PDA

View Full Version : Cops shoot at suspect in NW

snowcat
05-14-2013, 06:19 PM
No, not the safe NW!

http://www.calgarysun.com/2013/05/14/shots-fired-as-calgary-police-swarm-to-northwest-bank

rage2
05-14-2013, 06:27 PM
The cops shot suspicious guys trying to get away.

Only in the NW do the good guys do the shooting! :rofl:

schocker
05-14-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by rage2
The cops shot the bad guys trying to get away.

Only in the NW do the good guys do the shooting! :rofl:
He was in a hurry to get back to the NE, police decided to stop him right in front of the tims for convenience purposes.

toastgremlin
05-14-2013, 06:30 PM
I kind of assumed it was a bank robbery gone wrong because of where it happened, but I guess not.

Officers were called to the area because of a suspicious vehicle, police said in a news release.

"At some point during the interaction with the occupants of the vehicle, the driver attempted to flee and mounted the nearby curb. The vehicle drove along the sidewalk, and struck two elderly pedestrians …The driver of the vehicle was challenged by uniformed members, and a service firearm was discharged."

The man the officer shot is in hospital. Two others are in custody.
Bad driving and suspicious vehicles are basically right in the NW's wheelhouse.

Modelexis
05-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Sounds like it was probably a justified response to the driver plowing people down.

Doesn't mention in the story, but if that cop fired a round into the car and hit the guy I'm impressed.

A3GTiVR6SC
05-14-2013, 07:00 PM
This just in: Shooter is from the N.E!

sr20s14zenki
05-14-2013, 07:00 PM
They should be shooting jaywalkers.

:rolleyes:

toastgremlin
05-14-2013, 07:01 PM
Apparently it was an SUV. Completely justified.

Bryan Labby @CBCBryan
#calgarypolice confirm 3 people in custody, including driver of SUV who was shot by an officer. #yyc #

FraserB
05-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
Next, they'll be shooting jaywalkers.

:rolleyes:

If they commit multiple counts of assault with a deadly weapon, fail to obey police orders and try and run down cops?

I'm all for it.

sr20s14zenki
05-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

If they commit multiple counts of assault with a deadly weapon, fail to obey police orders and try and run down cops?

I'm all for it.

Edited...i worded it all wrong lol,

i was trying to poke fun at snowcat.

FraserB
05-14-2013, 07:07 PM
Lol, I was wondering if I misinterpreted something

DonJuan
05-14-2013, 07:48 PM
waiting for full story

NoMoreG35
05-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by schocker

He was in a hurry to get back to the NE, police decided to stop him right in front of the tims for convenience purposes.

:rofl:

Kloubek
05-14-2013, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

I'm all for it.

Fuck yeah. Who knows what the details are right now, but anything remotely like that is justification. They have guns for a reason.

(Which is, of course, to keep them out of the NW... as old as that is...)

Xtrema
05-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis
Doesn't mention in the story, but if that cop fired a round into the car and hit the guy I'm impressed.

Face and stomach, damn good shot on a moving target.

CapnCrunch
05-15-2013, 08:08 AM
They need special license plates for people in the NE so the cops can just open fire once they cross Deerfoot or Glenmore.

Myrrinda
05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
Don't people know that they should never act suspicious near a Tim Hortons? 2 blocks over and they likely would have gone unnoticed.

NoMoreG35
05-15-2013, 09:21 AM
Makes me wonder what happens at Timmy's in the NE on a daily basis...

Xtrema
05-15-2013, 09:50 AM
So the elders got ran over is the cause or effect of the shoot out?

None of the reports are clear.

Tik-Tok
05-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Calgary police say an officer shot a man in northwest Calgary after an elderly couple was struck by a vehicle.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/05/14/calgary-bank-shooting.html

schocker
05-15-2013, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

All the stories I have read say he was shot after hitting the elderly couple :dunno:

From CBC

Calgary police say an officer shot a man in northwest Calgary after an elderly couple was struck by a vehicle.

The shooting happened Tuesday afternoon at about 3:40 p.m. MT outside the Bank of Montreal on Crowfoot Way N.W.

Initial reports indicated a bank robbery, but police say there was no connection to the bank.

Officers were called to the area because of a suspicious vehicle, police said in a news release.

