PDA

View Full Version : High Mileage Exotics

davidI
05-22-2013, 01:48 AM
There is a possibility that I will be establishing myself in the UAE in the next couple of years and if I do, I may look at picking up an exotic for fun in the sun. Excellent deals can be found on Ferrari 360s & 430s and Lamborghini Gallardos, especially those with 25,000+ kms.

Obviously, the maintenance on these cars is not cheap so the lower purchase price on higher mileage models will not always translate to a cheaper car once maintenance is considered. I've found lots of different opinions (and cost estimates) online for higher mileage Ferraris and Lambos but I'd like to hear Beyond's opinion on the matter!

94boosted
05-22-2013, 09:51 AM
FWIW a good buddy of mine was seriously considering buying an 04-05 Lamborghini Gallardo but once he did some research on the cost of routine maintenance (fluids, brakes, plugs, clutch...) let alone the cost of replacing something more major that breaks (i.e. tranny) he was frightened. He ended up buying a newer 911T and tells me that maintenance & repair costs on that are borderline cheap when compared with the lambo.

JRSC00LUDE
05-22-2013, 09:59 AM
I realize they're ultra high performance or whatever, but the fact that a car which costs that much is considered high mileage at 25K is ridiculous lol

Asian_defender
05-22-2013, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted
FWIW a good buddy of mine was seriously considering buying an 04-05 Lamborghini Gallardo but once he did some research on the cost of routine maintenance (fluids, brakes, plugs, clutch...) let alone the cost of replacing something more major that breaks (i.e. tranny) he was frightened. He ended up buying a newer 911T and tells me that maintenance & repair costs on that are borderline cheap when compared with the lambo.

QFT, I have a good friend with a 2004 Ferrari.
Believe it or not it has trouble starting lol
He tells me when it starts he's afraid to turn it off, not to mention that the support for exotics suck. Pretty sure it was around 13k to get it fixed.
I'd stick to a Porsche if your looking to go that way

NewLextasy
05-22-2013, 10:24 AM
Ferrari's at 25k is considered high miliage but its not on a gallardo anymore. There's a lot of cars with more Kms then that on them. My 07 gallardo I have had for 5 years now has 100,000kms on it of extremely hard driving.

My cars looks and drives like it did new. But I will admit Maintenance is very expensive.

Boosted131
05-22-2013, 11:04 AM
That's sad if 25k is high mileage on a vehicle with such a high price. What parts start needing replacing ?

Xtrema
05-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Relevent:
http://www.messynessychic.com/2013/05/21/so-in-dubai-the-amount-of-abandoned-luxury-cars-lying-around-is-kind-of-a-problem/

Wonder if you can get one of these abandon gem for real cheap?

Originally posted by Boosted131
That's sad if 25k is high mileage on a vehicle with such a high price. What parts start needing replacing ?

Built to be fast, not to last.

It cost a lot since:

a) exotic materials

b) not enough qualified mechanics.

c) cars are not designed to be serviceable in mind.

T-Dubbs
05-22-2013, 11:59 AM
I heard that the exotics with the higher miles generally are in better condition than the cars that don't get driven and they sit, from my buddy who worked at Ferrari.
The ones that sit longer, had more issues in his experience.

Sugarphreak
05-22-2013, 12:35 PM

revelations
05-22-2013, 12:59 PM
From what I have heard about Lambos, the clutch(es?) are only good for about 5 hard launches and then they have to be replaced.

Its about light weight with the Italians, the Germans tend to over build their high end vehicles.

FunWheelDrive
05-22-2013, 01:21 PM
I feel I can offer real world feedback as I was a tech at ZR Auto a while ago. Lamborghini's that we saw were pretty problematic right from new. We'd have cars with 3,000-4,000kms on them from new with no start issues. Most Ferrari's I saw had minor or major oil leaks. Cam covers almost always leaked. Most Ferrari's in the shop were in for maintance, and almost all the Lambo's (besides for getting oil changes done) were in because they were broken. Engines, trannys, electrical issues ect.

