PDA

View Full Version : Placing an offer

KISS_ME
05-23-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm looking to pick up my first place so i'm hoping to get some input on how to put my offer in. I've found a place i'm interested in, city assessed the property at 388 500 but seller has it listed at 400k. I know it's not set in stone however do people generally offer below the city assessed price? Do houses in Calgary sell for below city assessed value or above?? I'm thinking of throwing in a 370k offer on the table, does that sound reasonable?? Any bargaining tips would be much appreciated

roopi
05-23-2013, 09:54 PM
1. Is it listed with a realtor or private sale?

2. If it is listed with an agent do you have a realtor?

City assessments at usually lower than market value.

dj_rice
05-23-2013, 09:58 PM
See what all the houses around that neighborhood are selling for and then adjust your price according to that and the upgrades inside.

If they are using a cheapo listing company like ComFree or etc, then go a little lower since they are saving on commission.

I'm just going by what Jordan Lotoski advice told me when I was looking at houses.

Weapon_R
05-23-2013, 10:39 PM
City assessments are irrelevant for determining value. Start off at 370 with room to move and see what happens. Worst they will do is decline or counter

masoncgy
05-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Offer what you want. The worst that can happen is they counter back at list or just ignore you completely.

At the end of the day, it's just a house and there are more than one of those available out there. Offer what you want to pay for it. If you can get it for a price you feel is reasonable, you win. If the price ends up being too high, walk away and find something else.

ExtraSlow
05-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
City assessments are irrelevant for determining value.
+1. City assessments are not a useful data point, disregard them.

Your realtor should be giving you an analysis of the market, the property, and guidance on the appropriate amount to offer. If your realtor isn't doing this, fire them immediatly, and send in the offer with a new realtor who is actually WORKING for you.

sunbot
05-27-2013, 08:57 PM
with any offer always include conditions such as subject to home inspection. and if your home inspector finds something...that will give you more wiggle room to negotiate with.

JordanLotoski
05-27-2013, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by roopi
1. Is it listed with a realtor or private sale?

2. If it is listed with an agent do you have a realtor?

City assessments at usually lower than market value.

PM me the property details, Ill take a looks

thinmyster
05-28-2013, 12:46 AM
We just purchased a house with Jordan. He more than exceeded our expectations. We told him what we were willing to pay on a house (below asking, below assesment and below comparibles) and in the end we came in at the very bottom of our budget. Highly recommended!

KISS_ME
05-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Jordan, just sent you message.

anyone have any details to coventry hills? someone told me that area floods?? true/false? any input on the area would be much appreciated.

403ep3
06-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Knocked off about 10k and got some stuff added on when I placed an offer on a house. Price was around 375. Offered 355 to start and negotiated to the price I wanted.

HomespunLobster
06-16-2013, 05:51 PM
I just offered what was somewhat in the area. They were asking 350, offered 330. And met in the middle at 340.

dj_rice
06-16-2013, 06:03 PM
My house I bought, listing went up Monday night. Tuesday evening I went to go see it. 5 other couples were outside waiting at the time. Listed at 349. 4 other offers on the table that night, including one at 360 but with financing conditions.

I went in at 355, no conditions except inspection. Settled for 356. Conditionally sold in 1 day. :nut:

403ep3
06-16-2013, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by HomespunLobster
I just offered what was somewhat in the area. They were asking 350, offered 330. And met in the middle at 340.

Originally posted by dj_rice
My house I bought, listing went up Monday night. Tuesday evening I went to go see it. 5 other couples were outside waiting at the time. Listed at 349. 4 other offers on the table that night, including one at 360 but with financing conditions.

I went in at 355, no conditions except inspection. Settled for 356.

Just curious because its around what I paid for.. got an MLS link? if you don't mind showing. PM me

HomespunLobster
06-16-2013, 06:23 PM
I'd list it, but it really doesn't matter. Walking through houses I found was the best. I went through 10 houses until I found this one. All priced the same.