PDA

View Full Version : C6 z06 vs e92 M3

AudiPWR
05-12-2013, 07:39 AM
Hey all,

I have been thinking about getting a new car. Something with 2 doors and a V8. I had my heart set on the e92 M3, but after driving a 2008 z06 I had a change of heart. I know the M3 will be more practical for every day use, however I have a winter car and I only drive about 400km/month at the most as I live in Ft Mac for most of the time.

Anyone have any thoughts on the two cars? I know the Z06 interior isn't on par with BMW, but thats not a big deal. I can find a very low KM C6 z06 for about 50K, and the E92 M3 for about 45-55k.

I am coming from a Cobalt SS Supercharged ---> B7 Audi S4 ---> Pretty highly modified 135i..

HiTempguy1
05-12-2013, 08:21 AM
Do you ever track your cars?

Other than that, your monthly mileage is so low, I say go Z06 first. Since you are buying used, it's not like you can't sell it and buy the other one if you want without really losing any money.

I think everyone has to experience at least once the locomotive like amounts of torque that only a domestic v8 typically produces. Plus if you slap an exhaust system on it, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng :thumbsup:

Of course, it seems like considering the prior vehicles you've owned, you may not feel the interior of the corvette is justified for the price, which is reasonable for somebody that has experienced nicer quality interiors outside of the typical domestic.

benyl
05-12-2013, 08:25 AM
going from a modified 135i to a stock M3 will be pretty disappoint in the power delivery department. Handling will likely be better depending on what was done to the 135.

Can't say anything about a C6 as I haven't even sat in one.

atgilchrist
05-12-2013, 09:12 AM
I'd say try out the C63 if you like torque, but that would contribute to Beyond's Civic-ifaction of the car haha.

AudiPWR
05-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the input. I probably would only be taking the car to the 1/4 mile strip. I thought about the C63 but I'm not a fan of four doors, or automatic and the coupe is a little too expensive for me right now.

I was watching videos of the Z06 with some exhaust systems and wow, they sound amazing.

InRich
05-12-2013, 10:34 AM
if your gonna get a Z06 get one from the states...
I used cars.com to find my last one.
You'll love the z06, you should get it, their alot of fun.

Hallowed_point
05-12-2013, 10:50 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I think everyone has to experience at least once the locomotive like amounts of torque that only a domestic v8 typically produces. Plus if you slap an exhaust system on it, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng :thumbsup: [/ that has QUOTE]

Oo2MzyPiZ08

:drool: :drool: This should help you with your decision! Even with the stock exhaust the c6 Z06 sounds insane.

euro_racer
05-12-2013, 10:59 AM
im on my 4th corvette (tt c5, c6 base, 06 z06, and now 08 zo6)... i love them all. best bang for buck, great gas mileage, east to mod and it is very derivable that sometimes you forget you are driving a 500hp car! not to mention drop dead sexy! (IMO)

as for looking in the states, it's not what it used to be some time ago. prices over here are not much different and when you factor in the trip down there and the trip/shipping back it is not worth it. deals can be found on both sides of the border, just depends on your negotiation skills :D

can't comment on the m3, although i would imagine them being in a different class, i'm sure it is a fine car. i hear it is under-powered though.

Hallowed_point
05-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
[QUOTE]Originally posted by HiTempguy1
I think everyone has to experience at least once the locomotive like amounts of torque that only a domestic v8 typically produces. Plus if you slap an exhaust system on it, hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng :thumbsup: [/ that has QUOTE]

Oo2MzyPiZ08

:drool: :drool: This should help you with your decision! Even with the stock exhaust the c6 Z06 sounds insane.

The M3 makes a low (stock) ratio of torque to
horsepower. Something like ~225 rwtq on a dyno
dynamics. Pretty underwhelming for such a heavy
car. They do rev really high though and they sound
nice.

I would go Z06.

Darkane
05-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Everyone has a vette here.

Go with the M3. It won't be gutless here - were close enough to sea level.

CSMRX7
05-12-2013, 12:32 PM
I have a fair amount of seat time in both cars, although most of the z06 time is on the track.

The M3 is much more refined ad capable of being a relatively comfortable DD. With that it makes some compromises in the pure performance catagory. If all out performance is your goal than Z06 is where to go.

That being said I found the m3 to be more fun as it requires a bit more finese to be fast, but is also easier to modulate at the limit (read slide, trail brake etc).

I think in most street situations though the Z06 is more exciting, and the M3 is more rewarding as a driver.

vengie
05-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Z06 for sure Kelly. The you can take me for a rip ;)

R!zz0
05-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Z06 for sure.

syWJbD1rf0Y

R!zz0
05-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Double post

Redlyne_mr2
05-12-2013, 02:55 PM
Get an M3, seems like you don't keep your cars very long. Enjoy it for a couple of years then sell it for the same amount you originally paid.

I was following a vette on the highway the other day and the fberglass rear portion of the body vibrated over bumps. It's a great car for the money but it's not my style.

mgwatson
05-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
I probably would only be taking the car to the 1/4 mile strip.
Then get a z06. M3s aren't mean't for the drag strip.. It's a waste of everything that goes into that car.

AudiPWR
05-12-2013, 04:37 PM
I'm kind of leaning toward the Z06 because modifications are fairly cheap and I don't think the crummy interior would bother me too much. I love the look of the M3 and I love the way it drives, but I hate how torqueless it feels.. I'm going to drive both back to back this next weekend when I'm home and make a decision.

I do change cars a lot, but I think after this next purchase it is something I will keep for 4-5 years until I can afford something really really awesome.

Thanks for the input everyone.. Although I'm not sure if it helped with the decision ha ha..

gpomp
05-12-2013, 07:16 PM
M3 if you want a driver's car.

Z06 if you want a fast car.

Hallowed_point
05-12-2013, 08:37 PM
I wouldn't say Z06 for a drag strip...I mean it will do the job just
fine at that but it's not really what its built for.

The low torque of the M would really make for some
yawn worthy dailying unless you're revving the piss out
of it everywhere..compared to the Z06 with it's flat curve
all the way from 2000-5000+ rpm.

gpomp
05-12-2013, 08:45 PM
The low torque of the M would really make for some yawn worthy dailying unless you're revving the piss out of it everywhere..compared to the Z06 with it's flat curve all the way from x3000 up.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a121/g-super/cid_15627521630042008-2D7E.jpg

Hallowed_point
05-12-2013, 08:52 PM
It's flat,but really low for a 400+ hp car that weights 3700 + lbs imo.

The Z06 with a Corsa catback gives it that exotic tinged rasp with the roar of a pushrod big displacement v8. It's the best of both worlds in my books :thumbsup:

Redlined_8000
05-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Id do the M3 as well.... Everyone in fort mac has a corvette.

M3 is a king. You got both power and luxury

A2VR6
05-12-2013, 09:18 PM
It's flat,but really low for a 400+ hp car that weights 3700 + lbs imo.

Keep in mind that it's a small displacement V8... im trying to recall tq #'s from other v8's that are around it's displacement range but I believe most of them (save for exotics) are all around the low 300's for tq.

CSMRX7
05-12-2013, 09:21 PM
The low flat torque makes it a great daily driver. When you want to be mild and just get around it is quiet and confortable and then you swing to 8000+rpm for a real race engine, total dual personality.

Anyone that thinks a vette sounds like an exotic hasn't heard many exotics. The LSX engines a great but nothing about it sounds exotic or is exotic from a technology point of view.

Hallowed_point
05-12-2013, 09:26 PM
^^Oh for sure..it's not the biggest v8 in town. I'm just saying,
I'd rather have the lighter, more torquey car out of the two. Better
fuel economy too, not that it will be a factor likely! Sure the interior
isn't the greatest, but it's not 80's-90's GM bad.

Hallowed_point
05-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by CSMRX7
Anyone that thinks a vette sounds like an exotic hasn't heard many exotics. The LSX engines a great but nothing about it sounds exotic or is exotic from a technology point of view.

With the right exhaust, I think it sounds slightly exotic..did you watch the video I posted with the Corsa? When he winds it up, it sounds like a Ferrari/GM love child. And I have heard and driven exotics such as Maserati's. Of course it's not exotic technology wise...it's a pushrod v8.

CSMRX7
05-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Although the BMW interior is better quality it is nothing to write home about from a design factor either.

Very simple and german but nothing like Audi.

benyl
05-12-2013, 09:32 PM
The E9X interior was a big step backward for BMW. Still better than GM, but no where near a B7 or B8 Audi.

SideSwipe
05-12-2013, 10:20 PM
Get a Z06. I don't know anyone that has ever been disappointed with one. Ever.

It's stupid fast when you want it to be stupid fast. Easy to drive when you just want to drive. Very rewarding when you push it. Parts are cheap. The car is almost indestructible. It's also quite reliable. Will get better fuel economy than an eco car on the highway and around town if you don't lay your foot into it. Body is fibreglass, frame is aluminum. No rust issues... and no door dings.

Biggest downside is the location of the clutch bleeder, and clutch replacement means you have to drop a good portion of the drivetrain. Texas speed and performance and/or Tick performance sell a remote clutch bleeder.

Biggest maintenance parts are usually brake rotors and pads, drag racing would probably require investing in a better clutch.

Long tubes will really wake the car up and are not hard to install (Pfadt now makes a set which are supposed to be killer). I would recommend those over just mufflers.

Hallowed_point
05-12-2013, 10:26 PM
^^^^everything he said. I'm not sure if the c6 has a better stock master cylinder then the c5's/f bodies had. If it doesn't , the clutch fluid gets contaminated very quickly with clutch dust. GM designed it so that the driveline couldn't get shocked from a hard shift. Unfortunatey, it can cause downsides such as slow shifting/clutch pedal sticking to the floor etc. All of these things can be fixed or improved by upgrading to the tick master cylinder. Or turkey bastering the clutch master cylinder regularily , pumping it through the clutch and replacing the fluid with fresh dot4 after sustained aggressive driving. Takes a couple of minutes of your time for great results!

+1 on longtubes..you do have to be careful with catback selection if you go this route; particularily if you go catless. You can end up with a lot of drone/rasp with something like a borla or loudmouth.

& Texas Speed is an awesome company to deal with, fantastic customer service and they make great headers, y pipes and more.

gamman
05-12-2013, 10:41 PM
C5 experience only, z06, with warmed up parts. Came from audi s4. I am baised towards power.

While its a nice problem you have, the new c7 vette is supposed to be 55k ish. It supposedly addresses a lot of the weaknesses of the c6, which were a step up from a c5.

my c5 was a freight train that just kept pulling. Sorry, 265 or whatever ftlbs shouldnt be even close to comparing.

Do you like power or refinement?

If its drags only, easy choice.

mgwatson
05-12-2013, 10:44 PM
Just going to leave this here :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT7vLcaqx9s

Hallowed_point
05-12-2013, 11:08 PM
LOL, ok that was pretty funny but this comment on that
video nailed it I think :

"SGobuck 5 months ago

Euro Car guy and Corvette Guy really are the same guy. Only difference is, Corvette guy can do his own tune-ups, and Euro Car guy needs a German pit crew to find his dipstick."

Buster
05-12-2013, 11:50 PM
I loved my Z06. What an amazing car.

I've owned Japanese sports cars, BMWs, etc. I still think the LS7 is my favorite engine among them...and that includes the LSA in my current ride, which makes a lot more power.

The LS7 feels like a race engine.

superlative
05-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Corvette wins. You already have a BMW, why have two? Variety is the spice of life.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-13-2013, 10:16 AM
Love the M3 but I would choose the Z06 any day...unless it was a winter only car.

The Z06 is way faster than the M3 and will feel way faster than the M3, whereas the M3 won't feel much faster than the 135i if any it will just feel more special.

Hallowed_point
05-13-2013, 11:48 AM
I'll concede that point made by TCT..Z06 ain't gonna be a winter ride
like an M3 due to the low ride height, aero etc. Regardless of the lack
of rust issues it just wouldn't be pretty to attempt!

Other points to consider:

Do you wear sunglasses inside and a frilly dress shirt? If so M3.

Do you wear a golds gym beater and a fanny pack? If so Z06.

:D ;)

Hallowed_point
05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
"Where's my 'vette brother??"

m10-power
05-13-2013, 11:52 PM
Years ago I debate this as well so I build a gmw

RVZ0duq5Bh8

Today I'd buy the V8 M3 and put a nice exhaust on it, they sound amazing. Never heard a vette that sounded very good.

Wannago
05-14-2013, 07:35 AM
CTS-V Coupe...perhaps?

Hallowed_point
05-14-2013, 07:42 AM
A V would make for a nice compromise; without really compromising a hell of a lot in the performance category. You can DD a V :dunno:

sidewaysD
05-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Wannago
CTS-V Coupe...perhaps?

WAGOOOOONNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://images.thecarconnection.com/med/2011-cadillac-cts-v-wagon-burnout-michelin-man_100331575_m.jpg

94boosted
05-14-2013, 12:34 PM
IMO these cars a quite a bit different a 4 passenger car that can be daily driven all year vs a 2 seater sports car / bordering on supercar :dunno: Only way you'll ever know which one is the one for you is if you drive both.

If you do go for the Z06 try to get a 2008+ as in 08 they got a better transmission (Tremec TR-6060 in lieu of the T-56), better shifter and I beleive slightly improved interior (more soft touch plastics).