That being said, there are always bad apples and good apples and they includes cheaper cars as-well. So we might not have seen any of the Lambo's or Ferrari's with no problems. So take it for what it is. However, when anything DID fail, it was big, big dollars. Long wait times and huge shop labour rates. If you think 2500 for one control arm that doesn't include bushings is affordable, a Ferrari is for you! We once had to replace the throw out bearing on a Ferrari 355, they no longer made that specific bearing so we had to order a new input shaft, fork and bearing.... $$$$$$$$$

Hallowed_point
05-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Re: post above about insane maintenance costs..

This begs the question: what is the appeal of buying
an exotic again? To stare at it in a garage and put
150 kms on it in a year while praying that nothing
breaks?

It's about as practical as Pamela Anderson :dunno:

shakalaka
05-22-2013, 01:39 PM
You don't buy an exotic to be practical, as you don't bang/be with Pamela Anderson, cause she is the nicest girl out there.

J.M.
05-22-2013, 01:42 PM
When money is no issue you probably don't give a shit about practicality.

Hallowed_point
05-22-2013, 01:47 PM
^^Oh for sure. I don't dispute that..if your a Saudi Sheikh what's couple grand for a control arm?!

But from what I'm reading here, the initial "cheap" buy-in is the appeal. This cheap buy in doesn't carryover into maintenance at all. As mentioned in OP's post.

I would also second the Porsche suggestion.

you&me
05-22-2013, 03:32 PM
One thing people looking only at the price of entry often forget is that the servicing for these cars is still proportional to the original price. Meaning that, while the $60k price on a used Ferrari 360 might seem reasonable, all of the maintenance costs are still befitting of a car that was $200k+ new...

That being said, driven cars are generally better serviced which can go a long way in reducing cost of ownership. The most important part when looking at any exotic, high mileage or not, is to review the service records and get a thorough PPI by a qualified shop. None of these cars are rare, so you really do have your pick and can find good examples, even if it takes a little hunting...

civic_stylez
05-22-2013, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by you&me
One thing people looking only at the price of entry often forget is that the servicing for these cars is still proportional to the original price. Meaning that, while the $60k price on a used Ferrari 360 might seem reasonable, all of the maintenance costs are still befitting of a car that was $200k+ new...

That being said, driven cars are generally better serviced which can go a long way in reducing cost of ownership. The most important part when looking at any exotic, high mileage or not, is to review the service records and get a thorough PPI by a qualified shop. None of these cars are rare, so you really do have your pick and can find good examples, even if it takes a little hunting...

THIS!

as a former employee of ferrari of alberta and bentley calgary, I have seen this A LOT. People find a great deal on a US ferrari or something and bring it up here and shit themselves when I told them the clutch was 13K to have done. Youre not going to auto value to find it so you had better be prepared to pay dealer pricing and although the car may depreciate, the parts do not!!!!

Lower mileage is not always better either. I had a customer with an 05 Ferrari 430 with 3500kms on in and the car ran like shit. Seals were all dried out, compression was leaking, blue smoke like crazy on startup etc... cars need to be driven just like thoroughbred horses need to be run.

DO YOUR RESEARCH and make sure you do your PREVENTATIVE maintenance!!! Cheap ass people skipped out on oil changes to save a few hundred bucks and ended up paying a fortune when things would go wrong because of it.

YOU CANT BE A BALLER ON A BUDGET!!!

davidI
05-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks for all of the thoughts everyone. What I've read generalizes that you're looking at $1 / mile for maintenance - may be more, may be less. For the Lambo's, it looks like the 30k maintenance is where they have to do a valve job and the clutch is usually ready to be replaced so it may be better to look for a car that has just had all that work done. There are also special GCC specs meant for the hotter weather and those cars seem to cost a bit more, but it's likely worth it.

Realistically, it would just be fun for a year or two for me. I wouldn't plan on living in Dubai for more than that period anyways so if it cost me $15-20k in maintenance / sales loss to drive an exotic and be a 30 year old baller I'd be okay with it. #YOLO.

I'm now reading that the Lamborghini dealer in Dubai is terrible though and hasn't had a good track record in conducting PPIs or maintenance. Not sure if Ferrari is much better. I'll have a lot more reading to do before I make a decision and this is all just speculative anyways as there are a lot of things that would have to happen with my current situation before I'd make the move.

ddduke
05-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Seems to me like Dubai would be a place with more young ballers that want to show off then mature car enthusiast that cherish their cars.

This to me would mean that most would be bagged to shit and poorly maintaned.

davidI
05-22-2013, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Seems to me like Dubai would be a place with more young ballers that want to show off then mature car enthusiast that cherish their cars.

This to me would mean that most would be bagged to shit and poorly maintaned.

Definitely a concern. Wealthy Emirates who plan to replace there car every couple of years anyways probably don't care too much about maintenance.

That said, there are a bunch of enthusiasts on Lamborghini-Talk who organize meets and such so that's good.

Plus, Dubai is quite transient, so deals can be had just from the constant movement of expats in and out of the city.

It's all a matter of finding a car with good records and that does well on a PPI conducted by a reputable shop.

davidI
05-22-2013, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by FunWheelDrive
I feel I can offer real world feedback as I was a tech at ZR Auto a while ago.

Now you're the type of guy I was hoping to hear from!!

Any specific things to watch for on Gallardos, 360s, or 430s? Those are the models I'd likely be considering due to pre-owned availability and pricing.

00redLUDE
05-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

THIS!

as a former employee of ferrari of alberta and bentley calgary, I have seen this A LOT. People find a great deal on a US ferrari or something and bring it up here and shit themselves when I told them the clutch was 13K to have done. Youre not going to auto value to find it so you had better be prepared to pay dealer pricing and although the car may depreciate, the parts do not!!!!

Lower mileage is not always better either. I had a customer with an 05 Ferrari 430 with 3500kms on in and the car ran like shit. Seals were all dried out, compression was leaking, blue smoke like crazy on startup etc... cars need to be driven just like thoroughbred horses need to be run.

DO YOUR RESEARCH and make sure you do your PREVENTATIVE maintenance!!! Cheap ass people skipped out on oil changes to save a few hundred bucks and ended up paying a fortune when things would go wrong because of it.

YOU CANT BE A BALLER ON A BUDGET!!!

What was your experience with Bentley's in terms of reliability and repair costs?

adamc
05-23-2013, 01:44 AM
Make friends with the kids that have these cars already. From what I hear, sharing is par for the course with the offspring of the megarich.

Tej.S
05-23-2013, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by adamc
Make friends with the kids that have these cars already. From what I hear, sharing is par for the course with the offspring of the megarich.

LOL, this! It's frowned upon to sell your vehicle if you're in a royal family, so they often give their cars away instead, maybe you'll get lucky? Are you hell-bent on getting a Ferrari/lambo? I mean, there's a ton of other cars that are on par performance wise, with lower maintenance costs. My friend has a CLS63 AMG and it's a hell of a ride, plus it's luxurious too(it's not a Bentley, but still). There's plenty of options to choose from outside of the rarri/lambo range.

davidI
05-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Originally posted by adamc

First problem is I'm not offspring of the mega rich and second problem is I hate the majority of the pompous entitled jackasses I see in Dubai who inherited wealth!

They wouldn't like me either. I like peanut bars with no dress code rather than fancy clubs with red ropes, I don't wear designer clothes or really give a $hit about how I look, and I'd rather get my hands dirty building or fixing something than having hired help. Totally different crowds. I'm just your average everyday guy but would like to be one who drives an exotic ;)

davidI
05-23-2013, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by Tej.S

LOL, this! It's frowned upon to sell your vehicle if you're in a royal family, so they often give their cars away instead, maybe you'll get lucky? Are you hell-bent on getting a Ferrari/lambo? I mean, there's a ton of other cars that are on par performance wise, with lower maintenance costs. My friend has a CLS63 AMG and it's a hell of a ride, plus it's luxurious too(it's not a Bentley, but still). There's plenty of options to choose from outside of the rarri/lambo range.

I sort of am hell-bent on a Ferrari / Lambo :D

I'm usually too practical so it would be fun just to do something completely impractical for a year (though given I made this thread it's obvious I can't be completely impractical and still need to somehow justify the costs!

After a year of being a money burning exotic driving fool I'd probably want to get a more practical and pick up an M3, C63, 911, or Z06 as a DD.

The odds of me actually ending up in the UAE in the next couple of years are probably 50% or less...so this is all just me day-dreaming and trying to get through my last few days of the shift here in Yemen. :)

variable_x
05-23-2013, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by davidI
Thanks for all of the thoughts everyone. What I've read generalizes that you're looking at $1 / mile for maintenance - may be more, may be less. For the Lambo's, it looks like the 30k maintenance is where they have to do a valve job and the clutch is usually ready to be replaced so it may be better to look for a car that has just had all that work done. There are also special GCC specs meant for the hotter weather and those cars seem to cost a bit more, but it's likely worth it.

