PDA

View Full Version : DH Mountain Bike, who's at COP/Moose MTN. Thread

Redlyne_mr2
05-18-2013, 10:04 AM
Any DH MTB riders on here?

Just wanted to see who rides at COP regularly or Moose? Post up if you'll be there. Also post up any bikes tips, new bikes, parts, etc.

zipdoa
05-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Haven't ridden since my crash @ COP in 2011 - sold the Ellsworth Dare the following year. Looking at getting another DH bike - will keep you posted.

VWEvo
05-18-2013, 12:54 PM
Ryan,

Didn't know you were into DH. I was pretty die hard, last season only got to go a 8-10 times. I go to COP when I can because of convenience. COP has some fast fun trails, some are pretty technical and require you to keep your speed up to hit all the jumps properly.

I have a few different bikes but my favorite is my Specialized Demo 8 II.

vengie
05-18-2013, 01:08 PM
I sold all my bikes when I was 17 to buy a car... Now here we are 7 years later and I miss riding every day.

Hoping to pick up another freeride/dh bike this summer.

Mitsu3000gt
05-18-2013, 03:43 PM
I'm selling my 2006 Giant Glory DH, hardly used (3 times since 2010). Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested in getting a top notch bike for cheap.

It's just in the shop right now having one of the brakes warrantied and then back up for sale, with brand new brakes (Avid Code):

http://www.nsmb.com/images/gear/giant06/glory_full.jpg

zipdoa
05-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'm selling my 2006 Giant Glory DH, hardly used (3 times since 2010). Shoot me a PM if anyone is interested in getting a top notch bike for cheap.

It's just in the shop right now having one of the brakes warrantied and then back up for sale, with brand new brakes (Avid Code):

http://www.nsmb.com/images/gear/giant06/glory_full.jpg

is it an XL?

NM saw your FS thread. Small :cry:

Kona9
05-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Ive been off my bike for a couple of seasons. I should get back on it!

toor
05-18-2013, 06:02 PM
My 2007 Norco Six Two is in the basement somewhere, I've put maybe a couple hundred km's on it, once at COP and once at Fernie... original tires are still 2/3rds tread :banghead:

Q-TIP
05-18-2013, 07:16 PM
I go to COP almost every day I am in Calgary, and to Moose most weekends. Heading to Whistler in a couple of weeks for a week or so, then probably SilverStar sometime in July. I imagine I'll be in Fernie for a few weekends too as I'm getting married there at the end of the summer so plans must be made and trails must be ridden.

We should get a Beyond ride day out this summer. I'm itching to use the new carbon swing-arm Devinci sent me for my Wilson.

00redLUDE
05-20-2013, 02:23 AM
My brother and I started to ride together at COP last year. It was my first year of riding. He's been riding much longer. Different level of abilities. We went half a dozen of times and I ended up having two big falls (nothing like Zipdoa's fall). Went to Fernie for a weekend last year as well. In fact, we saw you at COP one time but we were just going up the lift and did not see you after that.

We are planning to try to go on a reg. basis this year and also have another trip to Fernie booked this year. Might see you at COP one of these days.

Hallowed_point
05-20-2013, 11:04 PM
I have a 2004 Cove Peeler with a red Monster T. Friggin
love the bike but it needs some work..chain guide roller,
front tube, brake bleed, tune up. And it's in Peachland
(Oakanagan) hanging on my Mom's wall right now..great
conversation piece lol. Silver star in Vernon took it's toll
on her!

I usually hit up COP at least once a season..I'd be
down for a meet up!

Hallowed_point
05-20-2013, 11:06 PM
My ride..some chromag goodies on her!

I REALLY need to get back into riding..since I left BC I've gotten more into cars..need to step it up this season. Thanks for posting this thread!

a social dsease
05-21-2013, 11:56 AM
I ride at Moose, was just up there yesterday actually. However I've sold my DH bike in favor of an AM bike. I still do the same trails, I just pedal up instead of shuttle.

Hallowed_point
05-21-2013, 12:31 PM
^^ kinda leaning more towards an aggressive all mountain these days..
I'm too old/lazy for the hike a bike ;)

& I'm tired of explaining to people why I'm pushing instead of pedaling lol.

