PDA

View Full Version : Would you consider GPS tracking of your vehicle to save $$ on insurance?

revelations
05-21-2013, 09:09 AM
This was being discussed in a derailed thread, just wondering what you guys thought of the whole idea. Quebec is all over this like poutine apparently.

It would have to be a SUBSTANTIAL savings for me to even consider the idea.

Then there is the whole idea of false, good data being sent back :poosie:

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/tracking+devices+could+lower+insurance+rates+Alberta+drivers/8411812/story.html

http://www.660news.com/2013/05/21/big-brother-could-soon-be-watching-behind-the-wheel/

Tik-Tok
05-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by revelations

It would have to be a SUBSTANTIAL savings for me to even consider the idea.

I don't think there's a discount substantial enough for me to consider it. I barely pay anything as it is. Even at 50% discount, that's only $100 a month for all 3 cars. I'd rather pay the $ to keep big brother out of my car.

FraserB
05-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Lol, no.

Without even going into the shortfalls of the tech, I don't really need a log kept of everywhere I go.

Spend too much time outside a McDonalds = Premium on health insurance goes up.

Spend it parked in a neighborhood with a higher crime rate = Premium goes up

Then you have to trust the insurance industry to determine what is "reasonable" for all their data limits and make that information public and have a way to monitor it in car.

GS430
05-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Hell no.

terrykkxx
05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
No.
Everyone has his/her rushing hours...

lilmira
05-21-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't have nothing to hide regarding bad driving behaviour. I'm more worried about how they interpret the data. I take Crowchild in the morning everyday, the flow is about 90-100km/h so it's consistently over the speed limit, is that bad driving? I take corners a bit quicker than your average Rav4s and CRVs but it's no where near screeching my tires, is that bad driving? How about people slowing down on the left lane because they just realize that they are 100m away from their exit on the right? What's next? You get a discount if you are a dedicated Buddhist?

-relk-
05-21-2013, 10:01 AM
It's "voluntary" right now, but who knows where that will end up going... A definite no from me.

94boosted
05-21-2013, 11:12 AM
NO!!!

If the system is allowed in as "voluntary" it's only a matter of time before they make it "involuntary" we need to squash this intrusive idea right away. I heard on the radio this morning that the system would only be used to discount "good" drivers and not punish "bad" drivers, yah f**king right, insurance is a business if they're going to give discounts to some drivers they will obviously need to make more off of other drivers.

OP you should add a poll to this thread, curious to see where beyond stands on this issue.

Boat
05-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I just turned 25, so no.

NoMoreG35
05-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Retarded idea. What if someone else drives my car? R they gonna put in a finger print scanner to identify the driver too? And a breathalyzer to make sure the driver is not drunk? :dunno:

Sugarphreak
05-21-2013, 12:49 PM

Masked Bandit
05-21-2013, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
NO!!!

If the system is allowed in as "voluntary" it's only a matter of time before they make it "involuntary" we need to squash this intrusive idea right away. I heard on the radio this morning that the system would only be used to discount "good" drivers and not punish "bad" drivers, yah f**king right, insurance is a business if they're going to give discounts to some drivers they will obviously need to make more off of other drivers.

There is a very easy way around that problem (for the insurance companies). They make the base rates crazy high and then "discount" the good drivers and leave the bad ones as is. See, no punishment for the bad drivers, just the base rate with no discount. FWIW, this already happens A LOT more than most people realize.

revelations
05-21-2013, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Boat
I just turned 25, so no.

I can see this being potentially useful for the many good, young drivers out there who are being lumped into the "dangerous" category by the insurance companies immediately.

Over 25 ..... no thx.

So why did Quebec bend over so quick for this? (I dont know anything about their insurance situation).

revelations
05-21-2013, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
NO!!!
OP you should add a poll to this thread, curious to see where beyond stands on this issue.

Mod, could one you guys add a poll to this? (simple yes/no)

AndyL
05-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Absolutely... I carry commercial, so any penny saved is good...

But I'm also that asshole going 97 in the 100 zone - truck gets 11L/100 at 97 (60mph), climbs at an exponential rate as you speed up (105 - 13, 110 - 13.6, 120 - 16).

max_boost
05-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Moral of the story, don’t share a shred of information with the insurance company directly or indirectly

Yep. True story.

A family member settled an accident outside of insurance however later on the lady tried to contact insurance (for whatever reason) so they found out. They immediately raised his rates based on what she said even though no claim was ever filed. :nut: I guess that's just how it work. :dunno: Of course he immediately switched insurance companies because nothing was on record. :D

Xtrema
05-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Yep. True story.

A family member settled an accident outside of insurance however later on the lady tried to contact insurance (for whatever reason) so they found out. They immediately raised his rates based on what she said even though no claim was ever filed. :nut: I guess that's just how it work. :dunno: Of course he immediately switched insurance companies because nothing was on record. :D

Again, never settle outside. We are force to pay insurance, make it work.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit

There is a very easy way around that problem (for the insurance companies). They make the base rates crazy high and then "discount" the good drivers and leave the bad ones as is. See, no punishment for the bad drivers, just the base rate with no discount. FWIW, this already happens A LOT more than most people realize.

I have no problem with this.

As for GPS tracker, I won't on my own cars but if I have a corporate fleet, I definitely would.

Hallowed_point
05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
Lol, no.

Without even going into the shortfalls of the tech, I don't really need a log kept of everywhere I go.

Spend too much time outside a McDonalds = Premium on health insurance goes up.

Spend it parked in a neighborhood with a higher crime rate = Premium goes up

Then you have to trust the insurance industry to determine what is "reasonable" for all their data limits and make that information public and have a way to monitor it in car.

This man speaks the truth.

94boosted
05-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

So if this system comes into play everyones premiums go up until you agree to this supposedly voluntary big brother device which may lower your rates if you're a "good" driver? That's in essence the same thing :dunno:

If this system goes through what's next? How far will they take it? I'm assuming this system would be GPS based, if so, even if you were a "good" driver and you took your car to the track, strip, auto-x location..... your insurance company would know and somehow find some bullshit reason to raise your premiums.

IMO Insurance Companies already are given too much information, they shouldn't even have access to your driving record, premiums should be based strictly on at-fault claims.