PDA

View Full Version : Natural gas bbq hookup

Doozer
05-10-2013, 03:48 PM
Does anyone know if hooking a natural gas bbq up to an existing line is something you need a professional for, or can anyone do it?

We've already got a line out to the deck that we did when we built the house, but we've been using our old propane bbq out of convenience. This year we're finally getting a natural gas bbq, but I'm not sure if I need to call someone out to hook it up, or whether it's something I can do myself.

On a related note, does anyone think it matters whether we buy a purpose-built natural gas bbq, or one with a conversion kit? It seems like virtually every new bbq out there comes with a "natural gas" version for a bit more, which I'm assuming is just some sort of different adapter?

Any advice on these 2 points would be appreciated, thanks.

Kloubek
05-10-2013, 03:54 PM
If you have an actual line with the fitting on the end, hooking it up is as simple as just clicking it on. 2 seconds.

If you're going to buy a new bbq anyway, buy one made for natural gas. I've heard the conversion kits are hit and miss.... and trust me, once you're on gas you'll never go back to propane.

Doozer
05-10-2013, 04:01 PM
Doesn't look like there's anything to "click to". What I have is the gas line that comes out from the house, there's a shut-off valve and a 90 degree bend, and then a round metal cap on the end. What it looks like is once the valve is shut off, I can get the end off with the pipe wrench, and presumably the bbq will have some adapter that fits on the end of the pipe?

lilmira
05-10-2013, 04:09 PM
You can install the quick connect yourself. Go to BBQ galore, they'll hook you up! As long as you have a shut off valve, you are pretty safe.

tch7
05-10-2013, 07:36 PM
The BBQ will probably only come with the quick-connect adaptor.
Since your line is capped it probably means it's 1/2", so you need to get to get reducer to bring it to 3/8" and then a coupling (plus yellow teflon tape). Cost me about $8 or so I believe at Home Depot. When I asked the guy at HD, he knew exactly what I was trying to do and took me to the right parts straight away. Rona didn't have the right fittings.

Very easy DIY task.