PDA

View Full Version : Open Alcohol in a car in Europe?

Kobe
05-13-2013, 08:32 AM
I've been trying to google it but no luck and not exactly sure where to look, I'm trying to find laws for Hungary and Croatia

I know BAC is 0.00 in Hungary and 0.05% in Croatia over 25 years old.

Now I know the driver of a car can obviously not drink, but what are the laws for passengers in a car to drink alcohol while driving? I know In Poland and Germany it's allowed and wondering if someone can lead me in the right direction for information on it in Hungary and Croatia?

Thanks

GS430
05-13-2013, 09:36 AM
Just slip a few Kuna or Euro's with your license/passport and the BAC disappears, along with the speeding ticket hahah ;)

I dunno' I haven't had any issues before in Croatia, but maybe because of my citizenship lol. I think transporting open alcohol/passenger drinking shouldn't really be a problem, as long as it's not blatantly obvious.

LadyLuck
05-13-2013, 10:12 AM
We had open alcohol in Germany on my last few trips and it was no issue, the driver couldn't have any.

Croatia is a hit and miss, if you get a sober cop you might be on the hook if you're drinking, if you get a drunk cop you'll be alright. My aunt got pulled over by a drunk cop asking for 50 kuna because she ran a red light down the street (that she had yet to pass through lol). Still better than Bosnian cops.

GS430
05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
Still better than Bosnian cops.

Please elaborate :rofl:

LadyLuck
05-13-2013, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by GS430

Please elaborate :rofl:

I got pulled over in Bosnia by a 7' tall cop dressed in a Nazi trench coat, his reason for pulling me over was that my headlights weren't on...fair. I was driving my grandmas 92 Ford Fiesta and wasn't actually aware that you're headlights were to be on during the day as in Croatia they don't have to be.

We crossed the border into Bosnia from Croatia for a quick shopping trip, shits so much cheaper over there.

Any who, he asks me rudely which country I am from to which I replied Canada. He asked me if in Canada people know how to turn on their headlights during the day and I replied that our cars in Canada do that on their own :D
He decided to shove his head with his hat inside the car through the drivers side window and turn on the headlights for me...and told me I should have stayed in Canada.

Dick.

GS430
05-13-2013, 10:47 AM

I got pulled over in Bosnia by a 7' tall cop dressed in a Nazi trench coat, his reason for pulling me over was that my headlights weren't on...fair. I was driving my grandmas 92 Ford Fiesta and wasn't actually aware that you're headlights were to be on during the day as in Croatia they don't have to be.

We crossed the border into Bosnia from Croatia for a quick shopping trip, shits so much cheaper over there.

Any who, he asks me rudely which country I am from to which I replied Canada. He asked me if in Canada people know how to turn on their headlights during the day and I replied that our cars in Canada do that on their own :D
He decided to shove his head with his hat inside the car through the drivers side window and turn on the headlights for me...and told me I should have stayed in Canada.

Dick.

Bože me sacuvaj... :rofl:

Brutal.

[sorry OP ]:hijack: ...sorta.

LadyLuck
05-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by GS430

Bože me sacuvaj... :rofl:

Brutal.

[sorry OP ]:hijack: ...sorta.

More like...Majku mu jebem :rofl:

We had a good laugh afterwards.

Kobe
05-13-2013, 11:32 AM

Dick.

Similar situation in Poland, I was following my GPS in Warsaw and I made an illegal left hand turn between like 3-6pm and the cop was waiting there.

I ended up having to tell him how to fill out my Canadian information IN POLISH and he asked me if they know how to read signs in Canada.. He ended up only giving me like a 200zl ticket instead of like the 1,000zl it could of been so I just paid it..

But ya, My buddy in croatia said it's hit or miss as well..

l/l/rX
05-13-2013, 12:53 PM
I cannot wait to tear it up in Croatia this summer!

kobe, which week are you going to yacht week again?

Kobe
05-13-2013, 03:57 PM
week 32, you? Come hit up Budapest before or After if you want man! I'll show you around, and the women are amazing!

davidI
05-14-2013, 12:00 AM
I'm hitting Buda June 13-16th.

Beyond meet?

l/l/rX
05-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Kobe
week 32, you? Come hit up Budapest before or After if you want man! I'll show you around, and the women are amazing!

damn i wish, we're just going to keep this a short and sweet trip. 16 days. After UMF & Yacht Week we're going to head north to those waterfalls and then to the capital.