. Definitely can get your "spirited driving" needs fulfilled.

You're first map is pretty much MEH all the way.

No doubt I-5 down to Sacramento would be spot-free but the one I circled (given by Google Maps) is Highway 97 or something. This one goes through Bend, Oregon if that helps.

I-5 would be no issue but I'll have to drive further west to Portland to reach it.

taemo
05-09-2013, 01:55 PM
my 2c since I've done that road-trip but did Calgary-SanFran-PismoBeach-LA-Vegas.

Do it clock-wise. Drive the boring route first (Montana, Idaho, Utah) on your vacation as IMO, once you are north of SLC on your way home, you are just dying to get home, where as if you do Oregon, Washington and maybe BC/Vancouver last it will be more pleasant and more places to stop on your way home.

Plus I've read and heard from a lot of people that driving PCH is better done northbound.

Roads in HWY15 is smooth from Calgary to Vegas IMO (drove my wrx and parents audi a4)

here's our pit-stop when we drove Calgary to San Francisco
Calgary to Cranbrook
388KM - hwy3/95
Shell 1733 Cranbrook St N, Cranbrook, BC V1C 3S9

Cranbrook to Spokane
303KM - hwy3/95 to I90
4110 S Fosseen Rd, Spokane, WA
IHOP - 5403 East Sprague Avenue, Spokane Valley

Spokane to Kennewick
225KM - I90 to H395
1002 South Washington Street, Kennewick, WA

Kennewick to Bend
389KM - H395/I82 to I84/H30 to H97
981 Northwest Galveston Avenue, Bend, OR
Jack in a Box - 3040 Washburn Wy, Klamath Falls, OR

Bend to Weed
334KM - H97
1976 Shastina Drive, Weed, CA

Weed to San Francisco
458KM - I5 to I505 to I80 to I780
180 N Virginia Way, Williams, CA

flipstah
05-09-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by taemo
my 2c since I've done that road-trip but did Calgary-SanFran-PismoBeach-LA-Vegas.

Do it clock-wise. Drive the boring route first (Montana, Idaho, Utah) on your vacation as IMO, once you are north of SLC on your way home, you are just dying to get home, where as if you do Oregon, Washington and maybe BC/Vancouver last it will be more pleasant and more places to stop on your way home.

Plus I've read and heard from a lot of people that driving PCH is better done northbound.

Roads in HWY15 is smooth from Calgary to Vegas IMO (drove my wrx and parents audi a4)

here's our pit-stop when we drove Calgary to San Francisco
Calgary to Cranbrook
388KM - hwy3/95
Shell 1733 Cranbrook St N, Cranbrook, BC V1C 3S9

Cranbrook to Spokane
303KM - hwy3/95 to I90
4110 S Fosseen Rd, Spokane, WA
IHOP - 5403 East Sprague Avenue, Spokane Valley

Spokane to Kennewick
225KM - I90 to H395
1002 South Washington Street, Kennewick, WA

Kennewick to Bend
389KM - H395/I82 to I84/H30 to H97
981 Northwest Galveston Avenue, Bend, OR
Jack in a Box - 3040 Washburn Wy, Klamath Falls, OR

Bend to Weed
334KM - H97
1976 Shastina Drive, Weed, CA

Weed to San Francisco
458KM - I5 to I505 to I80 to I780
180 N Virginia Way, Williams, CA

Interstate 15 has been good to me and pretty much have no issues with anything Interstate.

I see that you took H97 Kennewick to Bend. Anything interesting to note and how far are gas stations?

taemo
05-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Interstate 15 has been good to me and pretty much have no issues with anything Interstate.

I see that you took H97 Kennewick to Bend. Anything interesting to note and how far are gas stations?

there's pretty much gas in every town that you will drive through, I brought a gas can with me just in case but never really needed it.
But then I was being conservative and was filling up every 300KM on my WRX. Just be careful in small towns what time you will be driving through them just to make sure that they are open late at night.
I wouldnt recommend taking that route though unless you are in a hurry to get home.
do I5 and see Portland, Seattle maybe.

