PDA

View Full Version : Where in AB can you max out a car?

Stewjoe
05-20-2013, 08:00 AM
I'm wondering where in AB you can legally max out a vehicles top speed. I'm not familiar with most of the tracks but I would assume while you can get some good speed on them you cannot max out a car. I'm wondering if there's any private/closed roads in good condition that could be used.

My cars tires are rated for up to 300kph, the gearing-redline max is well over 300, it is not electronically governed and the car is mechanically sound. The rumored drag limited top speed is approximately 280.

tom_9109
05-20-2013, 08:17 AM
Beautiful death machine you have there.

A790
05-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Stewjoe
I'm wondering where in AB you can legally max out a vehicles top speed. I'm not familiar with most of the tracks but I would assume while you can get some good speed on them you cannot max out a car. I'm wondering if there's any private/closed roads in good condition that could be used.
There aren't any roads of sufficiently length that exist that could be used for a purpose like this (as far as I am aware anyway).

CanmoreOrLess
05-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Sounds like a trip to Utah (Salt Flats) is on your bucket list. Wear a mouthguard as that Korean bird will have a rough landing.

Stewjoe
05-20-2013, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by A790

There aren't any roads of sufficiently length that exist that could be used for a purpose like this (as far as I am aware anyway).

Oh, that's unfortunate. Thanks.

Tik-Tok
05-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Go to the salt flats, or join Zahirs "Race the Base" next time it happens.

Edit: Also, I seriously doubt your car would ever make it to 280. Your front isn't as aerodynamic as you think, you'd probably need a lot more power to fight the drag.

NoMoreG35
05-20-2013, 09:53 AM
On a dyno?

AE92_TreunoSC
05-20-2013, 10:15 AM
On jack stands.

tirebob
05-20-2013, 10:28 AM
I just got back from test driving a multitude of cars and tires at Continental's Test track facilities in Uvalde Texas. It is a crazy place! They have dry road course's, constantly wet road course, wet skid pads, offroad testing areas, etc, etc, etc on 5500 acres, and what you would probably be most interested, an 8 mile oval! :eek: Sadly though, I don't think anywhere with something like that is ever open to the public...

Not that this will help you. Just made me think of it... :dunno:

94_S14
05-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Go to the salt flats, or join Zahirs "Race the Base" next time it happens.

Edit: Also, I seriously doubt your car would ever make it to 280. Your front isn't as aerodynamic as you think, you'd probably need a lot more power to fight the drag.

If not electronically governed I can see it reaching close to 280. Ive seen nearly stock G35's (300 crank hp) reach 260-270 mark without much issue. The 2013 Genesis is 340 ish from what i remember.

Regardless, there isnt much excitement to be had at that speed (especially for the risks). You'd be better off spending your time getting into a local autocross or just cruising some BC mountain roads.

revelations
05-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Not legal, but I would head a few hours North East of Calgary, find a long stretch of quiet secondary, paved highway in good condition.

I've seen lots during my travel that way where going 300kph wouldnt be so bad in a car thats meant for it. I have a friend who lives out that way and he used to commute his Dodge Stealth back and forth at those speeds on certain stretches of road out there in the summer.

If you find one, go back and forth a few times to get a feel for the road increasing speed each pass.

Make sure no homes are near the road, same for intersections.

M.alex
05-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Deerfoot - other cars on the road serve as a test of your reflexes, like in a video game.

revelations
05-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Deerfoot - other cars on the road serve as a test of your reflexes, like in a video game.

You mean like the two young asshats on street bikes (one without a license) where one was going ~170 km on QE2 close to Airdie?

Just a brilliant place to be riding like that...!! I'll be all they had for protective gear was a lid.

http://www.660news.com/2013/05/19/motorcyclist-tries-to-flee-from-police-clocked-going-180-kmh-on-highway-2/

Sentry
05-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
I just got back from test driving a multitude of cars and tires at Continental's Test track facilities in Uvalde Texas. It is a crazy place! They have dry road course's, constantly wet road course, wet skid pads, offroad testing areas, etc, etc, etc on 5500 acres, and what you would probably be most interested, an 8 mile oval! :eek: Sadly though, I don't think anywhere with something like that is ever open to the public...

