PDA

View Full Version : need help finding specific dog breeder.

ekguy
05-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Looking for a red heeler. Would rather buy from a good breeder than a farm which ends up being where all the ones I can find are.

Have searched online quite a bit and can't seem to find any breeders in the area.

Any one know of any? It's quite a specific breed so might be hard to find.

CD007
05-25-2013, 03:40 PM
Adopt a dog...

nuff said.

Benny
05-25-2013, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by CD007
Adopt a dog...

Or, give me a heads up and I'll just take a puppy from the reserve for you. Though admittedly the notion of a pure breed goes out the window with rez dogs.

Fresh on the adoption block:

http://i.imgur.com/6Ehz7AHl.jpg

ekguy
05-25-2013, 04:14 PM
I would love to adopt. And I surely will in the future again as I have my cat. But I am really wanting this specific breed and would rather not buy from shady people or end up with a poorly or completely untrained dog.

I want to raise a puppy as this is my first dog. Had dogs growing up, but this is MY first dog.

Also easier to get a puppy used to my cat rather than introduce a fully grown dog.

I may still end up getting a dog from a farm.

D. Dub
05-25-2013, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Looking for a red heeler. .

Do you mean an Australian Cattle Dog?

dubhead
05-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Try contacting the Alberta Kennel Club they should be able to point you in the right direction.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-25-2013, 05:22 PM
I grew up with a red heeler/aussie cattle dog. My little red dingo. I found lots of them for adoption from agencies all over alberta. A bit harder to find a farm breed like that in a full breeder scenario.

You might have better luck with a blue heeler. Or go boarder collie like I ended up rescuing from butfuck lloydminster.

AndyL
05-25-2013, 05:27 PM
But red heelers are working dogs... their natural environment will be on a farm. The best breeders will be found on farms where they're worked and assessed before being bred - you cant really do that in the city.

farms with working dogs spend ridiculous $ on their dogs - no different than buying a 8 wheel john deere even though the chinese knockoff is 1/2 price... if you want the best blood lines, thats where you will find them...

:dunno:

tirebob
05-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Awesome dogs for sure, but the usual cautions go out to the time and effort required with a working breed like this. They need constant attention and exercise and will not do well if left alone to their own devices for long periods of time daily, especially in the beginning years. You may very well aware and prepared, but still a caution never hurts...

D. Dub
05-25-2013, 05:53 PM
Good points tirebob. I have a cattle cog cross and they have a super strong prey drive, can be dog aggressive, can be barky and nippy as that's how they herd. They also have unbelievable amounts of energy. My guy is 10 and still gets squirrely if he does't get out and run regularly.

tirebob
05-25-2013, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
Good points tirebob. I have a cattle cog cross and they have a super strong prey drive, can be dog aggressive, can be barky and nippy as that's how they herd. They also have unbelievable amounts of energy. My guy is 10 and still gets squirrely if he does't get out and run regularly. Not gonna lie... It's is why I love my Newf! She is almost as lazy as I am and doesn't need to be burned out of energy constantly... lol!

zipdoa
05-25-2013, 08:30 PM
Cool breed. Good luck finding one!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cc/ACD-blue-spud.jpg/750px-ACD-blue-spud.jpg

ekguy
05-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
But red heelers are working dogs... their natural environment will be on a farm. The best breeders will be found on farms where they're worked and assessed before being bred - you cant really do that in the city.

farms with working dogs spend ridiculous $ on their dogs - no different than buying a 8 wheel john deere even though the chinese knockoff is 1/2 price... if you want the best blood lines, thats where you will find them...

:dunno:

thank you so much for this info. My friend has one and the temperament is exactly what I am looking for in a dog. With me it will get all the exercise it needs guaranteed as I run and bike alot.

Never thought of it that way though about the farms. Probably why so many if not all come from farms.

Now that I know this I can confidently go forward with this. Have everything set to get a dog just waiting till after my trip home to get one.

ekguy
05-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
Awesome dogs for sure, but the usual cautions go out to the time and effort required with a working breed like this. They need constant attention and exercise and will not do well if left alone to their own devices for long periods of time daily, especially in the beginning years. You may very well aware and prepared, but still a caution never hurts...

he'll have company during the day :D

nizmo will keep him busy hahaha.

Tej.S
05-25-2013, 10:06 PM
I saw of these breeds at a local dog park a few days ago. They seem like an awesome breed and I could definitely point out the herding instinct in the dog. Not to mention that it's also quick as hell! Gave my lab a good work out :D

ercchry
05-26-2013, 03:22 AM
seriously... adopt.

mutts are awesome. unless you are a pompous asshole... or have an actual need for a working dog there is no reason NOT to adopt a mix breed.

so many abused rez dogs in alberta its insane. if you want a puppy? you can get a puppy.

our dog's mother was the rescued dog and she gave birth after the rescue. our dog was with her mother in a foster home for 3 months before we adopted her, no excuse not to.

just because one dog of a certain breed is "great" doesn't guarantee that your dog will be. thats just ridiculous... its going to come down to the way you raise it.