What did you get? ^

gqboy322
05-22-2013, 10:31 PM
if anyone of you have some parts for sell please let me know. i need everything to build a DH bike :D

TommyEK4
05-23-2013, 06:38 PM
Hey guys, i bought this bike literally when spring started and its just a bit much for what I'll be doing. It is a 2012 Norco Aurum. Here's a link to my for sale thread.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1341817/

ekguy
05-23-2013, 07:34 PM
never been to cop and I would love to hit it up once I transfer all the parts from my devinci to my specialized. I will be riding a hard tail all summer unfortunately but it's going to be beefed up quite a bit.

Errol.
05-23-2013, 08:03 PM
Haven't been out in a couple years. Want to try to get out this year. Or just sell my bikes haha.

Kjonus
06-02-2013, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease
I ride at Moose, was just up there yesterday actually. However I've sold my DH bike in favor of an AM bike. I still do the same trails, I just pedal up instead of shuttle.

If your ever looking for someone to ride up and down Moose or West Bragg let me know. I've just bought a new Ghost AMR Lector 7700 to replace my Norco Fluid that I sold to a fellow beyonder. That goes for anyone else for that matter I'm always looking for someone to ride with.

Redlyne_mr2
06-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Me too guys, the more people we have for Moose the better. Passes are now on sale for COP $189 or they have $25 ride cards.

Ukyo8
06-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Can't wait for COP to open up for the season!

Also gonna go to Silverstar this season.

Boosted131
06-03-2013, 09:41 AM
I had season passes for cop for 4 years, then started dirtbiking...

Still have my diablo downhill bike too, should take it out again this year .

Hallowed_point
06-03-2013, 10:19 AM
Silverstar FTW...man that place beats up your forearms/bike though..even with 8" on travel :rofl:

Super Star FTW :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :drool:

00redLUDE
06-11-2013, 10:00 PM
So COP mountain bike park is opening up June 21. My brother and I are planning to go on Sat. June 22 if anyone wants to meet up for a few hours. We are planning on getting there at 10:00 and usu. just stay for a few hours as it's the first day of the season and we are older, we want to take it easy. :rofl:

rpresa
06-12-2013, 02:20 PM
I'll be there opening day too, demo 8 with a 888 and gold parts.

Chester
06-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by vengie
I sold all my bikes when I was 17 to buy a car... Now here we are 7 years later and I miss riding every day.

Hoping to pick up another freeride/dh bike this summer.

Ditto, except its 9 years later lol

So, if I were to go to COP after not being on a bike for all these years, will I just get destroyed or what?

JfuckinC
06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Soooo, my roommates and I just bought bikes for fucking around, nothing special just like $700-$900(Kona/Specialized) range bikes.. Is there anything for us at COP? anything easy?

What about moose mountain, I was actually out at shell moose mountain today for work, where is the trails and shit from there? Any maps anywhere?

FYI we're mad beginners lol.. Thanks :thumbsup:

bjstare
06-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
Soooo, my roommates and I just bought bikes for fucking around, nothing special just like $700-$900(Kona/Specialized) range bikes.. Is there anything for us at COP? anything easy?

What about moose mountain, I was actually out at shell moose mountain today for work, where is the trails and shit from there? Any maps anywhere?

FYI we're mad beginners lol.. Thanks :thumbsup:

Haha the first time I rode a DH bike it was rented, and I was out with more experienced guys. I said the same thing about being a beginner.

Turns out it's just like dirt biking, but super easy cause the bike only weighs 40lbs. I was faster than everyone I was with :rofl:

Darell_n
06-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

Haha the first time I rode a DH bike it was rented, and I was out with more experienced guys. I said the same thing about being a beginner.

Turns out it's just like dirt biking, but super easy cause the bike only weighs 40lbs. I was faster than everyone I was with :rofl:

Except the bike is following you instead of vice versa.