Realistically, it would just be fun for a year or two for me. I wouldn't plan on living in Dubai for more than that period anyways so if it cost me $15-20k in maintenance / sales loss to drive an exotic and be a 30 year old baller I'd be okay with it. #YOLO.

I'm now reading that the Lamborghini dealer in Dubai is terrible though and hasn't had a good track record in conducting PPIs or maintenance. Not sure if Ferrari is much better. I'll have a lot more reading to do before I make a decision and this is all just speculative anyways as there are a lot of things that would have to happen with my current situation before I'd make the move.

For some reason I feel that it will cost substantially more than $15-20k a year (in maintenance / sales loss) to drive an exotic.

If it was that much, I think many people would be driving exotics here in Calgary. Hell, for $15-20k a year, I would do it.

ercchry
05-23-2013, 11:50 AM
well, the way people drive these things in the UAE... eh... i'd stay away from used... oh and here is another reason to go new ;)

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110727/CARNEWS/110729893

max_boost
05-23-2013, 12:20 PM
Yep. Perfect for the budget baller. don't have to worry about maintenance haha :love:

M.alex
05-23-2013, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by variable_x

For some reason I feel that it will cost substantially more than $15-20k a year (in maintenance / sales loss) to drive an exotic.

If it was that much, I think many people would be driving exotics here in Calgary. Hell, for $15-20k a year, I would do it.

I wouldn't :nut:

Tej.S
05-23-2013, 12:28 PM
I say just f*ck the budget and grab yourself an aventador LOL.

Graham_A_M
05-23-2013, 12:30 PM
Just stay the fuck away from the Diablo's. Second only to a McLaren F1 most owners are utterly blown away by the cost of maintenance.

They cost about a buck a KM in terms of maintenance costs. New clutch? $20k.

Their stupidly stupidly expensive to own. Its always been a dream car of mine since I was a young kid, but the cost of ownership makes it little more then a piece of art that'll sit in my garage unused, which is a total waste IMO. :dunno:

So fuck it, I'll find something else.

hurrdurr
05-23-2013, 12:40 PM
what are the prices you're finding for these "excessively" driven cars?

Boosted131
05-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
what are the prices you're finding for these "excessively" driven cars? Lots of older ones under 50k but the maintenace after a few years will probably cost as much as the car did. .

Boosted131
05-23-2013, 12:54 PM
1985 Ferrari 328 Coupe Rep low KM on Kijiji http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd?AdId=487154068

Lol lol

M.alex
05-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Just stay the fuck away from the Diablo's. Second only to a McLaren F1 most owners are utterly blown away by the cost of maintenance.

Their stupidly stupidly expensive to own. Its always been a dream car of mine since I was a young kid, but the cost of ownership makes it little more then a piece of art that'll sit in my garage unused, which is a total waste IMO. :dunno:

Yea, the cost are insane. But the lines of the car :drool:

If somebody made a quality component diablo kit (new frame, etc...) I'd soooo build one :drool: :drool: :drool:

flipstah
05-23-2013, 12:59 PM

:(

Hallowed_point
05-23-2013, 01:40 PM
I day dream about owning a Ferrari Testarossa F512 M with one mirror and in
black/red but it will never happen..I just can't own something that is held hostage to OEM parts and specialized dealers.

Graham_A_M
05-23-2013, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Yea, the cost are insane. But the lines of the car :drool:

If somebody made a quality component diablo kit (new frame, etc...) I'd soooo build one :drool: :drool: :drool:

Oh yeah dude... To me its one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen, ever.
Funny you mention kit cars. There was a Saskatoon builder called N.A.E.R.C. (North American Exotic repliCars) that built a fucking amazing kit car, it even had the 5.0L BMW V12 from an 850I, mated to a Porsche G50 tranny and rear end. You honestly, could not tell it apart from the real thing, part for part you'd swear it was the real deal. They weren't stretched Fiero frames either, full on tube chassis.
Same with another guy from Victoria BC. Both of them made the best Diablo kit cars you could ever buy. Priced between $50-100k. Depending on engine options (etc).

