PDA

View Full Version : Busy inner-city parking spots may soon cost more in Calgary

AG_Styles
05-22-2013, 05:53 PM
Didn't see this posted, so figured i'd paste it here.
Didn't hear about this too until now.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/05/22/calgary-parking-changes.html

A council committee has accepted a plan to base inner-city parking rates on how popular parking is on any given street.

The two-hour parking rates would also vary depending on the time of day.

The new Calgary Parking Authority system would see the most expensive on-street rates drop from $5 to $4.50 an hour, but go up by at least $0.25 in other places depending on how busy those zones are.

City officials say it's about being fair.

Maggie Schofield of the Calgary Downtown Association says she is pleased with the plan overall, but worried about how it will affect restaurants over the lunch hour.

"People are already upset that they're coming in and spending a fairly good dollar on lunch because we have very high-standard restaurants in the downtown core and then they're paying an additional number of dollars to park as well, so we're a little concerned that there may be a negative impact on the restaurants," she said.

eblend
05-22-2013, 06:11 PM
$.25 to $.50 is not going to break anyone and seems like a make work project for good publicity but 0 substance

Xtrema
05-22-2013, 10:37 PM
They stole my idea but applied to wrong type of parking. That is basically what I said need to be with p&r lots reserves and queues.

I agree that .25 cents isn't worth the trouble. Let's do dollar. +2 or -2 based on usage. They should already have utilization numbers out of parkplus already.