Bend is a very tiny town though but their diner makes some awesome burger

flipstah
05-09-2013, 02:16 PM

there's pretty much gas in every town that you will drive through, I brought a gas can with me just in case but never really needed it.
But then I was being conservative and was filling up every 300KM on my WRX. Just be careful in small towns what time you will be driving through them just to make sure that they are open late at night.
I wouldnt recommend taking that route though unless you are in a hurry to get home.
do I5 and see Portland, Seattle maybe.

Bend is a very tiny town though but their diner makes some awesome burger

In that case, I've come up with this route:

http://i.imgur.com/eVjDUR1.jpg

Bypasses that HWY97 and pretty much rides out I-5 for a more risk-adverse journey.

This is mostly for driving and scenic 'vacation'. If that makes any sense...

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Highway 99 is great but I'd be worried about bending a wheel on your car in a few sections.

taemo
05-09-2013, 02:29 PM
^looks good! how many days will you doing this road-trip and how many drivers?

i've asked my fiance if she wanted to do another one, but she doesn't want to drive 24 hours non-stop anymore unless maybe Seattle or Vancouver.

have you been to the grand canyon?
the skywalk is only 2 hours away from Vegas

hopefully we can see pics in the photo section once you are back

flipstah
05-09-2013, 02:35 PM
^looks good! how many days will you doing this road-trip and how many drivers?

i've asked my fiance if she wanted to do another one, but she doesn't want to drive 24 hours non-stop anymore unless maybe Seattle or Vancouver.

have you been to the grand canyon?
the skywalk is only 2 hours away from Vegas

hopefully we can see pics in the photo section once you are back

4 days; me as primary and I have two other drivers to back me up (1 if the brother doesn't wanna tag along).

I haven't been to the Grand Canyon and I've always driven past the Arizona/Nevada border and never thought once of it.

The Skywalk is an expensive glass bridge to a giant hole. I'd probably go see it but it's always night time whenever we're close so no time to enjoy it.

Still planning but we shall see :)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-09-2013, 02:37 PM

4 days; me as primary and I have three other drivers to back me up (2 if the brother doesn't wanna tag along).

I haven't been to the Grand Canyon but I've always driven past the Arizona/Nevada border and never thought once of it.

The Skywalk is an expensive glass bridge to a giant hole. I'd probably go see it but it's always night time whenever we're close so no time to enjoy it.

Still planning but we shall see :)

Only 4 days? I'm doing a similar trip with my dad that I told you about last night, we are taking 16 days to do ours with a 6 day stop over in Vegas.

flipstah
05-09-2013, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Only 4 days? I'm doing a similar trip with my dad that I told you about last night, we are taking 16 days to do ours with a 6 day stop over in Vegas.

I'm sick of Vegas. Been there so many times. :rofl:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-09-2013, 02:45 PM

I'm sick of Vegas. Been there so many times. :rofl:

Not so much the Vegas part but the amount of km in 4 days is pretty high in my opinion, no time to relax and enjoy the scenery.

taemo
05-09-2013, 02:46 PM
only four days? i would atleast do 6 or 7.
4 days meana you will be on the road for half the trip.
where will you be spending your nights?

flipstah
05-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Probably LA, San Fran, then Portland.

The point of this drive is to well, drive haha. I've scoured the entire coastline in terms of scenery and shopping but never had a driver-oriented trip down there.

Just burn gas and enjoy the sights and eats. :drool:

flipstah
05-11-2013, 09:41 AM
only four days? i would atleast do 6 or 7.
4 days meana you will be on the road for half the trip.
where will you be spending your nights?

Actually, I'll opt for 7 days min because I want to enjoy the drive haha.

I want to try this route out and Mullohand Drive(?)

w74owK-tDVA

Team_Mclaren
05-11-2013, 10:31 AM
If you wanna drive for 4 days straight just go up and down alberta highway 40 for 4 days. :rofl: :rofl: Both of the routes you labed are boring as fuck. There are maybe 10 hours of "fun" roads out of there.

Go drive straight the fuck down to SD through SLC and LV, then take PCH all the way up to Van, from Van take highway 3 back to Calgary. Or do it in reverse, cause you'll be tired and want an easy drive on the last few days.

Rat Fink
05-12-2013, 09:35 AM