there are over 3600 Australian cattle dogs that need adopting on pet finder alone.

http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?pet_breed=Australian+Cattle+Dog+%28Blue+Heeler%29&animal_type=Dog&location=calgary%2C+ab

ps: herding dog vs cat? lol... i give you a 85.47% chance at piss stained carpets. and a 23.43% chance that after 6 months you give up one of the animals cause they dont get along.

great thing about rescues is that you can take them on a trial basis and make sure your old and new pets will actually get along.

checkout this one

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24774642

brucebanner
05-26-2013, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by ercchry
seriously... adopt.

great thing about rescues is that you can take them on a trial basis and make sure your old and new pets will actually get along.

checkout this one

You're terrible! I didn't know that site existed, and I just finished doing some poking around to see what they have available. I reaaaaalllly want a dog but knowing with my work schedule I can't, just looking makes me want one so much more haha.

Great option though, should seriously take a look at that ek!

ekguy
05-26-2013, 10:37 AM
My cat will be fine with a dog as he's been around them for 11 of the last 12 years. Lived with Rottweilers, Pitbulls, poodles and labs. He's going to be fine, raising a dog from a puppy around him will be easy.

If anything i'll be worried about the dog since my cat will be bigger than it for almost a year. My cat weighs 28 pounds and goes to my knees on all fours, my buddy's red heeler is maybe 45 pounds at the most.

So I predict nizmo will be the boss for quite a while :D

And I realize it will depend on how i raise the dog, hence why i want a puppy. Not adopting this dog doesn't make me a bad pet owner either as I have adopted in the past and will again in the future. There is nothing wrong with wanting a certain breed and getting that breed from a breeder/farm/etc.

dubhead
05-26-2013, 10:43 AM
Not adopting this dog doesn't make me a bad pet owner either as I have adopted in the past and will again in the future. There is nothing wrong with wanting a certain breed and getting that breed from a breeder/farm/etc.

+1

AE92_TreunoSC
05-26-2013, 11:42 AM
I don't blame anyone for what they chose. As long as they stand by it.

The Cleo dog is super f'n cute though :love:

ekguy
05-26-2013, 12:39 PM
for me this is the first time having a dog since moving out on my own without room mates or family. Been on my own for a few years and now im ready to have a dog so my cat can have some company for his later years as he's getting older.

since it's MY first dog I want to do it right and raise one from a puppy. Since I'm an animal lover and I hate kids I know I will always have animals and will always avoid having kids so the potential for many adoptions is simply a reality of what will happen in the future. but for my first dog I will not be.

this is hands down the breed I want and am super excited to grow my little family by one member. it'll be nice to have a dog that can keep up to me on my bike as well!!!

:D

jsn
05-26-2013, 01:16 PM
seriously... adopt.

mutts are awesome. unless you are a pompous asshole... or have an actual need for a working dog there is no reason NOT to adopt a mix breed.

so many abused rez dogs in alberta its insane. if you want a puppy? you can get a puppy.
[...]

I don't understand why everyone's giving him so much shit for wanting a specific breed. Do you walk around at dog parks telling people with pure breds that they should have adopted instead? I agree that muts can be great and my dog is an adopted rescue dog, but just because mine turned out great doesn't mean they all do. Alot of rescue dogs can be very problematic and hard to train. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a specific breed and I don't understand the attitude people get when they're not adopting a dog. At the end of the day, they're the ones who are going to be taking care of it day after day, year after year, so stop telling him what dog he should or shouldn't get.

OP, good luck with finding that breed. Alot of the special work breeds are really rare and hard to find. I know a co-worker of mine has been looking for a specific hunting dog and there was only one breeder in Canada that breeds them. He had to go through quite a few interviews just to get on the waiting list with them.

ekguy
05-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by jsn

I don't understand why everyone's giving him so much shit for wanting a specific breed. Do you walk around at dog parks telling people with pure breds that they should have adopted instead? I agree that muts can be great and my dog is an adopted rescue dog, but just because mine turned out great doesn't mean they all do. Alot of rescue dogs can be very problematic and hard to train. There's absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a specific breed and I don't understand the attitude people get when they're not adopting a dog. At the end of the day, they're the ones who are going to be taking care of it day after day, year after year, so stop telling him what dog he should or shouldn't get.

OP, good luck with finding that breed. Alot of the special work breeds are really rare and hard to find. I know a co-worker of mine has been looking for a specific hunting dog and there was only one breeder in Canada that breeds them. He had to go through quite a few interviews just to get on the waiting list with them.

well after posting this thread I feel confident in getting one off a farm. That is where my buddy got his. I should be able to find one as many are always available when I look online.

austic
05-26-2013, 04:14 PM
http://www.acdcc.org/breeders.html

here is the canadian club link. Has a listing of the clubs breeders that are held to the code of conduct for ethical breeding by membership.

D. Dub
05-26-2013, 06:07 PM

well after posting this thread I feel confident in getting one off a farm. That is where my buddy got his. I should be able to find one as many are always available when I look online.

