PDA

View Full Version : me vs vishnu/ups/credit card company

googe
02-20-2004, 03:17 AM
okay, wondering if anyone has experience in these situations, or knows some relevant legal rights.

i ordered something from vishnu tuning in california. in their order form, there are no options to select for shipping. instead, it has a comment box and a note saying to specify shipping options in the comment box.

i fill out the form and order without remembering to fill in the comment box. i hit submit. i get emailed a receipt/confirmation email, then realize, damn forgot the box. so i reply to them, forwarding the receipt, my order number, the relevant info, and i mention that i hadnt filled in my shipping options and for shipping i would like the least expensive option available, delivery time is not a concern. i then state, of course, that i refuse to do business with UPS, and if no other courier is available as an option, that i would not like to order the product. basically, send it to me without using ups, or dont send it at all. easy enough.

so the other day, my doorbell rings, and who is it...none other than my brown short sporting friend! UPS! :banghead: and so doing what he does best, he asked that i bite on a cork and faced the other direction, then he proceeded to bend me over and rape me on brokerage charges (surprise!). an item, about the size of a box of ritz crackers, with a declared value of $50, warranted a $30 brokerage fee. they obviously didnt use an inexpensive shipping option either, because i was charged an extra $40 by them (vishnu) for my order.

so of course i send vishnu some hate mail, basically saying thanks for blatantly ignoring my request and doing exactly what i said not to, now please reimburse me or ill refuse the charge on my credit card, and if you want the product back you can send me all associated shipping costs (what i paid to get it to me, and what it will cost me to send it back).

i get a reply a few hours later saying that they did not get my request in time and so it was sent via their standard ups method. they said they are typically 2-3 days behind in catching up to email because they get 75-150 emails a day or something. so i reply again, telling him to note the timestamps - the messages were sent within 3 minutes of each other. the item, according to UPS tracking, was mailed out 3 days later.

my question is, can i do that? do i have grounds to not pay them for the product, and hold it until they pay for it to be sent to them?

redx2nv
02-20-2004, 04:09 AM
I think your fucked dude..Sorry..

When he was at your door you should have just refused it, it would be sent back at the cost of the sellers expense..

On another note, i just found out yesterday FED-EX just fucking charged me with PST without my knowledge on my credit card, fucking idiots...:thumbsdow

tulit
02-20-2004, 08:56 AM
yup should have refused it :(

I think the only way your getting your money back is if vishnu decides to be nice to its customer. ie Not likely!

TrevorK
02-20-2004, 09:02 AM
I don't think that your VISA will allow a chargeback in this case because you received exactly what you ordered, and they have a receipt showing that you did not indicate the preferred shipping method in the box.

You would've been better off cancelling your order, and refusing if it came.

turboMiata
02-20-2004, 09:27 AM
Not a single thing you can do. You're not alone. Most of us have been hosed like this at one point or another.

Canadian 2.5RS
02-20-2004, 10:02 AM
what did you get from vishnu?

rage2
02-20-2004, 01:22 PM
Call UPS and bitch :). I got brokerage waived after I bitched hardcore. Saved about $300 bucks!

googe
02-20-2004, 03:16 PM
blah

i just got off the phone with ups and mastercard.

ups guy laughed at me while i got pissed off at him, said "thats what we have always charged, i didnt set it...do you want to drive to vancouver and fill out the forms yourself?"

so i tried mastercard

i told them the story, they put a freeze on the charge, and said they will dispute it with the merchant on my behalf.

die ups, die vishnu :banghead:

canadian2.5rs: ecutek deltadash :D very cool software!

rage2
02-20-2004, 04:46 PM
You have to mention that there is NO disclosure of the brokerage charges on either the UPS site, to the shipper, or to you UNTIL the package shows up at your door. It's impossible to find the information. They can't charge you whatever they want.

Try a test shipment from US to Canada and get estimated charges. Brokerage is not mentioned ANYWHERE. You simply can not find the information at all. UPS agents don't inform you of the charges in the states either.

spyguy
02-20-2004, 05:21 PM
heres the info you guys are looking for...

tells you exactly what brokerage is...this is the complete break down of it

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

googe
02-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Our published rates are among the lowest in the business, with savings of up to 30 percent and often more.

HAH!

Seanith
02-20-2004, 10:16 PM
lol ups is gay

rage2
02-20-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by spyguy
heres the info you guys are looking for...

tells you exactly what brokerage is...this is the complete break down of it

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html
That's gotta be out of date. I've been charged a lot more than $62.75 brokerage only, and I've never brought in anything over $4000.