PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running Sundown Audio gear?

ZMan2k2
05-19-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm interested in the SD-2 shallow mount sub, as I have limited space in my truck. Right now I have an Alpine PDX-M6 amp with 600w and a JL W3v3. But I want more bass. These Sundown subs have crazy excursion, like 24mm each way, vs the 14 of my JL. Would that get me a little more SPL? If you have sundown gear, I'd love to hear it, before I buy it. That's the issue with buying internet only gear. So if you have it, and are willing to demo, or if you've tried it, and it failed spectacularily, let me know.

I would use it in a .6 cu. ft. box, a little larger than the recommended .5 cu. ft. sealed enclosure.

MrSector9
05-19-2013, 09:12 AM
I have known Jacob the guy that started sundown since before he started the company through online car audio stuff, all of the earlier stuff was built by Scott that owns Fi Car Audio and had used to be a designer/builder at Resonant Engineering.

Most of the reason I put all those names and associations is if you read anything online you will see that it is some of the best in the industry.

I heard a bunch of the earlier stuff and it was extremely well built and he prides himself on the quality of the sound.

Running in a .6CF will not hurt anything, just lower the frequency a little bit which will more then likely be a good thing.

coles notes: buy it, you will LOVE it.

ZMan2k2
05-19-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm so close to pulling the trigger, but not being able to hear before I buy concerns me a little. Youtube videos don't really answer my questions. Anyone else have any input?

ZMan2k2
05-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Well, after researching the names mentioned above, and chatting with the guys at Sundown, I'm getting two SD-2 D4 subs. Gotta wait for shipping on the new box and subs, and I should have closer to the bass I'm looking for in my truck. I'm gonna be the guinea pig on this board by the sounds of it.

MrSector9
05-19-2013, 02:25 PM
Most people only know the normal brands and not the boutique stuff, that is why.

Trust me after seeing what you had before these are going to blow your mind :)

I still have some old Resonant Engineering stuff in my garage from before they were bought out. A RE SE 12" and a custom built 12" (cross between a RE MT and an RE HC), The big one I have run 1600 watts rms daily on it for a long time and works perfect. It has done over 150db in a trunk car with 2400 watts rms.

you will not be in a downward spiral of audio gear though :)

ZMan2k2
05-19-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't know, I just dropped 5 bills because my wife got me a new amp for our anniversary. That's not a downward spiral?:nut:

Graham_A_M
05-23-2013, 04:19 PM
^ Shit can get expensive man. My old Soundstream amp. an XX-4000D (4 kilowatts RMS) was $2400 new, I sold it for an astronomical $450. :(, showroom condition with all of 10 hours use on it.
Thats why Im not into car audio too much anymore.... its a waste of money really.

Originally posted by MrSector9
Most people only know the normal brands and not the boutique stuff, that is why.

Trust me after seeing what you had before these are going to blow your mind :)

I still have some old Resonant Engineering stuff in my garage from before they were bought out. A RE SE 12" and a custom built 12" (cross between a RE MT and an RE HC), The big one I have run 1600 watts rms daily on it for a long time and works perfect. It has done over 150db in a trunk car with 2400 watts rms.

you will not be in a downward spiral of audio gear though :)

Let me know if you're interested in selling any of those subs or the next closest thing. I have an 8" in my S10, and I seriously want to kill it with fire. :banghead:

ZMan2k2
06-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, I rethought my power needs for the Sundown subs. I was running an Alpine PDX-M6 amp to each sub, but with the gains cranked all the way up, and the bass enhancement turned way up on the deck, the power was obviously too low to run the subs. So, a Hifonics Zeus ZRX2400.1D 2400w amp is on the way. That should do the trick for these power hungry subs.

Graham_A_M
06-02-2013, 10:31 AM
^ Fuck you really should have bought my old XX4000D. I only was asking $450 for it. :thumbsdow

Bad timing I guess. Yeah if that amp wasn't powerful enough for you, something was wrong. :rofl: :rofl:

ZMan2k2
06-02-2013, 10:45 AM
Dammit, swap plus cash. Oh well, too late now. Amp is already ordered. My goal is to hit 135db in the truck. Right now, I'm around 115-120db with the old JL and the PDX amp. Not bad, but theres always room for more.:devil: