PDA

View Full Version : Driver rear window smashed by rock launch by mower...

tirebob
05-21-2013, 08:06 AM
So last evening I am putting the sprinkler on the front lawn to help green up the last little bit and my next door neighbour driving by stops and asks what happened to my window? Low and behold, I come around to find the side window behind the driver half gone and the rest completely spidered and the obvious impact point and culprit (small rock) right there for the world to see... Great...

Across the street from me are no cars and three freshly mowed lawns from earlier that afternoon. My one neighbour came over to chat earlier in the day before while I was out front doing a bit of yard work walking right past my car and neither of us noticed it broken so and all three lawns were mowed after that, so I pretty much think it could only be from one of the peeps across the street, but I can't really accuse anyone in particular and besides, I could see them not even realizing they did it as with the lawn mower running, it would cover up the sound.

So with nobody I can confidently blame, I am left with finding and replacing the window on my 2011 Accord out of my own pocket. What an awesome finish to a nice long weekend. Maybe that was my Karma hit for burning that ant hill earlier in the day! :whipped:

No advice needed... Just my turn for a Monday morning rant! :(

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/944223_10152831665350693_452408455_n.jpg

GTS4tw
05-21-2013, 08:18 AM
Yikes! Shitty deal. Its amazing what a rock thrown by a mower can do! I never really thought about it until I had a neighbor hire a guy to mow his field last year with a bobcat-mounted mower and it was throwing rocks the size of golf balls at my house! Thought is was going to break a window for sure, luckily(?) he started a huge grass fire instead and almost burned my house down.

spikerS
05-21-2013, 08:24 AM
I saw this on FB this morning. Sucks so much man!

I hate replacing automotive glass. so freaking expensive! Although, you probably have a couple connections for this.

eblend
05-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Shitty. Is there any evidence of the actual rock anywhere? Perhaps you can match it to someone else's rock garden or something? Do any of those houses have rocks anywhere on their lawns for decorative purposes? I know I have lava rocks the length of my walkway and I was thinking about this over the weekend as I was mowing...how it could possibly shoot the rocks at my house and break some glass.

Ignore all of the above if you live in Evergreen.....i haven't mowed my lawn in 3 month.....

CanmoreOrLess
05-21-2013, 08:41 AM
Bob, getting all Ironside on the situation here. You say there are three mowers across the street, which of these mows is without a bag? There's your man. Not like you can CSI (jumping forty years in TV ref.) the situation 100%, just knowing the idiot who did it will bring you zero comfort when you hear him fire up his rock thrower once a week.

Seek ye the bagless and there ye shall find the rock tosser (Brit slang ref.).

4DoorGTZ
05-21-2013, 10:55 AM
If your car was in the driveway home owners insurance might cover it, if you want to take the chance of increased premiums in the future. On the street and it's not their problem.

As mentioned above, mower without a bag is most probable culprit, but someone who has the mower set quite high with a bag could easily launch a rock too. Heck, a low mower can launch a rock while going over edges where the grass meets concrete.

tirebob
05-21-2013, 10:59 AM
I am not too stressed. Getting along with my neighbours long term is more important to me, in this case, then running around trying to prove who was responsible. If I thought they were trying to avoid me I might be more annoyed, but like I said, I honestly think they didn't even realize. I know all my neighbours and they are good people. They all buy tires off me as well so it's not like I won't get some money back on the back end. lol! I was able to score a deal on the replacement and changing it is apparently pretty simple so I am going to just let it go... Accidents happen sometimes....

Doozer
05-21-2013, 11:11 AM
I also don't think it would have anything to do with mowing without a bag. The rock likely would've shot out the side whether there was a bag or not. It's not like the guys going bagless are having to wear shin pads because because stray rocks fly out at their ankles...

woodywoodford
05-21-2013, 12:20 PM
I can assure you, launching a rock large enough to smash a window would definitely be noticeable over the sound of the mower. $300 and a pissed off brother taught me that.

toor
05-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Yeah, that shit is a loud click-CLANK! as the rock is picked up and flung around, easily heard even over a gas mower. It hurts like a bitch, too; I wince when I see people mowing in shorts/sandals.

