PDA

View Full Version : Help with home theatre audio issue.

Swank
05-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Posting for a friend:

I am using my Onkyo TX-SR606 as an HDMI switch for all AV sources (Samsung Blu-Ray player, SHAW HD PVR , and a WD Media Player. I'm using HDMI cables (not sure if they are of high quiality) from all the components to the respective 'HDMI in' ports on the SR606. I'm using a HDMI cable from my Samsung TV to the HDMI out provided by an audio company that did my wiring so I assume it's of higher quality. Everything works fairly well, except some occasional audio changes from soft to loud. When I view high def shaw channels (CBC hockey night in canada) the audio and picture are great. I play a movie from my WD digital media drive HDMI and the audio works great. I play a blu-ray from my samsung blue-ray and the audio works great, but when I put on treehouse for my daughter on the shaw box using standard def (because it isn't a high def channel) I get voices really soft and then the music plays really loud and stays like that. Happens also for Shaw Video Demand Kids shows which are standard definition.
Here's what I have tried so far:
I swapped out the HDMI cable from the Shaw box and used a componet video cable with an audio optical cable to the receiver, no changes in the audio for treehouse, ytv channels still soft voices and loud music.
Tried various HDMI cables as well none of higher quality but they did the same thing.
What I have working now is: I am using componet cables to the receiver to get video display and then using standard audio cables (red and white) from the shaw hd box to the receiver and it is working just fine. I just feel that High def is a little off and why isn't an HDMI cable working properly?
Any suggestions or heard this before? I have researched this and people talked about "handshaking" and to try a componet cable with audio otpical cable, well I tried that and didn't make any difference for me.
So I'm hoping there's a solution out there and maybe just need a higher quality HDMI cable?
Thanks

clem24
05-16-2013, 09:42 AM
Doesn't sound like a cable issue; sounds more like a Shaw Box issue.

Try going into the Shaw box setup and see if there's a setting for audio | compression. Turn that off. Which model of Shaw PVR do you have? Does it do this ONLY on Treehouse, or does this affect ALL SD channels? Also try changing the output between Mono > Stereo and Matrix. See if any of those settings make any diff. If they do, then it's the box.

Mitsu3000gt
05-16-2013, 01:30 PM
Pretty sure it's a combination of the Shaw box/channel, and the audio reverting from 5.1 when you're on an HD channel to stereo on the SD channels. When it switches to stereo it will be much louder (same thing happens when you switch from a 5.1 HD channel to a 2.0 HD channel like Oasis).

I'd be really surprised if it was a cable issue.