PDA

View Full Version : Boxing clubs in the City

r3ccOs
05-14-2013, 09:34 AM
Any recommendations?

I've dropped by one a few years back, and I thought it was a bit of a joke (I won't name it here)

but I'm looking for a decent gym to get the rust off the old mitts and to get back into shape

Even the club I grew up in the Peg was ran by a nutjob, but he did produce results...

Used to train with both Arthur Cook and Junior Moar, so I found that gym I dropped by, lacked the experiences in coaches that are required to develop good fighters.

taemo
05-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Impact Boxing, down in 10th ave close to the Saddledome.
http://www.impactboxingandfitness.com/

Like you, I decided to go back to Boxing as it's probably the best way to get back into shape (lost almost 20lbs in 2 months after I returned) and punching bags is a great stress reliever.

I try to go Monday-Thursday from 11:45 til 12:30 during my lunch break,
at noon there's about 10 of us working out, mostly downtown people.
I used to go 5:30-7pm but too busy in the afternoon now but if you really want to train/spar and hopefully fight, then evening would be the best time to go.

It's 85$/month now and the gym actually offers boxing and muay thai/kickboxing now too

Soreshins
05-14-2013, 07:58 PM
+1 for impact. I train Muay Thai there and it's a nice facility and good atmosphere.

I've maybe seen you there taemo, I'm the old fat baldy guy that sometimes is there kicking bags before the lunchtime circuit session.

Mogg
05-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Another for impact if your looking for fitness...
If your looking for real boxing ( fights ) calgary boxing is now the gym to be at.

wintonyk
05-15-2013, 08:58 AM
this thread is perfect timing. Always been in shape but recently took up boxing while I am in Singapore (don't even get me started on cost or any physical activity here). It's kicking my ass and I am loving it. Was hoping to find a place while I am back in town. Any clubs further south?

r3ccOs
05-15-2013, 09:06 AM
i think there is one in chinook... but yah I'm not looking for just fitness, I'd like to spar and hone the skills again

Marsh
05-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Any places that are decently priced? everything that I've seen seems quite excessive , >$100/month

taemo
10-25-2013, 10:30 AM
bumping this as I'm looking for a new boxing gym, Impact is closed because of the June flood and I don't think they will be open any time soon.

I live in the NE and looking for a gym nearby where I can workout in the afternoon after work.

Any experience with Teofista and Grizzly Cage and maybe even Airdrie?
Teofista would be my top choice but it is so far, outside of Calgary.
Don't know anything about Grizzly Cage but I'm guessing it used to be BJJ?

slick2404
10-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk
...Always been in shape but recently took up boxing while I am in Singapore (don't even get me started on cost or any physical activity here)...

Sorry - I'm curious, what do you mean?

wintonyk
10-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by slick2404

Sorry - I'm curious, what do you mean?

I started boxing while I was in Singapore. Loved the combat aspect of it on top of the fitness.

Essentially I meant the costs of boxing there or gyms in general are ridiculous in that country.

Boxing 250 month
Gyms are 150 at minimum per month.

Mogg
10-26-2013, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by taemo
bumping this as I'm looking for a new boxing gym, Impact is closed because of the June flood and I don't think they will be open any time soon.

I live in the NE and looking for a gym nearby where I can workout in the afternoon after work.

Any experience with Teofista and Grizzly Cage and maybe even Airdrie?
Teofista would be my top choice but it is so far, outside of Calgary.
Don't know anything about Grizzly Cage but I'm guessing it used to be BJJ?

Impact boxing has been re-located to inside Strive Fitness ( 401-33rd St N.E.-inside the north soccer centre I believe)

Teofista is also a great gym, smaller club which is great to get to know people also.

2.2vtec
01-06-2014, 09:53 AM
Bumping this thread...anyone got to Bowmont Boxing ?