Then Lambo REALLY clamped down which is what Ferrari did a number of years prior, and shut both businesses down for good, along with a ton of other small shops that built these kit cars to sell.
Lambo did that a few years back, to which I haven't really kept tabs since.

You really really have to be careful with most of these kit car manufacturers. The quality can vary from dogshit builds, to stuff better from what would come out of the Lambo factory.
Most DIY kits can really be hit or miss.

Fuck when I said this....

I meant to say, the cost of ownership and maintenance is second only to the McLaren F1... wow that came out wrong. :nut:

FunWheelDrive
05-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by davidI

Now you're the type of guy I was hoping to hear from!!

Any specific things to watch for on Gallardos, 360s, or 430s? Those are the models I'd likely be considering due to pre-owned availability and pricing.

The old manual transmission 360's are lots of fun to drive, however the tip tronic system in the 360 isn't very nice to drive unless you're driving the car hard. This system was improved HUGE on the F430's and even better on a 458. I think the 430 is a much better car overall then the 360 (I perfer the looks of a 360 though). Ferrari's like to have pretty leaky engines from what I've seen, the only major down fall I really see with them is the complete nightmare of a "engine service" they need every 20,000-30,000kms. It was something like 80 hours of labour plus parts, that includes all new rad hoses, timing belts, belts, cam and crank seals, waterpump ect. You can imagine how pricey that gets. Think 20k+ and you're in the right ball park.

Also did a lot of brakes on 360's, and 430's, They're super, super easy to do. Probably easier to do then what you're driving now. However on almost every car I did the brakes on the rubber lines were distroyed and plugging up the brake system. So stainless lines was almost always used to replace factory lines. The Gallardo's were pretty good from what I can remember, we didn't actually have very many in the shop, the V12 stuff was a lot worse from what I seen. They even had typical lambo stuff though, electrical stuff that didn't work on a car that was 1-2 years old and 10,000kms on it. I really enjoyed driving the Ferrari's over the Lambo's but personal preference.

CanmoreOrLess
05-23-2013, 05:30 PM
I think I am going to slink back to the "unreliable" world of German cars and leave you folks to ponder the ownership costs of exotica vehicles from the sandy parts of earth. If the mechanic working on your car is not interested in owning the vehicle, it might be a sign it is a money pit.

Next person complaining about the cost and reliability of German cars, I am linking to this thread.

davidI
05-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
what are the prices you're finding for these "excessively" driven cars?

The cars I'd be looking at are in the $100-130k ball park. For reference, $100k CAD = 355k AED.