Originally posted by euro_racer

as for looking in the states, it's not what it used to be some time ago. prices over here are not much different and when you factor in the trip down there and the trip/shipping back it is not worth it. deals can be found on both sides of the border, just depends on your negotiation skills :D

I bought my vette in May of last year out of the states when our dollar was slightly above parity and even after taking into account the trip down there & back, GST, and all the other fees & taxes associated with bringing the car back I saved myself 5-8K by buying in the states. Heck I could sell it now, here and turn a profit.

^^^^everything he said. I'm not sure if the c6 has a better stock master cylinder then the c5's/f bodies had. If it doesn't , the clutch fluid gets contaminated very quickly with clutch dust. GM designed it so that the driveline couldn't get shocked from a hard shift. Unfortunatey, it can cause downsides such as slow shifting/clutch pedal sticking to the floor etc. All of these things can be fixed or improved by upgrading to the tick master cylinder. Or turkey bastering the clutch master cylinder regularily , pumping it through the clutch and replacing the fluid with fresh dot4 after sustained aggressive driving. Takes a couple of minutes of your time for great results!

+1 for Ranger Method Clutch Bleed, this IMO is one of the biggest flaws on the Corvette, why GM didn't make the bleeder screw for the clutch accesible is baffling. :nut:

Hallowed_point
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
I+1 for Ranger Method Clutch Bleed, this IMO is one of the biggest flaws on the Corvette, why GM didn't make the bleeder screw for the clutch accesible is baffling. :nut:

I know..I'm really considering a tick master after having my clutch stick to the floor trying third while having a legally sanctioned race against a Challenger SRT8 recently..

And I do the ranger method often, every month at least due to hard driving. Usually clear after 2 cycles. I wish I'd learned about it sooner as I drove for over a year never changing it :eek: black as satan until I got about a liter of dot 4 through.
GM likes to cut corners..so you have to take the good with the bad I guess.

Mitsu3000gt
05-14-2013, 01:26 PM
I lived with a 2009 Corvette for a week and it was literally one of the worst vehicles I have ever experienced, ever. I believe it had 9,000 miles on it, so basically new. The sole redeeming quality was it was pretty fast. I knew they were poorly made from the reviews, but I had no idea until I lived with one.

I cannot believe how poorly they are put together, to the point I didn't even feel safe in it. It literally sounded like it was going to fall apart when I went over any bump, and the roads in California are way nicer than they are in Calgary... The rattles (most I've heard in any car), the cheapest imaginable plastic everywhere, the cheapest leather imaginable (full of cracks and turning white at 9K), the terrible seats (seems to be a common complaint), and the worst automatic transmission I've ever experienced (I realize the manual is probably the preferred option). The seat belts didn't even retract anymore and the car was basically new. I felt like I was going to pull the door panel off the door every time I pulled it shut, and the sounds it made when I shut the door were very concerning. The windows raised/lowered at different speeds depending on the day.

I realize there are some happy vette owners and I mean no offence to those who own them but honestly I personally just don't understand it. I tried to like it, but it is just such a POS (IMHO) in every other way that I was completely turned off by it.

I would get the M3 and not even think twice, or maybe something like an S5 (you said you like 2 door) and still get a V8 or tons of torque with the supercharged V6 version.

94boosted
05-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I lived with a 2009 Corvette for a week and it was literally one of the worst vehicles I have ever experienced, ever. I believe it had 9,000 miles on it, so basically new. The sole redeeming quality was it was pretty fast. I knew they were poorly made from the reviews, but I had no idea until I lived with one.

I cannot believe how poorly they are put together, to the point I didn't even feel safe in it. It literally sounded like it was going to fall apart when I went over any bump, and the roads in California are way nicer than they are in Calgary... The rattles (most I've heard in any car), the cheapest imaginable plastic everywhere, the cheapest leather imaginable (full of cracks and turning white at 9K), the terrible seats (seems to be a common complaint), and the worst automatic transmission I've ever experienced (I realize the manual is probably the preferred option). The seat belts didn't even retract anymore and the car was basically new. I felt like I was going to pull the door panel off the door every time I pulled it shut, and the sounds it made when I shut the door were very concerning. The windows raised/lowered at different speeds depending on the day.

I realize there are some happy vette owners and I mean no offence to those who own them but honestly I personally just don't understand it. I tried to like it, but it is just such a POS (IMHO) in every other way that I was completely turned off by it.

I would get the M3 and not even think twice, or maybe something like an S5 (you said you like 2 door) and still get a V8 or tons of torque with the supercharged V6 version.