Just came to brag eh :D

speedog
05-20-2013, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by revelations
You mean like the two young asshats on street bikes (one without a license) where one was going ~170 km on QE2 close to Airdie? Just brilliant!

http://www.660news.com/2013/05/19/motorcyclist-tries-to-flee-from-police-clocked-going-180-kmh-on-highway-2/
How large is the possibility that the one dumb ass is a member here?

speedog
05-20-2013, 01:00 PM
Almost as dumb as this...

CALGARY- A 15-year-old from Red Deer is facing a number of charges after being caught speeding excessively on Highway 2.

Just before 9 a.m. on Monday, Airdrie RCMP were alerted about a black Nissan Altima speeding near the Crossfield overpass. When officers tracked it down, the car was going 187 km/h in a 110 km/h zone.

When the vehicle was pulled over, the teenage girl driving tried to switch places with the passenger, as she does not have a valid license.

She has since been charged with numerous offences, including speeding and driving an uninsured vehicle.

Link (http://globalnews.ca/news/575816/teenager-caught-excessively-speeding-without-a-valid-license/) to story.

MGCM
05-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by tirebob

damn im jelous, that must have been an absolute blast

Stewjoe
05-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by 94_S14

If not electronically governed I can see it reaching close to 280. Ive seen nearly stock G35's (300 crank hp) reach 260-270 mark without much issue. The 2013 Genesis is 340 ish from what i remember.

Regardless, there isnt much excitement to be had at that speed (especially for the risks). You'd be better off spending your time getting into a local autocross or just cruising some BC mountain roads.

348 at the crank with premium is what the manufacturer claims. Hopefully mine will be over 300rwhp this June. I agree about not all that exciting but it's something I would like to do once. I have heard the car is stable at high speeds.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-20-2013, 01:52 PM

348 at the crank with premium is what the manufacturer claims. Hopefully mine will be over 300rwhp this June. I agree about not all that exciting but it's something I would like to do once. I have heard the car is stable at high speeds.

Keep in mind we are quite a bit above sea level here so your N/A car won't be as efficient as manufacture claims in most cases.

I would be lucky to see 280KM/H in my 135i with a tune I think.

gyu
05-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Keep in mind we are quite a bit above sea level here so your N/A car won't be as efficient as manufacture claims in most cases.

The Genesis is turbo.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by gyu

The Genesis is turbo.

Not the 348HP model, that's a V6. The turbo ones are 210 or 270HP depending on what year.

gyu
05-20-2013, 02:31 PM
I stand corrected :thumbsup:

Stewjoe
05-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

You might be right, all I know is that there's only one way to find out :bigpimp:

ekguy
05-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by gyu

The Genesis is turbo.

not the top model. top model is a bigger n/a 6 cylinder.

ekguy
05-20-2013, 03:32 PM

You might be right, all I know is that there's only one way to find out :bigpimp:

if I hit 255 in my '91 legend coupe and also in my '88 turbo II when I had it then I'm sure as hell you'll have no issue hitting 280 maybe a bit more. Just be careful if you decide to do something illegal...

Sugarphreak
05-20-2013, 04:34 PM

max_boost
05-20-2013, 04:56 PM
Stony Trail?

Anything over 200kms and I get scared.

schocker
05-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Stoneyburgring?

Anything over 200kms and I get scared.
Fixed :D
No idea around here though. Never know where CPS or RCMP is hiding. Highway 2 though is the popular choice this long weekend :rofl:

pitot
05-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Would one of the rural airport strips be sufficient for this?

That or go South to the salt flats.

Unfortunatly not, most small airfields around that are uncontrolled do not have very long paved runways.

