PDA

View Full Version : you have $35k, which truck do you buy?

spikerS
05-17-2013, 06:44 PM
OK, buddy is looking for a new truck, won't listen to me, and I am not even pushing the Ford, I am trying to give him an honest opinion, and he has a certain truck in his mind, that I think is a mistake.

I don't want to influence any answers, but lets use the following criteria.

Must be a 4 door truck.
$35k to spend
wants new for the warranty and peace of mind.
wants good reliability
good fuel mileage
good tow numbers

so, which brand would you all go to?

corsvette
05-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Chevy/Gmc ;)

-Reliable as hell vortec V8
-Extremely good V8 fuel economy
-Smooth ride
-Great deals on the 13's before the new truck comes out

Win Win!

muse017
05-17-2013, 06:51 PM
I'm a bit biased but my Tundra has been bulletproof since new. Tow numbers are bit less than competition and interior somewhat looks outdated but can't beat the reliability of Toyota.

FraserB
05-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Chevy/Gmc ;)

-Reliable as hell vortec V8
-Extremely good V8 fuel economy
-Smooth ride
-Great deals on the 13's before the new truck comes out

Win Win!

Yup

vengie
05-17-2013, 07:01 PM
Ecoboost... I'll be looking to pick up a 12/13 FX4 in september

Masked Bandit
05-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by spikers
OK, buddy is looking for a new truck, won't listen to me, and I am not even pushing the Ford, I am trying to give him an honest opinion, and he has a certain truck in his mind, that I think is a mistake.

I don't want to influence any answers, but lets use the following criteria.

Must be a 4 door truck.
$35k to spend
wants new for the warranty and peace of mind.
wants good reliability
good fuel mileage
good tow numbers

so, which brand would you all go to?

Depends on how much he values fuel economy over towing capacity as well as how picky he is on interiors. The Chev / GM has the best real world fuel economy for a V8 but their towing is lacking (real world, not what it's rated for). The interior of the GM is not my favourite either but you should be able to get a fairly well equiped 2013 because of the new generation coming out.

I would instantly eliminate the Titan & Tundra. The Nissan product is the worst in the segment for fuel consumption and the Toyota...well they should just stick to cars.

I have to say, almost a year into ownership of my 2010 Ram it's been a pleasant surprise. Nothing to fix and more power than I ever use. It's not gentle on gas but nothing is when you're pushing 400 HP.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Cheapest 4x4 half ton you can buy and put the rest on your mortgage :P

FraserB
05-17-2013, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by vengie
Ecoboost... I'll be looking to pick up a 12/13 FX4 in september

For the mileage? I get identical, if not a bit better than Spikers does with his EcoBoost

vengie
05-17-2013, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

If you're doing so for the mileage, don't bother. I get identical, if not a bit better than Spikers does with his EcoBoost

Ya the mileage isn't great with the max tow package and the 3.73 gears, they have another gearing option that increases the mpg slightly.

I'm doing it because it's the best truck I've driven. I drove a 13 ram sport 8spd the other day. While the truck was nice, the 8spd was garbage. Our work trucks are all chev's, can't say I like them at all.

When I get a little more serious I'll do the back to back to back test drive comparison.

sxtasy
05-17-2013, 08:48 PM
I have owned Ford, Dodge and GM. I still swear by GM trucks and I put all of my trucks through their paces, heavy towing, payload etc. I wouldn't even consider owning an import truck for the workload I use them for. With that said, 35k budget and a new truck just doesn't really leave much at all for options. Either your friend needs to look at used or finance.

Tik-Tok
05-17-2013, 09:27 PM
I would wait for a Dodge 1500 with the Diesel coming next year(?) But I guess that would depend on what he/she considers "good tow capacity"

(This is for baygirl isn't it? :rofl: )

spikerS
05-17-2013, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
With that said, 35k budget and a new truck just doesn't really leave much at all for options. Either your friend needs to look at used or finance.

Not really, my truck is nicely equipped with the options I wanted, and brand new, out the door, 32k.

Graham_A_M
05-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by muse017
I'm a bit biased but my Tundra has been bulletproof since new. Tow numbers are bit less than competition and interior somewhat looks outdated but can't beat the reliability of Toyota.
Perhaps but if actually plan on using it as a truck (asides from hauling around a shoebox) then look elsewhere. I took a new tundra out for a test ride and I was viciously unimpressed on every level possible, so we bought a '10 silverado 2500hd instead. Used with 87k on it last fall. It was the top tier LTZ package, for $27k from jack carter. Awesome truck, but fuck sakes I wish we got the dura max as its a powerhouse beast of engine. Our 6.0 gas is rather thirsty. :( still lots of power, but far from the dura max. The '11 Sierra I rented to pick up a truck with down in Montana was nutty. I was passing people uphill in the BC mountains doing 130. With a truck on a trailer in tow.
I didn't even have it in tow mode either. Amazing unit. Of the whole 1300 KM's I put on it it cost me about $160 in diesel. Man I loved that thing.

Sugarphreak
05-17-2013, 10:50 PM

sxtasy
05-17-2013, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by spikers

Not really, my truck is nicely equipped with the options I wanted, and brand new, out the door, 32k. Wow, had no idea the ecoboost would go for so cheap. Any catch? Big incentives for a cash deal?

spikerS
05-17-2013, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
Wow, had no idea the ecoboost would go for so cheap. Any catch? Big incentives for a cash deal?

not really, I bought during family pricing event, and the costco discount.

baygirl
05-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

(This is for baygirl isn't it? :rofl: )
If this was for me he would be asking for opinions on a cheap, slow car :rofl:

SKR
05-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
The '11 Sierra I rented to pick up a truck with down in Montana was nutty. I was passing people uphill in the BC mountains doing 130. With a truck on a trailer in tow.
I didn't even have it in tow mode either.

If you had a pyrometer you would have had it in tow mode. I can hit 1100 degrees empty without trying.

Unknown303
05-18-2013, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Depends on what he is using it for primarily, for full size I think the break down looks like this:

Working Truck: Dodge or Chevy
Highway Truck: Ford or Chevy, maybe Dodge
City Truck: Ford or Nissan
Truck with no real world purpose: Toyota or Nissan

:werd: Although I always recommend the Dodge. And if they do release the diesel this fall I'll probably ditch my truck to get back into a diesel.

speedog
05-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Penis extensions - do you guys really need them?

Cos
05-18-2013, 11:15 AM

speedog
05-18-2013, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Cos
City dweller. Where we go, you need a truck, cant get in with a car.
Not going to deny it and was kidding but in reality, there are a lot of Raptors, lifted beasts and smokestacked diesels being used strictly as parking lot queens for grocery hauls and not much more. Know so many neighbors whose trucks are just glorified soccer mom-mobiles and crappy ones at that because all the luggage and gear is out in the back exposed to the elements.

Unknown303
05-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by speedog

Not going to deny it and was kidding but in reality, there are a lot of Raptors, lifted beasts and smokestacked diesels being used strictly as parking lot queens for grocery hauls and not much more. Know so many neighbors whose trucks are just glorified soccer mom-mobiles and crappy ones at that because all the luggage and gear is out in the back exposed to the elements.

I'm 90% sure that Raptors come equipment with a pair of douche white sunglasses these days. Those are the cleanest trucks I see on the road.

Cos
05-18-2013, 11:41 AM

Sugarphreak
05-18-2013, 11:44 AM

cam_wmh
05-18-2013, 11:56 AM
Fellas,

Why the poor reviews for the Tundra?

Tik-Tok
05-18-2013, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
Fellas,

I think people go into a Tundra/Titan thinking it's heavy duty, when it is far from it. Those are for people who don't need a truck, but want one.

Cos
05-18-2013, 12:26 PM

corsvette
05-18-2013, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by cam_wmh
Fellas,

Poor reviews for the Tundra?! I'm more surprised at the huge support for the Ford's. Is the Ecoboost that yummy of a carrot at the end of the stick? Ford only shoveled underpowered, unreliable, fuel swilling 5.4 L V8 in their tucks from 1996 till 2011. seem's everyones forgotten about those dark years and Voted Ford! Yes, the Ford has a nice interior and the newer engines seem great but in the end I hardly think its the do all to end all truck. certianly not that much better than GM or Dodge as the polls suggest.