I use to destroy all the local downhill resorts when they were first opening up to mountain bikes and spent much of my time on and around Mount 7 in Golden, including many heli-biking trips out there. I still have my beast but I want to move to a light XC bike again since I'm in no where near the condition I was. This was back in the late 90's and early 2000's. Ok, now I feel old...

civic_stylez
06-12-2013, 05:53 PM
Im the same as you guys... i had 2 giant dh bikes a few years ago and got out of riding when i got my first motorcycle. I miss it all the time now. COP, Fernie, Squamish, Whistler and Swansea... ive ridden them all and i miss it so much. Im determined to get my out of shape ass back out there this year!!!

Hope to see you all out there too!

Hallowed_point
07-04-2013, 10:50 PM
Looks like I'm picking this bad boy up tomorrow. Already planning on swapping my chromag bars/seat from my dh bike onto this! We should totally get beyond COP group rides going.

I'm gonna get a non-peak hours pass for tues-fri after work :thumbsup: Nice and cool out and a hopefully less little kids romping about. $109 is a hell of a deal.

Ukyo8
07-04-2013, 11:13 PM
COP's mountain bike season has been delayed due to the floods, does anybody have any idea when it's opening up again?

Hallowed_point
07-04-2013, 11:15 PM
^^^ahh fkkk well then..at least I'll get two weeks of bc riding in. Hope it's back open soon!!

bigboom
07-05-2013, 09:10 PM
COP opens July 9th...

Hallowed_point
07-15-2013, 06:08 PM
BUMP!

Bought a 011 Giant Faith..this bike is AWESOME!

7 inches of travel front and rear but it pedals like
a hardtail. The Maestro system is truly exceptional.
You can slam it into rocks,roots etc while pedaling
and you maintain traction while the suspension is
still active.

Came upgraded with a Rockshox Totem Air RC2.

I swapped some Chromag OSX bars 30.8" wide
which gives it amazing stability over rough terrain/
steep descents.

Went riding for 9 hours straight @ Silverstar in
Vernon on Friday. With the front derailleur, you can
actually climb a little with this puppy too!

Hallowed_point
07-15-2013, 06:26 PM
I highly recommend Silverstar. It is a blast!

Hallowed_point
07-17-2013, 08:06 AM
I'll be at COP after work today..$5.00 until they have the lifts running again.

Boosted131
07-17-2013, 08:12 AM
So how do you get to the top? No way in gonna pedal my downhill bike

Hallowed_point
07-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Hike a bike or pedal..or shuttle I suppose. One of the main reasons I ditched the downhill bike..it's nice to have a sub 40 lb bike with a front derailleur/adjustable fork for the climbs again!

Is that your only bike? COP is so tame these days that I found my downhill bike was totally overkill :dunno:

Boosted131
07-17-2013, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Hike a bike or pedal..or shuttle I suppose. One of the main reasons I ditched the downhill bike..it's nice to have a sub 40 lb bike with a front derailleur/adjustable fork for the climbs again!

Is that your only bike? COP is so tame these days that I found my downhill bike was totally overkill :dunno:

My only bike I can ride there, think they would let me bring the wr450? And use the excuse the chairlift is down so I didn't want to pedal!

So people are just taking turns driving trucks up and down then?

Hallowed_point
07-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Boosted131

My only bike I can ride there, think they would let me bring the wr450? And use the excuse the chairlift is down so I didn't want to pedal!

So people are just taking turns driving trucks up and down then?

HAHA, only one way to find out!!

Maybe , I'm not sure as today's my first visit
for the season. I hope so :thumbsup:
Otherwise, it's gonna be a whole lotta
pedaling

Hallowed_point
07-17-2013, 10:38 AM
This is my shuttle rig..works great

quick_scar
07-17-2013, 10:59 AM
I was there one day a couple years back when the lift broke. Some random guy was shuttling people up with his truck.

If the lift is still down, I might have to pay it forward and swing by with the beater.

Hallowed_point
07-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Hill report:

Went to COP after work on Friday.

Consesus was that it was a waste of time. Really cool that there were plenty of people in trucks to shuttle riders (random guys as well.) But man, that place is rough. Trails are in such bad shape and poorly designed. Due to the lack of vert at COP, they make these windey, narrow frustrating trails with no flow. Laser Fade was OK but other then that I don't have much positive to say about the trail designs. I did two runs and then went home lol. COP was actually pretty awesome back in 2006/2007 ish when I first moved here from BC. I'd love to see them return to the old park design. Even if they were to take something like Laser Fade but add some rock gardens or drops etc.