The international airport has a 12,675 foot runway which is I believe just shy of 4km. Still not enough to safely reach top speed and then safely stop

Team_Mclaren
05-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Whats the point? And I highly doubt it'll get to 280km, that's 170mph which only a few cars can reach. Even if it does, but it'll take the car 5 mins to get there.... no strip is long enough in that case.

benyl
05-20-2013, 08:45 PM

You'll be lucky to make 250rwhp on an average day here in Calgary. 300rwhp on that NA motor is going to need some serious mods.

gpomp
05-20-2013, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by benyl

You'll be lucky to make 250rwhp on an average day here in Calgary. 300rwhp on that NA motor is going to need some serious mods.
Aren't dyno's usually corrected for altitude?

bowlofrice
05-20-2013, 09:08 PM
my 2010 genny is making 260whp and almost 300tq here...lol

top speed my car has hit before tune and governer removal was 260..which was the limit

benyl
05-20-2013, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by gpomp

Aren't dyno's usually corrected for altitude?

There is no altitude correction on a "road" when he is chasing 300 km/h.

Doesn't matter what it makes on a dyno. what it puts down on the road is all that matters.

The Genesis 2.0T with a tune will probably keep up in Calgary.

Stewjoe
05-20-2013, 09:45 PM
I live 1400 feet lower than Calgary and the car is getting Custom dyno tuned in Edmonton or possibly Calgary this June.

A790
05-20-2013, 10:07 PM
I live 1400 feet lower than Calgary and the car is getting Custom dyno tuned in Edmonton or possibly Calgary this June.
So you're going to get it tuned in a higher altitude than where it will be primarily driven? lol

relyt92
05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by 94_S14

Regardless, there isnt much excitement to be had at that speed (especially for the risks). You'd be better off spending your time getting into a local autocross or just cruising some BC mountain roads. I had an Acura CL-S that hit an indicated 255km/h and that was with 260hp. I could definitely see a car like this hitting 280 if there is sufficient space.

Cody D
05-21-2013, 10:11 AM

A custom dyno tune on an N/A car isn't going to help you much, you need forced induction to see real gains.

Stewjoe
05-21-2013, 12:14 PM
I fully realize the gains (or lack of gains) of N/A tuning, it's still the best bang for your buck.

89s1
05-21-2013, 12:46 PM
I fully realize the gains (or lack of gains) of N/A tuning, it's still the best bang for your buck.

I disagree with this statement 100%

More bucks for a bigger bang is still better than lots of little mods that are cheap and do fuck all.

..*JDM Hatch*..
05-21-2013, 01:19 PM
Head north on the qe2 past airdrie, take the cross field turn off and head east. Put the hammer down, very long straight that you can reach those speeds..... Watch out for deer.

Stewjoe
05-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

I disagree with this statement 100%

More bucks for a bigger bang is still better than lots of little mods that are cheap and do fuck all.

I get where you're coming from but the 2013 is a refresh year and there is changes to the Engine. There are zero forced induction kits, zero cams, there's only one company in North America that will even tune a FI 3.8 and they haven't even tuned the GDI for FI yet. For now a custom tune is the best I'm going to get if I don't want NOS.

Originally posted by ..*JDM Hatch*..
Head north on the qe2 past airdrie, take the cross field turn off and head east. Put the hammer down, very long straight that you can reach those speeds..... Watch out for deer.

A Camaro got busted going 230+ on that road last year. I know of roads that I could max out on, I was just hoping there was a hidden "jem" of a road in AB I could legally use.

revelations
05-21-2013, 05:19 PM

A Camaro got busted going 230+ on that road last year. I know of roads that I could max out on, I was just hoping there was a hidden "jem" of a road in AB I could legally use.

Thats nowhere near far enough, I'm talking about Castor and Coronation booney land area. Nothing but grass and fences if you take the right roads.

