PDA

View Full Version : Teaching jobs in the Calgary area

3drian
05-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi there beyond, I was wondering if anyone here knows about the current market for teachers around Calgary.
My gf is a teacher, and she is currently teaching at a Hutterite colony around Lethbridge, I recently moved to Calgary since I found a temporary job here, but chances are I will be here for a while.

So I was wondering how good are her chances of finding a teaching job here in Calgary? that's the only thing holding her back from moving here. Btw she has two years subbing experience and one year experience as a permanent teacher
Thanks in advance

Tik-Tok
05-21-2013, 10:22 AM
A friend graduated last year, and she had pretty steady subbing work up until she went on mat leave a month ago.

OneUpYou
05-21-2013, 10:45 AM
What subject does she teach? They are always looking for Science & Math teachers but there is an abundance on social studies and LA teachers.

LUDELVR
05-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Teachers always get surplussed around this time and they always make it sound like there are no jobs but come September, there will be more money poured into each school because people who didn't enroll their children before summer start to flood in and the numbers go up so more teachers can be hired.

It will also depend on if she's primary or secondary as well as what board she is looking to teach in. Rockyview (the horseshoe around Calgary - Chestermere, Cochrane and smaller towns) is also a good district to work for.

She might have to sub for a while and then get a temp contract but that being said, I have some mates who have been doing temp contracts for a while so it depends what you define as steady work. :dunno:

3drian
05-21-2013, 06:02 PM
As I said she teaches at a hutterite colony, grades 1-5 but she is an english major.
She said it would suck to once again go on the sub list, specially after she already found a full-time job.

Really having a hard time trying to convince her to move to Calgary .

LUDELVR
05-21-2013, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by 3drian
As I said she teaches at a hutterite colony, grades 1-5 but she is an english major.
She said it would suck to once again go on the sub list, specially after she already found a full-time job.

Really having a hard time trying to convince her to move to Calgary .

There are no jobs at present unless she's already been given one in Calgary and if she has, chances are it's a temp one which means she's just filling a spot which could be a year or a month.

If she's looking in Calgary, she'll be subbing first and potentially filling a temp then possibly a probationary one and ultimately a continuous. Same goes if she's outside Calgary.

I've had friends that have gone through so many years of subbing and are still subbing I'n Calgary as well as a friend who just graduated from the u of c and is stuck at a reserve by Bowden because she interviewed for CBE and got turned down and can't apply for 2 years.

It's shitty but so many teachers are still teaching who shouldn't be and many are subbing who deserve a permanent contract but that's the way of life!

Cos
05-22-2013, 10:11 AM

3drian
05-22-2013, 06:28 PM
So i guess she just got offered another job in Lethbridge, So now I highly doubt she will want to move to calgary to sub and start from the bottom again...:banghead:

Cos
05-22-2013, 09:21 PM