Was it a rental car that you drove? Because 9K Miles on a rental sports car is probably equivalent to 100K miles on one that's privately owned :rofl:

While I'll agree that the interior is far from the best I think you're making it sound worse than it really is, my car has no squeaks or rattles, seat belts retract just fine and door opens & closes just fine too :dunno: You do have a point on the seats though, the seats themselves as well as the leather they're wrapped in is shit.

Personally I'm glad that GM put all the R&D money into powertrain and handling and not into interior fit & finish. If you want Z06 performance with an M3 interior you need to look at 150K plus cars.

Mitsu3000gt
05-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted

Was it a rental car that you drove? Because 9K Miles on a rental sports car is probably equivalent to 100K miles on one that's privately owned :rofl:

While I'll agree that the interior is far from the best I think you're making it sound worse than it really is, my car has no squeaks or rattles, seat belts retract just fine and door opens & closes just fine too :dunno: You do have a point on the seats though, the seats themselves as well as the leather they're wrapped in is shit.

Personally I'm glad that GM put all the R&D money into powertrain and handling and not into interior fit & finish. If you want Z06 performance with an M3 interior you need to look at 150K plus cars.

Yes it was a rental, but on relatively high quality interstates and good weather, even if the car has been driven hard I would expect it to hold up for more than 9K miles. The fact that it was trashed by 9K is a huge testament to how it's put together. How rental equipment in general holds up is actually very telling, because you know it probably gets used a bit harder.

Maybe I had a lemon but I am not exaggerating at all based on the sample I drove. My dad and I both did not feel very safe in it, that's how badly it creaked and rattled - and I have been in some shitty cars! I have trouble believing your car is rock solid if you drove over some train tracks or bumps, because other vettes I've been in were the same in that regard. You should hear a very low "thud" when you drive over bumps, not creaks and rattles. My $15k Civic and 10 year old S4 had no rattles - I would expect more from something that costs 6-8 times as much.

As for the doors, the ones at the car show did the same thing in those years, and those were brand new. They just aren't screwed together well and it shows everywhere.

I can't imagine it would have taken any R&D money at all to make the interior better. They already have soft touch materials from the Cadillac lineup, and it isn't rocket science to screw things together more solidly or buy a better seat from a supplier. I think it's more to do with building them for as cheap as possible and cutting every possible corner such that people will still buy them, and I can't really fault them for that from a business perspective.

It was a fun car, don't get me wrong, I just couldn't believe how much they charge compared to how it's put together, and my sample was so bad I didn't even feel safe in it. It would bother me to have paid say $70K for something and know that every possible corner was cut to make it as cheaply as they could. Maybe I just care about fit, finish, and rattles more than other people do but it really bothered me.

94boosted
05-14-2013, 03:29 PM
^ I wouldn't say the interior is rock solid but it's far from making me feel "not safe".

Saying they cut every corner they possibly could is a strech but if anything it only applies to the interior, mechanically that couldn't be further from the truth.

SideSwipe
05-17-2013, 04:27 PM

I know..I'm really considering a tick master after having my clutch stick to the floor trying third while having a legally sanctioned race against a Challenger SRT8 recently. . .

I was doing the ranger method but after a while the fluid was getting gross and my clutch was sticking to the floor after WOT runs. Scary. Installed the tick bleeder without removing the drivetrain (90% say it's impossible, but I did it- had to make some tools though...). Why GM never installed a proper bleeder baffles me. BUT, Bondurant has never had clutch issues with their cars that are driven to hell and back and all they do is the ranger method. My car is also quite a bit older and the bleeder helped quite a bit. The fluid was very gross and now it's clean all the time.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I lived with a 2009 Corvette for a week. . .

Some people don't like them, but have only ever driven them on the street. Or driven an abused rental car. Or read magazine articles religiously. Understandable.
However using a rental car to determine the quality and drivability of a sports car is like using an old hooker to determine the grace of a specific female. It's stupid.

The corvette is plasticy. It rattles and squeaks sometimes. Find a better car for less (or the same) that can actually put up to the abuse without having to touch it with a wrench, tuner, or screwdriver. It's still a great car that deserves a LOT more credit than what motortrend and C&D give it.

My car is a decade old. I've been through every nut and bolt six times looking for something that failed. No luck. The only thing that broke after 20,000KM of WOT at race city was a rotor and a flat tire. Engine naturally has the LS6 oiling issue, but it hasn't killed the car. Third gear is a little temperamental, but no major transmission issues. Diff seals haven't even leaked yet. That's a god damn record. Clutch is just starting to go and the throw out bearing is showing it's age. Not bad if I say so myself.