PDA

View Full Version : Heading to Cuba at the end of the Month (Varadero)

kaddy
05-10-2013, 11:36 AM
So I'm making my first trip to Cuba the end of the month for 10 days. We're staying at the Melia Varadero.

Any recommendations on things to do? How much cash would you bring?

I definitely wanna tour a cigar factory as well as purchase a few cases to bring home. Not sure if I'll buy all originals or try some off the street.

2.2vtec
05-10-2013, 11:49 AM
you are going to have to post how you like it. I was looking at this resort for end of June

KRyn
05-10-2013, 12:02 PM
Make sure you spend a day and travel into Havana, great city with a ton of history and awesome cars. Worth the cash and time for sure. A few hundred US dollars will go a long way, make sure to bring lots of $1.00 bills to tip people with!

whiskas
05-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Rent a car and go tour the island. It's very safe and it gets really nice especially towards the southern part of the island.

kaddy
05-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec
you are going to have to post how you like it. I was looking at this resort for end of June

Will do, was debating the Paradisus Varadero (http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g147275-d262760-Reviews-Paradisus_Varadero_Resort_Spa-Varadero_Matanzas_Province_Cuba.html) for a long time, but paid a bit more for the Melia Varaderol ocean room. Hated how the Paradisus has Royal Service upgrade, seems like you'd be second class if you don't get the upgrade.

Yes, will for sure be going to Havana, can't wait to see the city. Never thought about renting a car and touring around though.

lasimmon
05-10-2013, 02:08 PM
When I was there we rented scooters and ripped around Varadero. Had a blast!

Masked Bandit
05-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
Rent a car and go tour the island. It's very safe and it gets really nice especially towards the southern part of the island.

Be VERY careful if you rent a car. It's not like here in Canada. If you are involved in an accident you are held in custody until the issue is resolved in court. It was just a year or two ago that a kid (19/20) was in Cuba with his mother and was involved in a minor accident (don't remember who was at fault) and the kid sat in jail for several months. We didn't realize this when we were down there in 2010 but knowing this now I would never rent a car / scooter down there.

Do a day in Havana and go see the Tropicana Show. It's not the best show you'll ever see but it is known the world over and comes with a free cigar & a bottle of rum. The "Jeep Safari" is a bit misleading, you end up driving a Chevy Tracker around the country side caravan style with 15 other vehicles and four people to a Tracker (no AC).

I wouldn't bother with the US dollars, we just converted Canadian to CUC's (convertible Pesos or "tourist money") when we got there and the resort staff didn't seem to care if it was CUC's or US dollars.

roopi
05-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Be VERY careful if you rent a car. It's not like here in Canada. If you are involved in an accident you are held in custody until the issue is resolved in court. It was just a year or two ago that a kid (19/20) was in Cuba with his mother and was involved in a minor accident (don't remember who was at fault) and the kid sat in jail for several months. We didn't realize this when we were down there in 2010 but knowing this now I would never rent a car / scooter down there.

Do a day in Havana and go see the Tropicana Show. It's not the best show you'll ever see but it is known the world over and comes with a free cigar & a bottle of rum. The "Jeep Safari" is a bit misleading, you end up driving a Chevy Tracker around the country side caravan style with 15 other vehicles and four people to a Tracker (no AC).

I wouldn't bother with the US dollars, we just converted Canadian to CUC's (convertible Pesos or "tourist money") when we got there and the resort staff didn't seem to care if it was CUC's or US dollars.

Here is the article relating to that.

rx7boi
05-10-2013, 06:58 PM
+1 for what Masked Bandit said. As far as the Jeep Safari goes, you drive around in Suzuki SUV's. They are all standard so make sure you drive stick. There are a shitload of potholes everywhere so it was not fun. We hit up a ranch, had lunch, went driving and sightseeing.

Varadero is nice. The Catamaran Cruise is a very popular choice. The cruise will take you out to an Island with wicked nice white sand beaches.

Me and the gf didn't bother with the Havana excursion since it was hot as fuck and we didn't feel like walking around for hours.

joyridder
05-10-2013, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by kaddy

Will do, was debating the Paradisus Varadero (http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g147275-d262760-Reviews-Paradisus_Varadero_Resort_Spa-Varadero_Matanzas_Province_Cuba.html) for a long time, but paid a bit more for the Melia Varaderol ocean room. Hated how the Paradisus has Royal Service upgrade, seems like you'd be second class if you don't get the upgrade.

Yes, will for sure be going to Havana, can't wait to see the city. Never thought about renting a car and touring around though.
I stayed at paridisus, I thought it was a really good resort and a great beach. I wouldn't bother with the Royal service. My only complaint was the food, which seems to be par for the course in Cuba. With that said, I would definately stay there again.