365k AED 2007 F430 (http://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/ferrari/other/2013/5/21/2007-ferrari-f430-with-full-service-histor-2/?back=ZHViYWkuZHViaXp6bGUuY29tL21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvZmVycmFyaS8%2FcHJpY2VfX2d0ZT0yMDAwMDAmcHJpY2VfX2x0ZT01MDAwMDAmeWVhcl9fZ3RlPTIwMDQmeWVhcl9fbHRlPTIwMTMma2lsb21ldGVyc19fZ3RlPSZraWxvbWV0ZXJzX19sdGU9JmtleXdvcmRzPSZpc19iYXNpY19zZWFyY2hfd2lkZ2V0PTAmaXNfc2VhcmNoPTEmcGxhY2VzX19pZF9faW49U3RhcnQrdHlwaW5nK2hlcmUmcGxhY2VzX19pZF9faW49JmFkZGVkX19ndGU9JnNlbGxlcl90eXBlPSZhdXRvX2FnZW50PQ%3D%3D&pos=8)
425k AED 2008 Gallardo (http://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/lamborghini/gallardo/2013/5/22/2008-lamborghini-gallardo-superleggera-jus-2-2/?back=ZHViYWkuZHViaXp6bGUuY29tL21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvbGFtYm9yZ2hpbmkvP3ByaWNlX19ndGU9JnByaWNlX19sdGU9JnllYXJfX2d0ZT0yMDA0JnllYXJfX2x0ZT0yMDEzJmtpbG9tZXRlcnNfX2d0ZT0ma2lsb21ldGVyc19fbHRlPSZrZXl3b3Jkcz0maXNfYmFzaWNfc2VhcmNoX3dpZGdldD0wJmlzX3NlYXJjaD0xJnBsYWNlc19faWRfX2luPVN0YXJ0K3R5cGluZytoZXJlJnBsYWNlc19faWRfX2luPSZhZGRlZF9fZ3RlPSZzZWxsZXJfdHlwZT0mYXV0b19hZ2VudD0%3D&pos=4)
420k AED 2008 Gallardo (http://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/lamborghini/gallardo/2013/5/16/lamborghini-gallardo-low-mileage-2/?back=ZHViYWkuZHViaXp6bGUuY29tL21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvbGFtYm9yZ2hpbmkvP3ByaWNlX19ndGU9JnByaWNlX19sdGU9JnllYXJfX2d0ZT0yMDA0JnllYXJfX2x0ZT0yMDEzJmtpbG9tZXRlcnNfX2d0ZT0ma2lsb21ldGVyc19fbHRlPSZrZXl3b3Jkcz0maXNfYmFzaWNfc2VhcmNoX3dpZGdldD0wJmlzX3NlYXJjaD0xJnBsYWNlc19faWRfX2luPVN0YXJ0K3R5cGluZytoZXJlJnBsYWNlc19faWRfX2luPSZhZGRlZF9fZ3RlPSZzZWxsZXJfdHlwZT0mYXV0b19hZ2VudD0%3D&pos=19)
375k AED 2008 F430 (http://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/ferrari/other/2013/5/19/2008-ferrari-f430-spider-with-full-service-2-2/?back=ZHViYWkuZHViaXp6bGUuY29tL21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvZmVycmFyaS8%2FcHJpY2VfX2d0ZT0yMDAwMDAmcHJpY2VfX2x0ZT01MDAwMDAmeWVhcl9fZ3RlPTIwMDQmeWVhcl9fbHRlPTIwMTMma2lsb21ldGVyc19fZ3RlPSZraWxvbWV0ZXJzX19sdGU9JmtleXdvcmRzPSZpc19iYXNpY19zZWFyY2hfd2lkZ2V0PTAmaXNfc2VhcmNoPTEmcGxhY2VzX19pZF9faW49U3RhcnQrdHlwaW5nK2hlcmUmcGxhY2VzX19pZF9faW49JmFkZGVkX19ndGU9JnNlbGxlcl90eXBlPSZhdXRvX2FnZW50PQ%3D%3D&pos=13)
300k AED 2006 F430 (http://www.jamesedition.com/cars/ferrari/f430/f-430-for-sale-642900)
195k AED 2004 360 (http://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/ferrari/other/2013/5/23/2004-ferrari-360-modena-spider-with-brand--2-2/?back=ZHViYWkuZHViaXp6bGUuY29tL21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvZmVycmFyaS8%2Fb3Q9YXNjJm89Mw%3D%3D&pos=3) 290k AED 2000 360 (http://dubai.dubizzle.com/motors/used-cars/ferrari/other/2013/5/20/ferrari-360-f1-spider-low-milage-german-ow-2/?back=ZHViYWkuZHViaXp6bGUuY29tL21vdG9ycy91c2VkLWNhcnMvZmVycmFyaS8%2Fb3Q9YXNjJm89Mw%3D%3D&pos=7)

The old manual transmission 360's are lots of fun to drive, however the tip tronic system in the 360 isn't very nice to drive unless you're driving the car hard. This system was improved HUGE on the F430's and even better on a 458. I think the 430 is a much better car overall then the 360 (I perfer the looks of a 360 though). Ferrari's like to have pretty leaky engines from what I've seen, the only major down fall I really see with them is the complete nightmare of a "engine service" they need every 20,000-30,000kms. It was something like 80 hours of labour plus parts, that includes all new rad hoses, timing belts, belts, cam and crank seals, waterpump ect. You can imagine how pricey that gets. Think 20k+ and you're in the right ball park.

Also did a lot of brakes on 360's, and 430's, They're super, super easy to do. Probably easier to do then what you're driving now. However on almost every car I did the brakes on the rubber lines were distroyed and plugging up the brake system. So stainless lines was almost always used to replace factory lines. The Gallardo's were pretty good from what I can remember, we didn't actually have very many in the shop, the V12 stuff was a lot worse from what I seen. They even had typical lambo stuff though, electrical stuff that didn't work on a car that was 1-2 years old and 10,000kms on it. I really enjoyed driving the Ferrari's over the Lambo's but personal preference.

