PDA

View Full Version : Spectator Death at Jeep Go-Topless Event?

Sugarphreak
05-18-2013, 02:50 PM

EDMONTON - A woman was killed Saturday at a Jeep show in Oliver Square after a vehicle suddenly accelerated and flipped over, hitting a female spectator.

The incident happened around 1 p.m. at the Jeeps Go Topless Day event, which was raising money for the Edmonton Food Bank.

A man driving a black-and orange Jeep had just finished doing a “flex” demonstration, in which he pulled up alongside another Jeep and rode up onto its tire, said Shawn Landsman, an exhibitor at the event that drew dozens of spectators.

The Jeep suddenly lurched forward into a silver Jeep parked nearby, where a woman was standing, Landsman said.

“All I heard was the vehicle accelerate,” he said “It hit that other Jeep, went up on the hood and flipped over, and that was it. Everybody was in chaos after that.”

The orange Jeep remained laying on its driver’s side next to the silver Jeep in the south end of the Oliver Square parking lot, on 104th Avenue near 118th Street.

Dozens of spectators solemnly milled around the parking lot as police interviewed witnesses.

A man at the scene said he saw the woman’s boyfriend wail in anguish, hugging another man and crying.

Landsman said he felt “sick” after seeing the woman taken away in an ambulance.

Police later reported that the woman had died.

“I just don’t understand it. It’s utter disbelief,” Landsman said. “I’ve been doing shows for many, many years and I have never seen anything like this happen.

FraserB
05-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Seriously injured is what I heard, Jeep lurched forward after a stacking demo.

Unknown303
05-18-2013, 02:56 PM
rookies

Sugarphreak
05-18-2013, 03:03 PM

MGCM
05-18-2013, 03:04 PM
:( RIP

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/touch/story.html?id=8406056

Sugarphreak
05-18-2013, 03:09 PM

FraserB
05-18-2013, 03:12 PM
For those wondering, this is what they were trying to do. Or they were coming at each other to put the driver tire of one Jeep on the driver tire of the second.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd316/fraserbrown1986/Stacking_zps01c162f9.jpg

FraserB
05-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Looks like it happened after the demonstration and not during.

Terrible thing to happen none the less.

JAYMEZ
05-18-2013, 04:28 PM
My friends cousin was next to the girl when it happened he said this on his fb "My cousin was right beside her, he said guys throttle stuck open and squished her between two trucks, drove over her and then rolled"

Sugarphreak
05-18-2013, 04:36 PM

dj_rice
05-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Tragic event. And the guys there were doing it for a good cause

D. Dub
05-18-2013, 04:44 PM
My theory? He was supposed to back off of the tire he was on. He mistakenly left it in Drive and accelerated forward - panicked, missed the brake and hit the accelerator again and it rolled.

FraserB
05-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
My theory? He was supposed to back off of the tire he was on. He mistakenly left it in Drive and accelerated forward - panicked, missed the brake and hit the accelerator again and it rolled.

It was a driver front to passenger front stack and the driver exited the vehicle with it was flexed out. If he had gotten back in and tried to go forward (not going to happen), he would have immediately rolled it onto the passenger side next to the vehicle he climbed.

The silver JK to the right in the pictures looks like it has front end damage where the orange Jeep hit it and flopped onto the driver side next to it.

Sugarphreak
05-18-2013, 05:12 PM

Sugarphreak
05-20-2013, 09:22 AM

lilmira
05-20-2013, 04:00 PM
That's sad, they were about to get married. :cry:

Tik-Tok
05-20-2013, 05:12 PM
(From his facebook account, that a newpaper published)

“I can explain my perspective on the incident, but it doesn’t matter ... to me anyways, all I can think about is the person that was hurt,” Supernault wrote. “I have never been so terrified in my life and I am soooooooooo sorry, I know there will be a ton of hatred and speculation regarding what happened, and I accept that. But please understand that I would never go out of my way to hurt anybody or deliberately inflict any kind of pain.

“I don’t know who it was that was hurt, but they are all I can think about. The only thing I can say from an incidental standpoint, is that Jeep should NOT have moved ... period. All the brakes were engaged and the clutch was at the floor. It should not have moved.”

Clutch cable broke? (or line burst if hydraulic)

DEATH2000
05-24-2013, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Not surprising; demonstrations should have had sufficient clear space from spectators.

I think this is going to be something other clubs need to examine closely when it comes to how they run public events in the future.
Exactly. Stacking tires isnt exactly the safest thing. Nobody should have been near either vehicle, especially while on of them was still running.

Obviously its tragic for everyone involved, but this could most likely could have been prevented.

FraserB
05-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by DEATH2000

Obviously its tragic for everyone involved, but this could most likely could have been prevented.

How would you have prevented this? Keep in mind the Jeep that was hit and where the woman was hit was well forward of where the demo was happening.

DEATH2000
05-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by FraserB

How would you have prevented this? Keep in mind the Jeep that was hit and where the woman was hit was well forward of where the demo was happening.
Im not familair with the venue or the specifics of the location, however from what I read and understand was that the woman was next to one of the Jeeps and the orange one rolled on top of her. Why was she or anyone else allowed this close to the jeeps while the engine was still on? The driver said the clutch was engaged and the brakes were on, but the car was still running. This could have been prevented if specatators werent allowed close to the vehicles until they were shut off and the wheels still on the ground chocked. IMO anyway.

Tik-Tok
05-25-2013, 10:20 AM
The woman was standing next to a Jeep that wasn't involved with the tire crawl thing. The one Jeep that was, launched forward and then on top of a non-participating Jeep, then flipped over onto her.

Edit: I just watched footage of the event... and wow, there were a LOT of people REALLY fucking close to the two participating Jeeps when they were crawling up.

Sugarphreak
05-25-2013, 10:42 AM