PDA

View Full Version : unionized environment and employees politics

The Wanderer
05-16-2013, 10:41 AM
So I got into an interesting discussion with some friends the other day.

I am curious how many people work or have worked in a unionized environment and what political leanings you have (right, center, left).

Mibz
05-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Does Safeway count?

speedog
05-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Haven't been in an unionized position for over 5 years now since we bought our own business, but when in a unionized position it was very much hinted from the union powers that be that you should vote left. I never did though, always voted right with what my head told me even when I was the president of my local and to this day, I still vote right.

BTW, didn't participate in the poll as I am not in a unionized position or environment now nor do I intend to be ever again.

speedog
05-16-2013, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
Does Safeway count?
If union dues come off of your pay check, then there just might be a remote possibility that you are in a unionized position.

The Wanderer
05-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Speed that is one of the reasons I am asking.

Mibz, so long as you paid union dues yes please vote.

Thanks folks

Adrenaline101
05-16-2013, 11:17 AM
I hate my union, can that be a vote?

The Wanderer
05-16-2013, 11:21 AM
adrenaline,

I prefer if the vote is only with leaning.

i am trying to get data showing whether there is a large portion of unionized workers who's political beliefs are different than the "labour movement" or not

Xtrema
05-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by The Wanderer
adrenaline,

I prefer if the vote is only with leaning.

i am trying to get data showing whether there is a large portion of unionized workers who's political beliefs are different than the "labour movement" or not

I don't think you will get a good sampling on Beyond.

finboy
05-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Worked both union and non, currently non, both have their ups and downs, lefty for life

speedog
05-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by The Wanderer
Speed that is one of the reasons I am asking.

Mibz, so long as you paid union dues yes please vote.

Thanks folks
Reading, apparently one of my lost skills.

Maybelater
05-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Left. I use to belong to a union and I would work for one again. I use to be more 'right', Libertarian or Classical Liberal would be a better way of putting it. At that time it was my belief was that unions would replace the gpvernments role in protecting workers. That is how it works in Sweden, they don't even
have a min.wage.

Also if you are pretty right wing you probably wouldnt like to know what some of your dues are being spent on. Lol

Posted from phone.

cam_wmh
05-16-2013, 04:41 PM
woops. i thought it was a question asking us which political leaning, we think a Unionized employee stands on. Ignore one of the "Left". That's my perception of Union workers.

Sugarphreak
05-17-2013, 08:20 AM

sputnik
05-17-2013, 08:46 AM
If my workplace ever unionized I would start handing out resumes the next day.

HiTempguy1
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

A lot of people hate their union, too bad unions are worse than the companies these days

I hate my union because of the concessions it has made to the Alberta government that strip the union of all of it's "positives" and only leaves it with the "negatives" of being a union.

Unions have their place. As a friend once said, the problem with old unions is that they are saddled with older people and older policies that don't work in this day or age. For instance, every single person I work with would be better off in the private sector (better pay, better benefits, and all of the same "perks" we currently receive), which is why people are leaving in droves.

I'm lucky to be in a position where I am valuable enough that I told my boss to do something about my pay or I was gone. He considers me an asset, so he's making it happen. It's just been much more of a fight because of union BS.