PDA

View Full Version : tuning the ecoboost? warranty? options?

spikerS
05-21-2013, 08:15 AM
I have seriously been debating tuning my ecoboost for awhile now, but have constantly been faltering over the warranty part.

I have found 2 different tuners so far, Superchips and bully dog. Both are plug and play deals, and can put some decent gains up. I am leaning towards the superchips setup.

From what I have read so far, if a warranty issue comes up, I can just flash the truck back to stock, and the only thing Ford can see is that the truck's computer was accessed at a specific time and date, not what was done.

Others have said that dealers / service techs / writers have suggested owners getting a tuner.

What I am worried about most is, If I get say the superchips tuner and install the 87 tune or tow tune, will this void my warranty? The MPG gains alone tease me, but I also don't want any hassles with the warranty as driveline is good to 100k...

Hopefully some people on here have experience with this, or maybe Ratfink can chime in here too.

A790
05-21-2013, 08:28 AM
I can't speak for the ecoboost community, but I know on the Mustang's 5.0L motor that Ford has it set up in the ECU that it can track how many times the ECU has been flashed. People that have had significant engine failures (cylinder #8 popping) are being denied warranty claims if they have been tuned. Flashing it back to stock doesn't do anything: Ford knows (DUN DUN DUNNNNNN).

Twin_Cam_Turbo
05-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Probably same idea as BMW, on mine you can't see what was done of when but you can see what the maximum boost PSi was and that's what might throw them off, or it will show how many times it has been flashed in some cases like the GMs.