"At some point during the interaction with the occupants of the vehicle, the driver attempted to flee and mounted the nearby curb. The vehicle drove along the sidewalk, and struck two elderly pedestrians …The driver of the vehicle was challenged by uniformed members, and a service firearm was discharged."

blitz
05-15-2013, 10:29 AM
The first article said that the women who was struck was temporarily pinned under the vehicle. It's possible cops shot the driver to prevent him from driving over her like a speedbump.

gretz
05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
lol^^ nice story you came up with there... I'm not sure shooting the driver would make him keep his foot on the brake and throw it in park

revelations
05-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by blitz
The first article said that the women who was struck was temporarily pinned under the vehicle. It's possible cops shot the driver to prevent him from driving over her like a speedbump.

The police acted in their duty to protect the public in this case from a deadly force. Props to shooting the asshole.

Usually when people get shot they take their foot off the gas and fold over in their seat. Then they get dragged out of their car.

Its just too bad he wasnt shot in the head or this would be a lot less paper work.... 99% sure thats what being said at the station right now.

Modelexis
05-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by revelations
The police acted in their duty to protect the public

Where did you get the idea it's their duty to protect the public?
If a city contractor goes out and installs a road sign to cut down on accidents it's not because it's his duty to protect anyone - he's simply doing his job and following his training and orders. If it saves a life or reduces accidents it's not because he's a beacon of virtue, it's because he got called out and did his job.

Go4Long
05-15-2013, 04:48 PM

I guess the whole "our mission is to maximize public safety with vigilance, courage and pride" thing doesn't really have anything to do with protecting the public...except it being the first part of the statement and all.

rage2
05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
I like how Modelexis ninja edited his post there hahaha.

Modelexis
05-15-2013, 04:58 PM
haha, sneaky.

@Go4Long
City workers can say their goal is maximizing public safety with road signs etc but that's a far stretch to say therefore it's their "duty" to protect the public from car accidents.
A goal is not the same as a duty. It can be my goal to sleep with a supermodel but I'm not sure that you can morph that into it being my duty to bang a supermodel.

A goal/mission is something that you can never achieve, but a duty is some standard that you are held to.

Politicians have a goal/mission to minimize the national debt, but they are not duty bound to do so.

g-m
05-15-2013, 05:32 PM
its so nice when people don't quote that tool.

Xtrema
05-15-2013, 06:11 PM
So sounds like cops was looking for someone ended up checking the car out. Driver is inside BMO and cop was talking to the passenger. Then the backseat dude went nuts, jump into driver seat, pull out, hit the cop car, ran over the old folks, twice, before cops shot his ass.

End up none of the people involved are who cops are looking for. Now wtf cause the dude to flip out? :dunno:

Go4Long
05-15-2013, 06:16 PM
drugs...lots and lots of drugs

Traffic_Cop
05-15-2013, 10:12 PM

If a city contractor goes out and installs a road sign to cut down on accidents it's not because it's his duty to protect anyone - he's simply doing his job and following his training and orders. If it saves a life or reduces accidents it's not because he's a beacon of virtue, it's because he got called out and did his job.

Its called a common law duty.

Mod, your posts are getting dumber!

From the supreme court of Canada "police possess a general duty to protect lives even outside of criminal situations"

Modelexis
05-15-2013, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
Its called a common law duty.

Mod, your posts are getting dumber!

From the supreme court of Canada "police possess a general duty to protect lives even outside of criminal situations"

Not calling you out, but do you have an online source for that quote?

I'll give you the nod on this one, Rage caught me trying to justify my way out of a hard case to make.

Is it a constitutional duty?

The reason I ask is because in the US it was ruled by the supreme court that:

the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

and I understand Canada is vastly different from the US but thought I would throw that in to at least show that the question is worth asking.

Traffic_Cop
05-15-2013, 10:30 PM

Not calling you out, but do you have an online source for that quote?

I'll give you the nod on this one, Rage caught me trying to justify my way out of a hard case to make.

Is it a constitutional duty?

The reason I ask is because in the US it was ruled by the supreme court that:

the police did not have a constitutional duty to protect a person from harm, even a woman who had obtained a court-issued protective order against a violent husband making an arrest mandatory for a violation.

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/28scotus.html?_r=0

and I understand Canada is vastly different from the US but thought I would throw that in to at least show that the question is worth asking.

