PDA

View Full Version : Advice on replacing thermal paste in laptop

FixedGear
05-25-2013, 08:50 AM
I'm about to replace the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU in my Thinkpad. I used to build my desktops back in the day, but have never worked on a laptop. I've got a service manual for my machine, and have done some reading about how to do this on my machine. I have a couple of questions though:

1) Do I need a anti-static wristband? (I used to just touch the metal casing on my desktops.)

2) in videos, I often see guys working on laptops using some kind of towel on the workbench? Is this a special (anti-static?) towel, or can I just work on a wooden table?

3) any advice or suggested tutorials on replacing thermal paste?

DeleriousZ
05-25-2013, 09:10 AM
I usually just try and keep myself grounded to the laptop case to keep the potential voltage the same. I'll also plug the power cord into the laptop at the workstation before doing anything and then touch the case and unplug the power cable.

I think guys just use a towel so it doesn't mark up the case, I've done mine on wooden tables before.

Isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs and q-tips. Try and get the swabs that don't shed their fibres or whatever so you're not leaving anything behind. Clean all the old stuff with IPA and let it dry. Apply a small amount and spread it around (if you use your finger it might stain grey for a day or so.) Use a flat edge across the surface to even the paste out. There shouldn't be a whole lot left on there after you're done. From what I've learned and been told, the paste is only there to make up imperfections in the surfaces of the two things being sinked.

I'm not a pro but this method has worked for me for the 3 times i've repaired the gf's macbook pro, stupid thing.

FixedGear
05-25-2013, 05:17 PM
Thanks! I just finished and everything seems to be working great. Dropped my idle temp from 57 C to 46 C, and expect another 5 C reduction as the heat sink paste cures. :thumbsup:

now going to install a new 256 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, and 8 GB of ram. :thumbsup:

I was debating replacing this machine with a new T430, but after some consideration and consultation, I decided to just take care of the heat issues, and upgrade my drive and RAM. This is a fully-optioned, top of the line T400, and I expect it will last me another 1-2 years. And, these upgrades cost only about $300. :thumbsup:

DeleriousZ
05-25-2013, 06:46 PM
Glad to hear it went well!

FixedGear
05-25-2013, 08:27 PM
^^me too! :rofl: Not only was this my first time putting heat sink paste on a CPU, but also my first time working in a laptop! It went awesome until I had to spread the paste with a credit card, man that's tough and to be honest I was pretty stressed. I didn't do a perfect job, and I'm kinda surprised it worked so well haha!

I've done quite a lot of work on desktop machines, but man laptops are a different thing entirely!

firebane
05-25-2013, 09:55 PM
The towel was to simply prevent scratching the unit. Its extremely easy to scratch the casing on laptops these days.

When replacing thermal paste be aware that they will sometimes use thermal pads instead and using paste won't allow a proper contact as you won't be able to fill the gap with the paste and end up with a void.

FixedGear
05-25-2013, 10:23 PM
^ yea I'm pretty sure there was a pad on the south bridge. It was thicker and I was able to peel the whole thing off in a single layer. Anyhow, I just put paste on there and my temps are cooler...mom not even sure what a south bridge is, but I did read that they run cool anyhow. Oh well, guess ill see what happens lol

FixedGear
05-25-2013, 11:52 PM
Been doing some more reading, and running Prime 95 now. Will probably order a new thermal pad tomorrow, and repeat this entire process once that comes in LOL

FixedGear
05-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Ended up ordering some Fujipoly to replace that pad

Idiot Stick
05-27-2013, 04:22 AM
PM'd!

Also, are people actually using towels to keep the case from being scratched? Fuck, might as well do it on carpet! I can't imagine the risk of ESD by doing this work on a towel. If you're worried about scratches get an ESD mat and do the work on that. Assuming the mats large enough you could even put the components you remove on it too, which is a plus.

Though with the stuff you're doing, only a couple bezels have to come off and the heat sink...Not much stuff with a big risk of ESD damage unless you place the exposed systemboard face down on a carpet/towel.

Once the board is exposed, you shouldn't need to flip it back over. Only reason to have the top cover on the table is to remove the screws to take the bezels off. Not like you're removing the board completely.

firebane
05-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Idiot Stick
PM'd!

Also, are people actually using towels to keep the case from being scratched? Fuck, might as well do it on carpet! I can't imagine the risk of ESD by doing this work on a towel. If you're worried about scratches get an ESD mat and do the work on that. Assuming the mats large enough you could even put the components you remove on it too, which is a plus.

Though with the stuff you're doing, only a couple bezels have to come off and the heat sink...Not much stuff with a big risk of ESD damage unless you place the exposed systemboard face down on a carpet/towel.

Once the board is exposed, you shouldn't need to flip it back over. Only reason to have the top cover on the table is to remove the screws to take the bezels off. Not like you're removing the board completely.

Components are not near as sensitive to ESD as they once were. I've been doing this for over 20 years and never once have I used anything to prevent it. Working on desktops or laptops I always just touch something metal and ground myself out.

With some laptops yes you need to completely remove the board. I had a Compaq that I had to do this with.

FixedGear
05-27-2013, 12:52 PM
I'm just working on a Thinkpad T400, you do have to remove bezels, keyboard, and fan with heat sink, but don't actually have to remove the board so that's nice. I just touched metal to ground myself out.