I still thing theres much better value in the GM/Chev. The 2013 is the oldest design of full size trucks (save the Titan which is only on its 10th year unchanged lol) but still looks good. Trust me, I've been through a ton of trucks myself and work pretty close in the "fleet" industry with companies that run 100+ trucks in their lineup and as far as 1/2 tons go the GM's are pretty much tops.

As far as Tundra goes its overpriced and has an even worse interior than GM. Add the weak frames and tailgates and you have the perfect "non work" truck good for hauling a few bags of fertilizer now and then.

speedog
05-18-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Cos
http://www.raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=17594
Would be so easy to troll there but one wouldn't last long as such there as well.

vengie
05-18-2013, 01:05 PM

Poor reviews for the Tundra?! I'm more surprised at the huge support for the Ford's. Is the Ecoboost that yummy of a carrot at the end of the stick? Ford only shoveled underpowered, unreliable, fuel swilling 5.4 L V8 in their tucks from 1996 till 2011. seem's everyones forgotten about those dark years and Voted Ford! Yes, the Ford has a nice interior and the newer engines seem great but in the end I hardly think its the do all to end all truck. certianly not that much better than GM or Dodge as the polls suggest.

I still thing theres much better value in the GM/Chev. The 2013 is the oldest design of full size trucks (save the Titan which is only on its 10th year unchanged lol) but still looks good. Trust me, I've been through a ton of trucks myself and work pretty close in the "fleet" industry with companies that run 100+ trucks in their lineup and as far as 1/2 tons go the GM's are pretty much tops.

As far as Tundra goes its overpriced and has an even worse interior than GM. Add the weak frames and tailgates and you have the perfect "non work" truck good for hauling a few bags of fertilizer now and then.

Matter of opinion really.
All of our chev/gm work trucks are being phased out and being replaced with f150's.

I can't stand the trucks we have. And the f150's that have been in the fleet for the past year have been awesome.

Graham_A_M
05-18-2013, 04:06 PM
companies that run 100+ trucks in their lineup and as far as 1/2 tons go the GM's are pretty much tops.

Pretty much, you can just feel the frame twist when going around turns, the interior was dog shit... like... people call them 3/4 ton trucks that were down rated to a half ton badging.... so they dont ruffle the feathers of the 3/4 ton crowd?

:rofl: :rofl: far from it actually. I just got back from hauling a 1250 pound 15HP air compressor 500km's on very rough Sask roads in my 2.2 4cyl equipped S10. I knew full well that truck could handle it. As "beefy" as people say the Tundra is, thats probably as much as that could handle on any given day.
And people pay how much for them? I'll pass entirely thanks. :rolleyes:

For real trucks? stick to the big three. The Japanese haven't made any decent trucks since the early to mid 90's with Toyota's iconic Taco's back then. But those are far from what "real" trucks have to haul and tow around.

I've never held Jap trucks in much of any regard, now with the new Tundra, Titan & Ridgeline I have literally no reason to change my view with them.

Kavy
05-18-2013, 04:08 PM
I recently picked up a 2013 Dodge Bighorn, Owned a Tacoma previously and spent a month testing driving everything out there. My thoughts:

GMC - whats up with the 2003 interior? As a work truck ok but not comfortable or useful inthe slightest.
Tundra - Nice looking and rode well but was way overpriced.
Titan - Looks like all the money went into bells and whistles. Lots of nice options inside but felt very sluggish and the steering felt very loose.
Ford - Nothing bad to say other then it was a bit wide and the Ground clearance seemed small
Dodge - Its what I bought.

For me the Dodge was going to be my DD so the most important thing was the interior, ride and reliability. I almost went Ford but for the same money I was able to get into a much better equipped dodge and the ride felt much better.

Overall I cannot see anyone going wrong getting a ford or dodge right now.