PDA

View Full Version : Telus Optik TV outage

Khyron
05-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Have been rock solid for the last 2 years, but tonight it just went black for any show. Can see the menu but no guide, no recordings.

I assumed the hard drive in the PVR died, but when I called support they have a message saying "black screen, no recordings - we have an outage for all of Calgary, will be fixed sometime" which describes me.

First of all, WTF do I need to call home base to watch my recordings? What idiot would program that? Recordings should work no matter what the connection status. The other possibility is more grim - if they pushed out a bad flash update that now can't see the drives. That could be very ugly to fix.

spikerS
05-10-2013, 11:14 PM
i am on telus, no issues here

D'z Nutz
05-10-2013, 11:15 PM
When did this happen? It's working for me now.

Kloubek
05-10-2013, 11:18 PM
Had an issue for me too. First some channels wouldn't show up and switching channels was slow. Then I tried rebooting the device, and it will not reset - just sits there asking me to wait for a (long) moment.

Haven't tried it for a couple of hours.

I also wondered why my recordings - on the freakin hard drive - were not accessible.

Khyron
05-10-2013, 11:19 PM
Like maybe 7pm. The phone recording said if you order PPV or watch a recording you may get zapped with the black screen. It also says to check www.telus.com/outage for updates, which is crashed - hence me figuring it was a bunch of people. Internet is fine, obviously. I will call em again.

Kloubek
05-10-2013, 11:21 PM
The outage page has an outage. That's fucking awesome. *slow clap*

spikerS
05-10-2013, 11:28 PM
yeah, there is an outage, and the PVR functions are causing it. Rebooting it can cause the black screen as well

You may notice a bit of a delay between channels, but if you dont use the PVR, video on demand, you should be ok.

Khyron
05-10-2013, 11:31 PM
Outage page finally works, ugh - bunch of baboons.

Outage Identified
Outage Type: Source issue Outage Type Information
Status Update: Some Optik TV customers may experience TV issues. The following will lead to service interruption: Attempting to watch recorded content on the PVR, attempting to order Video-On-Demand Content and rebooting your Optik TV Set-top Box. Non PVR Set-top boxes will still function. We are currently working towards a resolution and apologize for the inconvienience. We will continue to provide updates as soon as they are available. Thank you for your patience.
Estimated time of resolution is TBD.

CanmoreOrLess
05-11-2013, 09:19 AM
Count me in here, black screen, etc since at least 1500hrs Friday. Now I have a black screen asking for a code. I have never had a code, so I enter 0000 and also try 1234 and it says to make a new code, attempt to do this and it says I cannot make a new code.

Rock solid for two years. On Telus chat to see what is what, last night it was 45 mins on chat and I gave up on using customer service on the phone after 45 mins.

Telus "Home Services Outages" page shows all issues as resolved in my area. I guess they forgot about little old me.

Will my ego let me crawl back to Shaw? Old girlfriends age well in my memory, fucked if Shaw does. Can't do Shaw. No way.

spikerS
05-11-2013, 10:06 AM
apparently this got resolved last night, and if you are affected now, a simple reboot again will bring it all back.

CanmoreOrLess
05-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Rebooted for the tenth time in 24 hours, fixed. Telus Chat gave me the secret, part of the convo as follows:

Maria: My apologies for the inconvenience. We do not have any gift for this. However, we can provide a $10 credit for the inconvenience.

9:56:36 AM MDT : me: $10 that's all?

9:56:47 AM MDT : me: how about 25$ (was seeking $20 really)

9:58:04 AM MDT : Maria: Here is what I can offer, I can provide you $5 discount for 6 mos on your Internet.

9:58:54 AM MDT : me: so you are offering $10 credit and $5 off my internet for six months?

9:59:19 AM MDT : Maria: It will be just the $5 credit for 6 mos.

9:59:39 AM MDT : me: ok i'll take the $5 off my internet for six months.

eblend
05-11-2013, 11:10 AM
Watched all the playoff games last night, some recordings, and continue watching tv this morning, didn't see any outage so was definitely isolated to some areas.

danno
05-11-2013, 12:48 PM
In evergreen mine was out from 3pm till about 11pm. First problem with telus tv in 2 years so I don't really care.

Khyron
05-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Hrm - well this part was interesting:

3:17:25 PM : Chris: Yes, I certainly understand that, you can send feedback anytime to [email protected] regarding your experience and hopefully we can improve on that in the future. As far as I am aware, the content recorded on the PVR is still under broadcasting licenses by providers, the PVR would need to authenticate with our servers here to confirm service, which would enable the license to content recorded being viewable. This is then shared across all boxes in your home to be viewed. If the PVR is not working / authenticated, just as how you are not able to bring your PVR box to a friends to view content or download it to a computer to save applies. Hopefully we can improve on this technology in the future.

So if you cut your service, all the content on your box is unavailable. Unlike my old Bell box which I could just plug into a TV and use (to catch up after switching providers)

eblend
05-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by danno
In evergreen mine was out from 3pm till about 11pm. First problem with telus tv in 2 years so I don't really care.

Interesting, I am in Evergreen and had no outage. Like I said before, I would have known haha, watched Mayday recordings plus every single NHL game on Friday night. Interesting outage..seems to only affect some but not others.

danno
05-12-2013, 08:22 AM
First the hd started to go then at about 5 nothing worked. I didn't check again till 11. Wife's parents in shawnessy had problems too, not sure exactly what they had for problem though.