PDA

View Full Version : any hardwood guys here?

03ozwhip
05-12-2013, 08:16 PM
im looking for someone that can do hardwood flooring in a 10x10 room to match the existing hardwood on my main floor. im not sure about using my builders guys but I will if I have to, but wanted to try here first and give a beyonder the business and get a possible beyond discount(as per usual lol) if at all possible.

TIA guys and if there are any people out there with recommendations or know what kind of price im looking at for basic stained maple wood per square foot installed, that would be great.

project240
05-12-2013, 09:57 PM
For that small of a space, I'd charge $5/sqft and up, depending on the room. Are you looking to tie into the other floor or transition at the doorway?

03ozwhip
05-12-2013, 09:59 PM
No its a totally separate room tying into lino at the front entrance. So you're saying $5sqf with material and installation?

project240
05-13-2013, 12:26 AM
$5 and up not including the cost of the hardwood and/or any transitions you'll need. You may even have trouble finding someone at that price since it is a fairly small job.

RX_EVOLV
05-13-2013, 12:53 AM
Without creating a new thread, how much would it cost to refinish hardwood floors? ~1200 sqf

BokCh0y
05-13-2013, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
Without creating a new thread, how much would it cost to refinish hardwood floors? ~1200 sqf

Sorry to hijack thread too....but THIS is what I am looking for as well.

Thx.

C_Dave45
05-13-2013, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

~ $3-4/sq ft

Z_Fan
05-13-2013, 09:57 AM
So here's a question for hardwood guys...

I've got a bunch of spare pieces (like a full box of new, never installed stuff) and I've got about 5 places on my floor that have serious scratches.

Is it fairly easy to replace pieces that are in the middle of the floor? How much does it cost ... etc?

bmeier
05-13-2013, 10:02 AM
If its pre finished its pretty easy for a skilled person. I even did it once in a ghetto way but it wasn't in a high traffic area.

BokCh0y
05-13-2013, 10:14 AM
I've never done this before...so please excuse my ignorance when asking this question - but how much work is involved in re-finishing hardwood?

I presume you need to do this:

- Tape down area to cut down on dust
- Clean hardwood
- Sand the floor down, remove the clearcoat
- Fill in holes, etc.
- Clean again
- Restain
- Clearcoat again

Again i haven't done this ever before, and so just curious how much work is involved. Obviously i'd like to save $3600-4800 and re-finish this myself. But my time is something to me as well, and I don't want to do a half ass job or be doing this all summer. I am incline to learn new things too though.

Thanks.

C_Dave45
05-13-2013, 11:51 AM
It takes a very skilled tradesman, with a heavy duty sander, plus another smaller sander and years of experience, about a week to do a floor of that size. Even so called hardwood guys only let certain guys do the on site finish.
If you think you could do that, go for it.
Personally I wouldn't even attempt it.

spikerS
05-13-2013, 12:31 PM
I have done hardwood refinishing, and it is a pain.

If you want to do it yourself, you are going to need a floor sander. these look like those big round floor polishers you saw your school janitors using to apply polish to the hallway floors. Or, you use a drum sander, which is almost the same, but is like a giant belt sander. Most people believe that you need to use a drum sander, but we never did, and you could not tell the difference once it was waxed and polished up.

you are also going to want a belt sander to get further into the corners, and then you are going to want something like a belt sander to get to the edges and into the corners, and even then, you are going to be doing quite a bit of hand sanding.

Best way for room prep is to just empty the room, and then isolate the room. so tape up poly over doorways, put some filling material like paper towels into heat vents and cold air returns. I would not worry about anything else, and that is what a shop vac is for.

First, use the floor sander with some fairly aggressive grit, but you have to keep the sander moving. don't let it sit in one place. this pass is meant to remove most of the old finish and re-level the planks. then goto a belt sander and do the edges of the room, then the palm sander to get into corners. finish with hand sanding anywhere that you can't access with the machines.

next, get some color matched WOOD filler and fill in any gaps you find between boards or deep gouges in the wood.

lastly, do 2 more passes with a medium and finishing grit sand paper to get the floor smooth and level.

now, clean like a mother fucker. I mean, make everything fucking SPARKLE! no dust anywhere, don't wear shoes, you don't want any grease or shit on the floor.

get a good pair of soft shell knee pads, and a rubber squeegy. get an nice oil based stain (to repel any drinks you spill so it does not stain the wood if you act fast enough). now, for this step, you gotta be fast. pour a nice puddle of stain near the edge of the floor, take your rubber squeegy, and making figure eights, pull the puddle of stain across the floor, never stopping, it must be in a continuous motion and pattern.

next, find a nice wax that will buff into a hard finish. apply, and then use the floor sander with a buffing pad to work the wax in.

now if any of the above sounds scary, or you are not 100% comfortable with, call a professional. refinishing a floor costs about 1/3rd of the price of installing a new one, and can be done in a DIY fashion, but you must be a pretty competent DIYer, otherwise the staining step is going to come back to haunt you, but it can be done. Those are pretty much the steps my old boss and I used to do when I was assisting him, mind you that was 20 years ago, so acceptable practices may have changed since.

barmanjay
05-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Gregg Benson - Benwood Interiors
403-699-9847
[email protected]

He is impressively knowledgeable with all types of flooring.

Make sure you tell him Jason Kim from Maxwell referred and that I still owe him a case of beer.

If you want I can pm his personal cell number to you.

03ozwhip
05-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks! Ill talk to him as well.

Sorath
04-30-2014, 01:10 PM
bump/thread hijack

looking for someone to fix creeks in old hardwood, possibly sandblast and restain.

~900 sf

please let me know if you can work early may.

thanks! :thumbsup:

project240
04-30-2014, 01:21 PM
The squeaks/creeks have to do with your subfloor, not the hardwood itself (95% of the time). It can be improved if you have access to the joists from underneath, but not much you can do from above short of removing the floor and rescrewing down subfloor. Not an easy job (unless you're replacing flooring and have access above).

CRXguy
04-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
bump/thread hijack

looking for someone to fix creeks in old hardwood, possibly sandblast and restain.

~900 sf

please let me know if you can work early may.

thanks! :thumbsup:

PM'd

cidley69
05-02-2014, 05:55 PM
I have two dogs and they scratch the f$@$@& out of our hardwood.

Is there any super hard finish available, something dog nail scratch resistant?

Like a see through powder coating, lol.

InRich
05-02-2014, 09:29 PM
I can do hardwood installs at about 3 sq foot + material ranging from 2 - 8. 8 being shit you see in multimillion dollar homes, 4 - 5 being really really nice engineered hardwood, you see in high end homes.

C_Dave45
05-03-2014, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by cidley69
I have two dogs and they scratch the f$@$@& out of our hardwood.

Is there any super hard finish available, something dog nail scratch resistant?

Like a see through powder coating, lol.

Bullet proof, waterproof and scratchproof...last forever:

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o312/CalgaryDave/IMG_2185a.png

cidley69
05-03-2014, 09:45 AM
C_dave, I'd be interested in that. How much per sq ft to refinish solid oak floors with that coating?

Do you do this. Or can you pm contact of one who does?

C_Dave45
05-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by cidley69
C_dave, I'd be interested in that. How much per sq ft to refinish solid oak floors with that coating?

Do you do this. Or can you pm contact of one who does?

Gotcha...that's not hardwood, it's tile. And even standing on it, touching it, etc, you'd have a hard time knowing the difference. "Plank tile" has come a long ways since it first came out. Here's just one line sold locally: Serenissima Exotica (http://www.tierrasol.ca/inventoryD.asp?item_no=FGSEEX)
You might think it's cold, but the surface temperature is the very same as hardwood.
Finished product will run you around $12/sq ft (tile & labour), but it is indestructible. Your house could flood, and wouldn't damage it. You could wear golf spikes across it and it won't scratch.

A little more than hardwood for your initial costs...but in the long run...?!!!

I'll be putting it throughout my entire main floor (2,000sf). Will throw in in-floor heating in the bathroom areas.

ExtraSlow
05-03-2014, 11:35 AM
That stuff looks awesome. My kids have destroyed my prefinished hardwood.

pheoxs
05-12-2014, 10:19 AM
Bumping this thread, I have lino/carpet on my main floor, how much do you think it'd be to have it redone in hardwood?

750 sq feet, mostly rectangular besides kitchen island and one wall that's 45 degrees.

InRich
05-12-2014, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs
Bumping this thread, I have lino/carpet on my main floor, how much do you think it'd be to have it redone in hardwood?

750 sq feet, mostly rectangular besides kitchen island and one wall that's 45 degrees.

I can do it for around 6900. thats top of the line engineered hardwood. Got a months waiting list. let me know.

pheoxs
05-12-2014, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by InRich

I can do it for around 6900. thats top of the line engineered hardwood. Got a months waiting list. let me know.

Good to know thanks. Don't take possesion until July just trying to price out what all I'd like to do

mrsingh
05-17-2014, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Gotcha...that's not hardwood, it's tile... Finished product will run you around $12/sq ft (tile & labour), but it is indestructible. Your house could flood, and wouldn't damage it. You could wear golf spikes across it.

Dave my kid has ruined our hardwood on our main, so this product is very interesting. We have a landing at the front door, then a couple steps down onto our main. Can all this, including the stairs, be tiled? Will it still look like wood?

Would we have to rip all the wood out first before you came?
Thanks!

bigbadboss101
06-10-2014, 10:51 AM
Looking into getting some flooring done. Will PM.