PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your bugs?

Gripenfelter
05-13-2013, 03:05 PM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05/13/insects_as_food_and_feed/

United Nations: 'Overpopulated Earth? Time to EAT BUGS'
Or feed them to cattle, pigs, chickens, and fish, then eat them

By Rik Myslewski in San Francisco • Get more from this author

Posted in Policy, 13th May 2013 20:12 GMT

Free whitepaper – Hands on with Hyper-V 3.0 and virtual machine movement

World population is slated to top nine billion by 2050, and seeing as how arable land is being rapidly swallowed by towns and cities, oceans are increasingly overfished, and climate change is disrupting traditional farming, a new United Nations study proposes a twist on Marie Antoinette's dietary advice: let them eat bugs.

"Common prejudice against eating insects is not justified from a nutritional point of view," write the authors of a 191-page report (PDF) released by the United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO) entitled "Edible insects: Future prospects for food and feed security".

Bugs are not only good eatin', say the authors, but they're also highly efficient sources of nutrition. Your average insect, the report claims, requires a mere two kilograms of food to produce one kilogram of what it charmingly refers to as "insect meat", a far better feed-to-food ratio than, for example, a fatted calf, which requires eight kilograms of feed to produce one kilogram of beef.

Two billion of our current seven billion fellow travelers have already welcomed bugs into their diets, the report contends. Over 1,900 insect species find their way into our alimentary canals, with beetles being the most popular at 31 per cent, followed by caterpillars at 18 per cent; bees, wasps, and ants at 14 percent; and grasshoppers, locusts, and crickets at 13 percent.

"Many insects are rich in protein and good fats and high in calcium, iron and zinc," the authors note. "Beef has an iron content of 6 mg per 100 g of dry weight, while the iron content of locusts varies between 8 and 20 mg per 100 g of dry weight, depending on the species and the kind of food they themselves consume."

Oh, and those sex-starved cicadas that are so much in the news these days? They're "highly esteemed as food" in Malawi, the report reminds us. They were also highly esteemed by Aristotle, who wrote in his Historia Animalium that female cicadas taste best after mating because they're then full of eggs.

The report does admit that gourmet buggery may not be an easy sell. "Western societies still largely averse to the practice of eating insects will require tailored strategies that address the disgust factor and break down common myths surrounding the practice," the authors write.

One of the barriers to widespread acceptance of roach roulade or cricket en croute is the Western perception that eating bugs is a dinner-time strategy only for the desperate. "Contrary to popular belief," the report retorts, "insects are not merely 'famine foods' eaten in times of food scarcity or when purchasing and harvesting 'conventional foods' becomes difficult; many people around the world eat insects out of choice, largely because of the palatability of the insects and their established place in local food cultures."

It's may take some of the best minds in marketing to sell Westerners on mealworm meals, but "Although it will require considerable convincing to reverse this mentality, it is not an impossible feat. Arthropods like lobsters and shrimps, once considered poor-man's food in the West, are now expensive delicacies there," the report argues.

"However, the emotion of disgust can be very hard to change."

But if we picky Westerners continue to stubbornly shun grubs and flies, the authors recommend that we should at least investigate fattening our future mammalian, avian, and piscene edibles with Animalia Arthropoda Hexapoda Insecta.

Black soldier flies, for example, are quite nutrious, and naturally thrive in abundance in poultry, pig, and cattle manure – a predilection that the report notes has given them the nickname "latrine larvae". These should be fed back to said poultry, pig, and cattle, as well as fish.

In addition, the report contends, "Black soldier flies also make manure more liquid and thus less suitable for housefly larvae, and their presence is believed to inhibit oviposition by the housefly." Bonus!

That said, the common housefly maggot also has feedstock promise. "Maggots are important sources of animal proteins for poultry: they have a dry matter of 30 percent of their total wet larval mass, 54 percent of which is crude protein," the report reports, adding that "Maggots can be offered fresh, but for intensive farming they are more convenient as a dry product in terms of storage and transport."

Good to know. By 2050, those conveniently crispy dried maggots may not merely be fattening your KFC Extra Crispy, but may also be on Mickey D's menu as Maggot McNuggets. ®

ZenOps
05-13-2013, 03:27 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20503586

Naw, there is still lots of horse and rat meat out there before one has to go to insects.

spikerS
05-13-2013, 03:38 PM
honestly, out of all the possible ends of the world, over population scares me the most.

Mega-quake, tsunami's, flooding, i don't care much, but as horrible as this sounds, the world needs to have a MASSIVE natural (or other) disaster, something that is going to wipe out a huge amount of the population. I have always felt that a world population of under 7B is sustainable, and anything more, forces us into GMO foods, huge increase in prices for foods, etc, etc...

Over population fucking scares the shit out of me.

Xtrema
05-13-2013, 03:39 PM
They have been saying this for awhile for space travel or Mar colonization.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/blog/bugs1.jpg

-relk-
05-13-2013, 03:54 PM
Put some spices on those bad boys and you got yourself a meal!

In all honesty, I would try some bugs that were fried up and spiced or juiced up accordingly :dunno: Raw and squirming is another story :barf:

jsn
05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by spikers
This. Especially with healthcare constantly improving, people are living longer and longer. Subsequent generations are going to be in trouble.

"However, the emotion of disgust can be very hard to change."
I think this will be the hardest obstacle to overcome. They'll probably come up with some way to process the insect meat so It'll come out looking like a burger or something:rofl:

bob9979
05-13-2013, 05:58 PM
honestly, out of all the possible ends of the world, over population scares me the most.

Mega-quake, tsunami's, flooding, i don't care much, but as horrible as this sounds, the world needs to have a MASSIVE natural (or other) disaster, something that is going to wipe out a huge amount of the population. I have always felt that a world population of under 7B is sustainable, and anything more, forces us into GMO foods, huge increase in prices for foods, etc, etc...

war is an option to get rid of some people.

here is a map of population growth rate in each country.

jsn
05-13-2013, 06:00 PM
oops double post.

finboy
05-13-2013, 06:32 PM

this X 7,000,000,000

Kritafo
05-16-2013, 07:03 AM
BBC did a docu style show called Can Eating bugs save the world http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01599yk

There is a part in it I loved. Some school kids collect bugs after school put them in a bag, when they go back to school in the morning the bags are handed to a teacher were they are cooked up and served for lunch.. all kids are happily eating and go back for seconds and thirds. LOVE IT! Can you image that happening in the school cafeteria.

YES world overpopulation scares the crap out of me as well, lots of people are choosing no children...I think they should be rewarded for not contributing to the problem. Largest problem always seems to be the poorest countries.

Seth1968
05-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Totally agreed. I've written a few posts on Beyond about this issue.

Population growth numbers are staggering. Hence, the consumption of finite resources.

Fundamental environmentalists and their mundane tactics will have little to no affect on general pollution levels. Consumption of resources and pollution must be nipped at the source, and that means hindering the birth rate.

To add insult to injury, by far the highest human growth rate occurs in the least "educated" people.