KRyn
05-21-2013, 01:52 PM
Bunk deal, but like you said life happens. Not worth stressing something like this. Hopefully all of the glass was removed from your door. When my car was broken into and I replaced the glass my self I didn't do such a great job cleaning out the bits of broken glass. Every time you shut the passenger door of my car you could hear the glass moving around. :rofl:

SOAB
05-21-2013, 03:11 PM
last week, my lawn mower fucken shot a rock BACKWARDS and hit me right in the face, just below my eye! was damn lucky on that one.

who the hell would think to wear safety goggles to mow the lawn!!! :nut:

jwslam
05-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by SOAB
http://tackandtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/horse-safety1.jpg

CLiVE
05-21-2013, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by SOAB

I always wear safety glasses (tinted sunglasses kind - so I don't look like a complete loser) when mowing my lawn. Ever since I had a friend that had a nail kicked up by a lawn mower and hit him right in the eye.

On a side note - I had a shower door completely shatter on me this morning. So spent the morning picking up glass. Glass is everywhere....:banghead: Door came off the hinges, corner hit the tile and the entire glass pane exploded.

codetrap
05-21-2013, 04:29 PM
Bagged or not, the mower can still launch rocks. I've picked rock shards out of my leg before when the bagger was in use. The fucker ricocheted off the house and nailed me in the side of the calf. I thought someone shot me until I finally dug it out. That hurt like a motherf*&&*er.

Without the bagger, I just make sure nobody is standing downwind because I've see all sorts of stuff come outta that thing.

ExtraSlow
05-21-2013, 04:41 PM
I would think that damage done your your car when it's stationary would be covered under the comprehensive portion of your insurance policy.
Side windows can be amazingly expensive on some cars, so it could totally be worth more than the deductible.

Vinman
05-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
I am not too stressed. Getting along with my neighbours long term is more important to me, in this case, then running around trying to prove who was responsible. If I thought they were trying to avoid me I might be more annoyed, but like I said, I honestly think they didn't even realize. I know all my neighbours and they are good people. They all buy tires off me as well so it's not like I won't get some money back on the back end. lol! I was able to score a deal on the replacement and changing it is apparently pretty simple so I am going to just let it go... Accidents happen sometimes....

This.

Before anybody accuses somebody think about what YOU would do if a neighbour came over and said YOU must have broken his car window while cutting your grass.

Keeping neighbourhood peace is much more important than a window.

sillysod
05-22-2013, 04:28 PM
What kind of lawns do you guys have that shit is flying out everywhere and taking out eyes / legs?

Tirebob IMO you got lucky it hit the glass, that's an easy fix. Its like getting a huge window shattering rock in the windshield vs the hood. That would have messed up your door for sure.

rookie101
05-22-2013, 09:00 PM
I've done this to my own car and I assure you you don't notice the mower tossing a little tiny rock over the noise of the mower itself. I was renting an acreage at the time, so no one to blame but myself for miles. Sucks, but it's life.

Canmorite
05-23-2013, 11:39 AM
Worked landscaping for many years and have blown out my fair share of windows. Would leave a note with my company's info, I think the company's insurance handled it somehow :dunno:

AndyL
05-23-2013, 12:10 PM
Ditto, back in my youth - landscraping - it was rare we didnt get a morning lecture on a bi-weekly basis because one crew or another took out a window (a dozen crews). After each one they'd remind us to walk the lawn and pickup rocks/garbage/debris before mowing...

My old ransom 42" walk behind could launch a softball sized rock a good 500' - shattered an older (probably half rotted) 4x4 fencepost with a dog bone once...

i wear safety gear when mowing with a walkbehind, not so much with the tractor; though still wear safety glasses (damn low hanging branches)

THE GOVERNATOR
05-23-2013, 12:39 PM
I always cringe when driving past someone using a mower or snow blower.