Think I'm going to just go to kicking horse a couple times a month.

To be fair though; after two weeks @ Silverstar in Vernon, it's pretty tough to go ride @ COP :rofl:

a social dsease
07-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Last week took a camping/biking vacation out to BC. Spent 3 nights at Alice Lake Provincial Park in Squamish. That place is just unreal, I'd HIGHLY recommend it anyone trying to decide where to go for a biking vacation. Gorgeous campground, beautiful lake with warm water, fantastic trails that start/end right from your campsite, and an all around great trail network that you can access without having to drive anywhere, literally just hop on your bike and go. Good mix of beginner/intermediate/advanced trails as well. My only regret was that we only stayed there 3 days.

Also hit up the north shore (Mt Fromme), Sumas Mtn in Abbotsford, Canoe Trail system in Salmon Arm and Pemberton.

Mt Fromme is obviously one of the most legendary places in all of mtn biking so probably doesn't need an explanation, but it was amazing as always. Sumas in Abbotsford was excellent, great flow, nice easy climb, and good mix of beginner/intermediate trails. Canoe system in SA was great also, worth stopping for a ride if you are passing through. I was really excited to check out Pemberton as I've heard great things, but I don't know if I'd go back. Big lack of beginner-intermediate trails (Blacks are ok for me but GF had nothing to do) and the trails I did do were not signed at all, ended up getting completely lost even though I had a trail map. Also the campground is about 10min drive from most of the trails, unlike Alice Lake where you can literally ride right from your site. I think next time we'll just do a week at Alice and skip Pemberton.

Boosted131
07-31-2013, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Hallowed_point
Hill report:

Went to COP after work on Friday.

Consesus was that it was a waste of time. Really cool that there were plenty of people in trucks to shuttle riders (random guys as well.) But man, that place is rough. Trails are in such bad shape and poorly designed. Due to the lack of vert at COP, they make these windey, narrow frustrating trails with no flow. Laser Fade was OK but other then that I don't have much positive to say about the trail designs. I did two runs and then went home lol. COP was actually pretty awesome back in 2006/2007 ish when I first moved here from BC. I'd love to see them return to the old park design. Even if they were to take something like Laser Fade but add some rock gardens or drops etc.

Think I'm going to just go to kicking horse a couple times a month.

To be fair though; after two weeks @ Silverstar in Vernon, it's pretty tough to go ride @ COP :rofl: back when cop used to be good and had the runs like dirty little secret , 4 cross track , better downhill track etc.

GreyFox
08-16-2013, 07:04 PM
Anyone been out to Moose recently or perhaps can just provide some insight as to if SHAFT is ridable or not? I'm really confused and can't seem to figure out how things work out there and don't want to go down a trail and end up having to hike back up in order to get out.

I was on Bike Pirate and here's what it says:
SHAFT Moose Mountain, AB Caution is advised, watch for deadfall. A large tree is down across the trail about half way down SHAFT. The trail is otherwise in good shape until its exit at T-Dub. The bottom of T-Dub is a gully from this point to the Canyon Creek crossing. The hip on the right is mandatory, but can be rolled. Be very careful entering Canyon Creek and be prepared to walk you bike. There is a 4-6 foot drop (not the kind you can huck). Please use caution walking on edge of gully and along the unconsolidated bank of Canyon Creek. ~ MMBTS August 3, 2013

T-Dub Moose Mountain, AB CLOSED: Erosion and debris have deposited and eroded the length of the trail starting at the first crossing just above the gully. The gully will not ever be ridden again and repairs are required before you can pass on your bike. After the rock drop, the destruction is continuous as the trail weaved over the creek many times. It will be some time before a re-route is planned and construction can be completed. This is unlikely to happen until at least next year. DO NOT try to ride this trail! You will be walking, and then tripping and falling over rocks, debris, and gullies. ~ MMBTS August 3, 2013

My question is: If you take SHAFT, isn't the only way to get back to the bottom by taking T-Dub (which is closed)?
If anyone can provide some insight it would be greatly appreciated!