PDA

View Full Version : I need a 1/2 day driving evaluation. Suggestions?

tom_9109
05-16-2013, 08:30 AM
My new company requires me to attend a drivers evaluation course that will provide me with a written statement of competence upon completion.

I am not looking for driver 'training' for improvement but a true evaluation with perhaps some aspect of brush up as well.

Must be a well respected and preferably larger company as something like 'Abdul's Driver Training' probably won't cut it for this company.

Mibz
05-16-2013, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by tom_9109
My new company requires me to attend a drivers evaluation course that will provide me with a written statement of competence upon completion.

I am not looking for driver 'training' for improvement but a true evaluation with perhaps some aspect of brush up as well.

Must be a well respected and preferably larger company as something like 'Abdul's Driver Training' probably won't cut it for this company. I'm sure the company requiring the course has a list of approved programs.

tom_9109
05-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
I'm sure the company requiring the course has a list of approved programs.

I'm sure the company requiring the course usually uses a vendor that does not operate in Alberta and has asked me to source out and utilize a company in my region to avoid the need to fly to ontario and back for a half day driving course.

ExtraSlow
05-16-2013, 09:20 AM
CTEC does a light duty "advanced driver training" course and does provide a brief evaluation. It's a full day however.

Mibz
05-16-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm sure the company requiring the course usually uses a vendor that does not operate in Alberta and has asked me to source out and utilize a company in my region to avoid the need to fly to ontario and back for a half day driving course. I'm sure, haha.

tom_9109
05-16-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm sure, haha.

Sounds ridiculous and like a waste of time but the bigger the company, the bigger the HR manual and the requirements it contains. It is right in the conditions of employment that I completed an approved drivers evaluation course. I have suggested one of the AMA courses and hope it gets put on their approved list because its a non-negotiable.

Mibz
05-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Sounds ridiculous and like a waste of time but the bigger the company, the bigger the HR manual and the requirements it contains. It is right in the conditions of employment that I completed an approved drivers evaluation course. I have suggested one of the AMA courses and hope it gets put on their approved list because its a non-negotiable. I was just laughing at the completely plausible reasoning that I couldn't manage to think of myself :P

tom_9109
05-16-2013, 11:38 AM
I was just laughing at the completely plausible reasoning that I couldn't manage to think of myself :P

Here is one that will make you laugh. Pay employee 300k mileage @ $0.40 per k to driver to Calgary. Pay for hotel. Pay for Flight to Ontario. Land meet for about 60 minutes, flyback a few hours later. Land. Pay for hotel again and then pay for mileage to get home plus all the meals from start to finish.

All that for 60 minutes. 90 tops. Made for an ok day though.

ExtraSlow
05-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Tom, I flew to Oklahoma recently for a 60 minute meeting.
That's four flights, a night in a hotel, five meals and four taxis.

tom_9109
05-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Tom, I flew to Oklahoma recently for a 60 minute meeting.
That's four flights, a night in a hotel, five meals and four taxis.

They would have found be hung in the airplane bathroom on flight 3.