Buddy. Spend 3 secs of your time. Simply go to google and search " canadian police common law duties"

Lots & lots of case law, descions etc that outline a Canadian police officers core roles.

Modelexis
05-15-2013, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop

Buddy. Spend 3 secs of your time. Simply go to google and search " canadian police common law duties"

Lots & lots of case law, descions etc that outline a Canadian police officers core roles.

No results found for "canadian police common law duties".

No results found for "police possess a general duty to protect lives even outside of criminal situations".

Not being difficult, I just thought you were using quotes because you were quoting an actual writing.

Traffic_Cop
05-15-2013, 10:36 PM
I found this within seconds. :- "The common law duties of the police (statutorily incorporated in s. 42(3) of the Ontario Police Services Act) include the protection of life. "

Supreme court of canada

Modelexis
05-15-2013, 10:39 PM
Does Alberta have a police services act, or what is it called here?

Here is the full text in case anyone else is reading this:

Duties of police officer

42. (1) The duties of a police officer include,

(a) preserving the peace;

(b) preventing crimes and other offences and providing assistance and encouragement to other persons in their prevention;

(c) assisting victims of crime;

(d) apprehending criminals and other offenders and others who may lawfully be taken into custody;

(e) laying charges and participating in prosecutions;

(f) executing warrants that are to be executed by police officers and performing related duties;

(g) performing the lawful duties that the chief of police assigns;

(h) in the case of a municipal police force and in the case of an agreement under section 10 (agreement for provision of police services by O.P.P.), enforcing municipal by-laws;

(i) completing the prescribed training. R.S.O. 1990, c. P.15, s. 42 (1); 1997, c. 8, s. 28.

Interesting, it doesn't explicitly state that a duty is "protection of life"
It's sort of implied though, and the statement itself is kinda hard to apply since you don't want to protect the life of the guy that is trying to kill you.

I stand corrected, and slightly more educated.
My hat is off to you traffic cop, I don't like you but you schooled me on this one.

jazzyb
05-16-2013, 01:28 AM
Holy shit Modelxsis calm the hell down. Police keep order and law hence they protect our lives and by direct inference it is their duty.

Traffic_Cop
05-16-2013, 07:08 AM
Yes Mod. Its called the Alberta Police Act.

Sugarphreak
05-16-2013, 07:29 AM

Modelexis
05-16-2013, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
In Modelexis’s world people who kill or attempt to kill others are just victims of circumstance themselves, as long as they aren’t cops or military that is. The duty of the cop in this case was to invite the driver to join him for coffee, also he should have handed over his gun directly to the driver as a gesture of good faith.

Also, the car involved… it wasn’t a car at all. It was a missile fired by the US government sent to kill innocent civilians, just like 9-11.

And here is the real kicker… we are all living in Afghanistan right now, it only looks like Canada because the government has adjusted the climate and made a replica of Canadian cities for training purposes.

If you follow this, you will finally understand Modelexis posts.

Why are you so bitter dude?
I guess you didn't read my first post in this thread.

Sugarphreak
05-16-2013, 11:14 AM

Modelexis
05-16-2013, 11:35 AM
All that seems to be quite an over reaction to a simple question being asked.
I didn't blame anyone in this thread for anything, I just asked the question and was given the answer.

Your jerry springer synopsis of my world view and my debate strategy seems like overkill, why do you feel the need to post something like that?
Not sure how it's relevant in this thread or any other. I could do the same for you or anyone else who flames me on beyond, what a waste of time though.

I can't even discuss morality with you because we don't even agree about the subjectivity or objectivity of the notion.

Sugarphreak
05-16-2013, 12:41 PM

CapnCrunch
05-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Wow, I came here looking for more info on this and here I am having to sort through more trash from Alister.

:hijack:

schocker
05-17-2013, 02:43 PM
Family angry after Calgary police chief defends shooting
Shooting left Jason Harron with permanent disabilities, says family
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/05/17/calgary-harron-family-responds.html
:drama:
I agree with Hansom Rick on this one.

rage2
05-17-2013, 03:06 PM
Not disagreeing with Hanson, but the lawyer does have a point. Police chief should not conclude that it was a good shooting before the SIRT investigation has been completed.

toastgremlin
05-17-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm sure the family of the old folks that got run over would love to discuss it with the family of the scum over coffee and scones.

