PDA

View Full Version : Offer Letter

woodywoodford
05-16-2013, 12:31 PM
As some of you might know, I was offered a new job a couple weeks back, and I'm super jacked for it. But I still haven't received the formal offer letter which is driving me nuts. I'm very tempted to send a note to the guy and check in, but don't want to bug him as he's a very busy man, and I had already emailed him last week. These things take time, I just can't imagine how it takes this long.

May 3 - Verbal offer over the phone
May 7 - No offer yet, I check in (last chance to put in two weeks notice and make our discussed start date of May 21); he replies that he's waiting on a draft from HR
May 10 - Email apologizing for the delay in getting the letter as he had to go through U.S. HR/Legal. Still no letter

Now it's the 16th and I can't figure out what would possibly take so long to put a simple offer together. I know the Calgary office is in a big hurry to get me in there, hence the concern (offer is coming from the director in TO, who's going through the US office)

So - email him, yay or nay?

Doozer
05-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Last contact was the 10th, today is the 16th? Yes, contact again. Once a week is more than acceptable considering that you have make arrangements in your own life as well.

The 21st date is obviously out the window already. Hopefully someone from Calgary is following up if that's who needs you. It sounds like you know someone in the Calgary office? May be worth checking with that person to see if they can find out more.

tom_9109
05-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Sometimes HR gets backed up. Mine took weeks more than expected.

woodywoodford
05-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Done. So hard to word those notes without sounding pushy :thumbsup:

leftwing
05-16-2013, 05:25 PM
I would guess that offer letters are generic forms where the employer fills in name, position and salary, among other details. The majority of the letter should be the same mumbo jumbo every employee gets. That would drive me nuts if the employer took that long to put it together. Not only does it reflect badly on the employer, but its a big inconvenience to you and your life planning. When I verbally accepted my position, I had a formal offer package in my inbox within 2 hours.

sabad66
05-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Here's my opinion - why are you so worked up about it? You got a verbal offer over the phone and accepted it, so who cares about formalizing it? When is your start date?

lasimmon
05-16-2013, 09:00 PM
I've waited up to 3 weeks after a verbal offer for the formal offer.

Unless you starting right away there really is no rush.

94CoRd
05-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
Here's my opinion - why are you so worked up about it? You got a verbal offer over the phone and accepted it, so who cares about formalizing it? When is your start date?

Wouldn't be the first time someone's changed their mind :dunno:

When it comes to securing new positions, and resigning from other ones, I make sure all paper work is in place and signed.

I followed up with an email ensuring the HR department received my signed copy of the offer letter before I gave my current employer notice. Be pushy - you're making changes in your life, and they'll understand that.

woodywoodford
05-17-2013, 10:06 AM
94CoRd basically got it... I'm beyond excited to start this job because (a) it's my dream job and (b) everybody I've ever talked to told me it's virtually impossible to break in to. So in a way I can't believe I've got it (especially since it was my first application that got an interview), and signing an offer would be seal the deal. It's mostly impatience on my end.

But also, I know the Calgary office wants the new hire to come on ASAP because they're swamped, so that isn't helping things.

Black Gts
05-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by sabad66

I've been told over the phone to quit my job, luckily I felt weird about it and I tried to call back couldn't get ahold of him. I emailed no response, still not sure what happened, but I'm glad I had reservations about it.

NoMoreG35
05-17-2013, 12:29 PM
What kind of position if you don't mind me asking? Congrats BTW!!!