Team_Mclaren
05-21-2013, 05:27 PM

a road in AB I could legally use.

WUT?

Tik-Tok
05-21-2013, 05:39 PM

There are zero forced induction kits,

http://www.shopbtr.com/TurboKitscom-Genesis-Coupe-38L-Single-Turbo-Kit_p_1403.html

http://www.shopbtr.com/APG-Rotrex-Supercharger-Kit-for-Genesis-Coupe-38_p_890.html

:dunno:

MrSector9
05-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

http://www.shopbtr.com/TurboKitscom-Genesis-Coupe-38L-Single-Turbo-Kit_p_1403.html

http://www.shopbtr.com/APG-Rotrex-Supercharger-Kit-for-Genesis-Coupe-38_p_890.html

:dunno:

that is for 2009-2012.

ExtraSlow
05-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Wait, you're looking for a public road where you can test out the top speed of your car?
Don't do this. Any public road in Alberta is dangerous at those speeds.

You can argue all day long about the relative safety of driving 120, 130 or even 140, but NO road in Alberta is safe to be used at 200+ km/h, and your reflexes aren't fast enough to react when some farmer pulls his combine onto the road, or more likely, some farm kid pulls his power wheels our from the tree-lined driveway.

Stewjoe
05-21-2013, 06:05 PM
No, not a public road. Something closed or private. I realize it was a shot in the dark. I wouldn't take my car to 280 on any road that wasn't closed and in good condition. Oh well. I was kind of hoping for an old airport, army base or something along those lines.

bourge73
05-21-2013, 06:12 PM
Not to mention you have posted for all to see (including your insurance company if they choose to..) You ever get into a high speed accident, please see this thread....

ExtraSlow
05-21-2013, 06:25 PM
No, not a public road. Something closed or private. I realize it was a shot in the dark. I wouldn't take my car to 280 on any road that wasn't closed and in good condition. Oh well. I was kind of hoping for an old airport, army base or something along those lines.
Your posts did imply you were looking for a public road. I'm glad to hear that's not your intention.
Race the base would be the correct venue for this. I know of no racetrack around here that's long enough to do real top-speed runs.

Stewjoe
05-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Your posts did imply you were looking for a public road. I'm glad to hear that's not your intention.
Race the base would be the correct venue for this. I know of no racetrack around here that's long enough to do real top-speed runs.

Thanks, I have heard about that. I will look into it.

kvg
05-21-2013, 06:55 PM
Find long stretch with no turns, houses, or intersections and get two spotters. I do hope you do it in a controlled environment though.

soloracer
05-21-2013, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Sounds like a trip to Utah (Salt Flats) is on your bucket list. Wear a mouthguard as that Korean bird will have a rough landing.

The problem with the Salt Flats is traction. You won't get anywhere near the maximum velocity at the Salt Flats that you would get on pavement.

Maxt
05-22-2013, 02:27 AM
I've been patiently waiting for the Zahir jokes to surface in this thread.

lilmira
05-22-2013, 08:18 AM
http://shift-therapy.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Street-s-closed-pizza-boy-the-fast-and-the-furious-movies.jpg

clem24
05-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

LOL his original post says

I'm wondering where in AB you can legally max out a vehicles top speed.

Note the word legally. ;)

Anyway if you find out, I'd be interested in knowing. Would be interesting. I'd be worried about the tires though.

[Edit]Related older thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=295833

Stewjoe
05-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I'd be worried about the tires though.

They are Bridgestone Potenza RE050A. Y rated up to 300. I would upgrade my brakes (EBC yellowstuff, rotors, braided SS lines and new fluid) before trying anything.

Alak
05-22-2013, 05:12 PM
I remember long ago, I had my Rx-7 to the max in an undisclosed location and a whole herd of deer ran across the road up ahead. I was able to stop in time, but it was a very sobering experience. You may think its a controlled enviornment, but really, you have absolutely no control over the enviornment in a public place.