JustGo
05-17-2013, 04:09 PM
I love how his mom is like, "we don't really know what happened"... Uhhh, yes you do, you just choose to be ignorant about it, just like all the other crimes your idiot son has likely committed. He just ran over an elderly woman, who sustained a broken femur. That's worse than breaking a hip... You think she's ever coming back from that? Her life is over. Best case scenario, the rest of her life has become 10 times more difficult than it already was, not to mention the mental shit she is going to be dealing with after being run down by a jeep. The Chief is like any other boss in any other business. If he didn't trust his employees to do the right thing, he shouldn't have allowed them to be hired in the first place. Of course he's going to support the 'junior officer' (like that shit matters), he trusts that his troops will generally do the right thing when faced with a split second decision with innocent lives on the line. Oh, he's gonna be blind? Probably should have thought of that before he ran over two old people. The only tragedy here (other than what happened to the two elderly folks) is that our tax dollars are being put towards this clowns medical bills.

lilmira
05-17-2013, 04:13 PM
http://www.inc.com/uploaded_files/image/336x336/Amys-Baking-Company-via-Facebook-bkt_26044.jpg

They should hang out together some time.

JustGo
05-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Google this turds name. 3rd hit:

" Jason Harron, who resides partially in Chestermere and Calgary, was later charged for possession of methamphetamine for the purpose of trafficking and possession of ecstacy for the purpose of trafficking. The 36-year-old was also charged for possession of break and enter tools and possession of an imitation firearm, as well as for other offences."

Not 100%sure it's the same dude, but I'd bet my next paycheck on it.

Modelexis
05-17-2013, 04:22 PM
What the heck is "break and enter tools"

LOL, like a crow bar?

Also, what is an imitation firearms? paintball gun? Airsoft?

Doesn't sound like a major criminal, just some idiot incompetent x dealer with a fake gun handy in case he got into trouble.
Sounds like an expert at making poor life decisions.

revelations
05-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by JustGo
I love how his mom is like, "we don't really know what happened"... Uhhh, yes you do, you just choose to be ignorant about it, just like all the other crimes your idiot son has likely committed. He just ran over an elderly woman, who sustained a broken femur. That's worse than breaking a hip... You think she's ever coming back from that? Her life is over. Best case scenario, the rest of her life has become 10 times more difficult than it already was, not to mention the mental shit she is going to be dealing with after being run down by a jeep. The Chief is like any other boss in any other business. If he didn't trust his employees to do the right thing, he shouldn't have allowed them to be hired in the first place. Of course he's going to support the 'junior officer' (like that shit matters), he trusts that his troops will generally do the right thing when faced with a split second decision with innocent lives on the line. Oh, he's gonna be blind? Probably should have thought of that before he ran over two old people. The only tragedy here (other than what happened to the two elderly folks) is that our tax dollars are being put towards this clowns medical bills.

:werd:

FraserB
05-17-2013, 06:35 PM
It sounds like he was pretty disabled before the cop shot him.

LOL @ "we don't know what happened".

DEATH2000
05-17-2013, 07:45 PM
Im happy he lived so that he can spend the rest of his life suffering the consequences of his actions. Something he probably has yet to do up until now.

schocker
05-29-2013, 09:27 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/05/28/calgary-man-charged-crowfoot-incident-crm.html

Jason Harron, 37, has been charged with hit and run causing bodily harm, criminal negligence causing bodily harm, flight from police causing bodily harm and dangerous driving causing bodily harm.

clem24
05-29-2013, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by schocker
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/05/28/calgary-man-charged-crowfoot-incident-crm.html

Is the guy's family still living in denial?

FraserB
05-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Press release: All the evidence is fabricated and while he has been found guilty many times, the courts are out to get our son. We feel sorry for the people who fell under the car, maybe they should watch where they are going next time.

schocker
05-29-2013, 10:29 AM

Of course

His family said he had to undergo a number of surgeries while in the hospital, and will most likely have permanent disabilities.

They are also angry over comments made by the chief of police that defend the officer who opened fire.

Also, from the original story, I was figuring he would be like 18-19, but 37 geees. There's police, I have no reason to run but I had better and hit some elderly pedestrians also :rofl:

revelations
05-29-2013, 04:58 PM

The apple does not fall far from the tree.