PDA

View Full Version : advice renting truck to pull rv20,

gamman
05-12-2013, 11:28 PM
I will call the big 3 that rent trucks, but i was also asking in case the person on phone was wrong. Gasp, never happened before...

I am looking at an older cheaper 20` trailer, thinking a budget f150 / ram quad cab is cheaper to rent for a week, than to drive a crappier and older truck for a year (vs a car)....Because its so old and cheap, i thought a small and cheap truck would have trouble with the weight old trailers weigh. As they tend tend to be heavier. The one i am looking at is 2660 kg. Dont know, dry or wet, but its a 92 and refurbished by cousin, and a decent deal.

I could trade in my 3 bmws and get a decent 2006_2008 truck or just rent a new one with more options, etc.

spikerS
05-12-2013, 11:40 PM
rental companies dont allow you to tow with any of their trucks...

ExtraSlow
05-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Just a hint, if you are towing regularly, you'll want a trailer brake controller. with the correct harness it's pretty simple to put one in the newer fords.
Also, most half tons are rates for much more weight than that. Depending on the packages, 4000 kg seems to be the low end of the ratings, and they go up to around 5100 kg with the right package. Your rental truck will be on the low end of that.

Budget and Avis both rent one-tons too if you feel like you are getting close to the limit with extra payload.

AndyL
05-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Rental companies dont rent trucks that can tow... some of the trucks may be equipped with a receiver hitch - the the pin holes will be welded up.

The driving force may be able to rent you one, not sure their leases we could tow with - not sure on a weekend rental though.

2660kg, doesnt need much to pull it, my wifes 4runner can pull over 4000kg... but there's tongue weight to consider here too...

4WARNED
05-13-2013, 07:57 AM
Shaw GMC leasing has trucks for rent - and I'm pretty sure you can rent ones there that you can tow with. But be prepared to pay for that luxury...

Graham_A_M
05-13-2013, 08:05 AM
^ Their not expensive at all. I rented a duramax Denali crew cab to pick up a truck down in Montana, and even though I put 1300km's on it, it came up to $430 for the day. Their quite reasonable actually. You want expensive? Try Uhaul, only to end up with shit trucks that barely run.

Originally posted by AndyL
Rental companies dont rent trucks that can tow... some of the trucks may be equipped with a receiver hitch - the the pin holes will be welded up.

The driving force may be able to rent you one, not sure their leases we could tow with - not sure on a weekend rental though.

2660kg, doesnt need much to pull it, my wifes 4runner can pull over 4000kg... but there's tongue weight to consider here too...
Most dont, but Shaw does. Their 100% okay with trailer towing as their trucks are all set up to pull trailers, some with the 5th wheel hitch.

ExtraSlow
05-13-2013, 08:16 AM
I can tell you for sure that Avis in Calgary does NOT weld up the receiver hitches. They don't buy the tow package or anything, but they don't cripple them, you can tow, and I've seen it done.

corsvette
05-13-2013, 08:17 AM
CMP also rents trucks you can tow with. My Ford diesel broke down a few years ago and I needed to get my trailer back home, they even had one there with a fifth wheel hitch iirc. Cost me $300 for one day.

And CMP is the same owners as Shaw anyway.

Graham_A_M
05-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I can tell you for sure that Avis in Calgary does NOT weld up the receiver hitches. They don't buy the tow package or anything, but they don't cripple them, you can tow, and I've seen it done.
Consider that a good thing. I wouldn't want those goofs from AVIS to be welding anything more then a paper clip to a food can. :nut: Like fuck....