Thanks man! Great to know. I enjoy the styling on the old 360s as well and a proper manual would be fun. I should look into that more. I love the styling on Lambos which is the main reason I'd be leaning towards a Gallardo. Plus their exhaust note is :love:

davidI
05-23-2013, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by variable_x

If you buy new then depreciation will certainly make the loss exceed $15-20k/year.

That's why I'm looking at higher mileage. The price difference between a 5 year old car with 30k and a 6 year old car with 45k is negligable.

M.alex
07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
I feel I can offer real world feedback as I was a tech at ZR Auto a while ago. Lamborghini's that we saw were pretty problematic right from new. We'd have cars with 3,000-4,000kms on them from new with no start issues. Most Ferrari's I saw had minor or major oil leaks. Cam covers almost always leaked. Most Ferrari's in the shop were in for maintance, and almost all the Lambo's (besides for getting oil changes done) were in because they were broken. Engines, trannys, electrical issues ect.

That being said, there are always bad apples and good apples and they includes cheaper cars as-well. So we might not have seen any of the Lambo's or Ferrari's with no problems. So take it for what it is. However, when anything DID fail, it was big, big dollars. Long wait times and huge shop labour rates. If you think 2500 for one control arm that doesn't include bushings is affordable, a Ferrari is for you! We once had to replace the throw out bearing on a Ferrari 355, they no longer made that specific bearing so we had to order a new input shaft, fork and bearing.... $$$$$$$$$

bump 4 more lambo stories from your time at ZR :D

I keeping toying with buying a diablo roadster VT but I can't bring myself to pay for the upkeep :(

Diablo SVs seem pretty cheap - $100k at ZR auto for the yellow one. Hmmmm.

you&me
07-17-2013, 05:41 AM

bump 4 more lambo stories from your time at ZR :D

I keeping toying with buying a diablo roadster VT but I can't bring myself to pay for the upkeep :(

Diablo SVs seem pretty cheap - $100k at ZR auto for the yellow one. Hmmmm.

Do some searching on that particular Diablo and you'll find why it's nearly-sale proof.

That price on the SV isn't far off what nice Roadsters are really bringing.

Graham_A_M
07-17-2013, 09:20 AM
^ yeah, read my previous post on diablo's as well. Their not really worth it man, as nice as they are.

M.alex
07-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Do some searching on that particular Diablo and you'll find why it's nearly-sale proof.

That price on the SV isn't far off what nice Roadsters are really bringing.

How does one search on a particular diablo (beyond a carfax if you have the vin)? I tried some generic terms like 'yellow diablo calgary' and didn't find anything. I'm now curious what type of history it has :D

you&me
07-17-2013, 11:09 AM

How does one search on a particular diablo (beyond a carfax if you have the vin)? I tried some generic terms like 'yellow diablo calgary' and didn't find anything. I'm now curious what type of history it has :D

First page result googling "ZR Auto Diablo SV" -

http://www.talklambo.com/showthread.php?t=4495

Plenty more where that came from.

There are other SVs in Canada available for similar $$ with lower, verifiable kms... If you insist on a Diablo, look elsewhere.

M.alex
07-17-2013, 11:15 AM

First page result googling "ZR Auto Diablo SV" -

http://www.talklambo.com/showthread.php?t=4495

Plenty more where that came from.

There are other SVs in Canada available for similar $$ with lower, verifiable kms... If you insist on a Diablo, look elsewhere.

ah, yes, thank you. I hadn't thought of appending ZR infront of it, lol. Lot of good reading about that Diablo. I'll offer him $45,00 for it, haha

ercchry
07-17-2013, 11:25 AM
i love how its still rolled back, yet he is taking a bath on the car anyways :rofl:

sidewaysD
07-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Ferrari classic (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-84-POORMANS-FERRARI-1-OWNER-91-000KM-3-900OBO-MAINTAINED-W0QQAdIdZ504455288)

^^ cant beat this price on an exotic

No one in the UAE will know what hit them. cheap upkeep on this "exotic" might be hard to find parts in UAE.
:rofl:

M.alex
07-24-2013, 02:56 PM
*le sigh* every time I say f-it I'm going to buy a VT roadster then I read posts like this

http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f45/engine-running-one-bank-38185/

and it's back to ho'ing and hum'ing about a diablo

civic_stylez
07-25-2013, 09:37 AM
*le sigh* every time I say f-it I'm going to buy a VT roadster then I read posts like this

http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbforum/f45/engine-running-one-bank-38185/

and it's back to ho'ing and hum'ing about a diablo

Ive worked with several of the older Lambos and they are an amazing car but you really need to become a geek and know everything about those cars. You need to research your own part suppliers (new and used) and basically become a tech. Wiring on these cars is very difficult and this was obviously before Audi started getting the reliability of these cars up. Either that or become best friends with a good technician!!!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/hautsauz/Picture620.jpg (http://s68.photobucket.com/user/hautsauz/media/Picture620.jpg.html)

M.alex
07-25-2013, 10:21 AM

Ive worked with several of the older Lambos and they are an amazing car but you really need to become a geek and know everything about those cars. You need to research your own part suppliers (new and used) and basically become a tech. Wiring on these cars is very difficult and this was obviously before Audi started getting the reliability of these cars up. Either that or become best friends with a good technician!!!

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/hautsauz/Picture620.jpg (http://s68.photobucket.com/user/hautsauz/media/Picture620.jpg.html)

Ooooooo, such diablo-ness :drool:

Please tell me that car there was in because it required tens of thousands of dollars of work that was very aggravating to do? :D (so I can stop looking at it, hah! :nut: )

topsecret
07-25-2013, 10:50 AM

Please tell me that car there was in because it required tens of thousands of dollars of work that was very aggravating to do? :D (so I can stop looking at it, hah! :nut: )

This car is so nice in person!!! You should buy a Diablo, who knows maybe you will be lucky and not have to spend 20000/summer to drive it. haha

civic_stylez
07-25-2013, 11:54 AM

LOL!

Well the owner knows the value and importance of preventative maintenance so that particular pic was taken while it was in for general service. I do know of other diablos coming in with major electrical issues totalling many thousands though! (not to step on your dream hahah). A gallardo may be better suited for what you are after?? You can pick them up for a good price and they are more reliable now than they have ever been so maybe something to consider. I do have certain cars on a "never ever buy" list based on my years in the exotic industry but the diablo and gallardo wouldnt be on them if that helps.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/27962_388255426235_1366440_n.jpg

M.alex
07-25-2013, 12:45 PM

LOL!

Well the owner knows the value and importance of preventative maintenance so that particular pic was taken while it was in for general service. I do know of other diablos coming in with major electrical issues totalling many thousands though! (not to step on your dream hahah). A gallardo may be better suited for what you are after?? You can pick them up for a good price and they are more reliable now than they have ever been so maybe something to consider. I do have certain cars on a "never ever buy" list based on my years in the exotic industry but the diablo and gallardo wouldnt be on them if that helps.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/27962_388255426235_1366440_n.jpg

So nice :drool:

I wouldn't touch a gallardo with a 10ft pole - too pedestrian. Only an LP640 or a Diablo roadster for me. Unfortunately I can't bring myself to cough up the $$$ when I think about the servicing costs, and unfortuantely I don't have the time to research and play technician on a car I didn't build from scratch (since all the cars I build I obviously know inside and out and can diagnose and fix a problem very quickly and cheaply)

I guess kit cars have spoiled me - i expect to spend $125k and end up with a car that can out-accelerate/out-handle a Pagani and whose only maintenance consists of $60 worth of oil once a year :rofl:

Inzane
07-25-2013, 12:47 PM
I do have certain cars on a "never ever buy" list based on my years in the exotic industry

Just curious. Do Lotus Esprits fall on that list or not? (Mainly curious about the pre-V8 models)

civic_stylez
07-25-2013, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Inzane

Just curious. Do Lotus Esprits fall on that list or not? (Mainly curious about the pre-V8 models)

Lotus arent bad at all but parts are an absolute nightmare. Finding a tech that knows the ins and outs of them is also not an easy task.

www.davebean.com is one of the better (and i use that term loosely) sites for lotus parts but they are expensive and availability for the older esprits can be a bitch. The do know their stuff though.