PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer at a Hospital

Maybelater
05-09-2013, 11:32 PM
Has anyone on here volunteered for AHS, or can any hospital workers tell me what you can expect/do as a volunteer at a hospital?

Thank you :D

desto2para
05-10-2013, 06:38 AM
Interested to know as well.
I've heard that the new one in the south is looking for help.

Onechan
05-10-2013, 09:20 AM
It's pretty rewarding depending on what you're interested in.
You sit with a volunteer councilor and discuss what you want out of it. Unless you know specifically what department, type, environment you want, they will help advise you.

AHS doesn't ask much of you. Just whatever time you can spare and maybe like 4hrs once a week (if even). You get a little bright vest to keep and pins for your years.

They don't expect you to do grunt work. You can be something as simple as a location director (you show people where to go from the main entrance) or something more specific like playing video games with patients, to just background stocking stuff.
There's gift shop volunteers and event coordinators. Every site will have their own needs. So ask the AHS =)

Every year you get a special dinner reward. My fav. is the zoo dinner (free admission, wonderful buffet at the safari, and they acknowledge your help.

summerlove.xo
05-10-2013, 04:15 PM
There are a number of volunteering positions available at the hospital, it just depends on what is available at the time. You can always take on one position and then switch to something else if there is a different position that comes up that you are interested in.

I volunteered for one department where I just helped with office work, putting together pamphlets that are handed out to patients etc.. It was only like 4 hours every two weeks. I also volunteered in another unit where I helped out in the evenings for about 3 hours a week before, during, and after dinner time to hand out food, help patients and just keep some of them company since some of them are there long term.