Unfortunately "farm dogs" are often poorly bred without concern for breeding out genetic flaws.

cancer man
05-26-2013, 07:25 PM
I hope you have a big yard.The first 3 years will make you or break you and get ready for the barking.I swear to god they have ADD.

AndyL
05-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Unfortunately "farm dogs" are often poorly bred without concern for breeding out genetic flaws.

thats not what I've found, with the toy breeds perhaps, but farmers take their working dogs very seriously.

D. Dub
05-26-2013, 08:26 PM
^^^

I grew up on a farm/ranch and really -- having a dog bred on a farm often means fuck all.

Some farmers breed for the hell of it just to make money -- and it's a lot easier to make money breeding "unregistered" purebred dogs that don't need specific genetic testing etc.

Another issue with the herding breeds is that there is often a huge distinction in price, health quality and behaviour between working dog lines and show dog lines, regardless of registration.

I just hope the OP does a little more research about what he's doing -- because Aussie Cattle Dogs can be quite dog and people aggressive, loud, headstrong, dominant, super high energy and destructive. These dogs need an hour + of exercise daily just to be able to live with them. Like I mentioned before I have a 10 year old that still needs significant daily exercise or he gets psycho.

ekguy
05-28-2013, 06:38 PM
^^^

I grew up on a farm/ranch and really -- having a dog bred on a farm often means fuck all.

Some farmers breed for the hell of it just to make money -- and it's a lot easier to make money breeding "unregistered" purebred dogs that don't need specific genetic testing etc.

Another issue with the herding breeds is that there is often a huge distinction in price, health quality and behaviour between working dog lines and show dog lines, regardless of registration.

I just hope the OP does a little more research about what he's doing -- because Aussie Cattle Dogs can be quite dog and people aggressive, loud, headstrong, dominant, super high energy and destructive. These dogs need an hour + of exercise daily just to be able to live with them. Like I mentioned before I have a 10 year old that still needs significant daily exercise or he gets psycho.

i have a friend with one and am quite aware of the temperament and exercise necessities, this is the main reason I want this specific breed, as I am outside most nights running or biking. Coupled with the looks and size of the breed it will be a great fit for my lifestyle and for it as well.

Since I am not buying until I find a house I still have a few months to read up as much as I can on them as well. This will not be taken lightly and done half assed. I am putting alot of time into doing this right as it will be my first dog other than the ones I had growing up with family.

D. Dub
05-28-2013, 08:07 PM
Good luck in your search.

ekguy
05-28-2013, 09:44 PM
this is my buddy's dog. Definitely an adorable but energetic dog.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/942673_10151962645472785_2068662551_n_zpsffc2829c.jpg (http://s68.photobucket.com/user/Gravy_83/media/942673_10151962645472785_2068662551_n_zpsffc2829c.jpg.html)

D. Dub
05-28-2013, 09:53 PM
BTW there was a lady out by Water Valley-Sundre that had a private rescue that rescued lots of ACD's -- not a clue about the name etc.

D. Dub
05-28-2013, 10:00 PM
this is my buddy's dog. Definitely an adorable but energetic dog.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i34/Gravy_83/942673_10151962645472785_2068662551_n_zpsffc2829c.jpg (http://s68.photobucket.com/user/Gravy_83/media/942673_10151962645472785_2068662551_n_zpsffc2829c.jpg.html)

Cool doogie!!!! But that kinda looks like it may not be a purebred Cattle dog? maybe it's some kinda mix?

ekguy
05-28-2013, 10:23 PM
border collie mix. She's some wild haha. from a dead stop she'll catch a frisbee toss 200 feet away.

D. Dub
05-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Cool doogie. Mine is 10 and still going strong. Here he is during a 17 km, 1000 meter elevation gain hike last summer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v356/Gazoo77/309999_10151424245977247_710511248_n.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Gazoo77/media/309999_10151424245977247_710511248_n.jpg.html)

bignerd
05-28-2013, 10:48 PM
ps: herding dog vs cat? lol... i give you a 85.47% chance at piss stained carpets. and a 23.43% chance that after 6 months you give up one of the animals cause they dont get along.

I have 2 herding dogs and have several others live with me, no issues with the cats. Now if your cat is outside and runs, its fair game. But they get along fine with their "own" cats.

For OP:

Australian Cattle Dog Club of Canada (http://www.acdcc.org/breeders.html)

This club could probably point you in the right direction. A reputable breeder should also be able to pick out a puppy for you with the temperament and drive that works best with you as well.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-28-2013, 10:52 PM
My little boarder collie HATES other herders. It's the eye contact. ESPECIALLY aussie shappards, not the cattle dogs.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rC9hwuXnkac/TxhJ9PCiC2I/AAAAAAAAAEE/mEVmHb9f9tQ/s1600/australian_shepherd_blue_eyes_08.jpg

bignerd
05-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
My little boarder collie HATES other herders. It's the eye contact. ESPECIALLY aussie shappards, not the cattle dogs.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-rC9hwuXnkac/TxhJ9PCiC2I/AAAAAAAAAEE/mEVmHb9f9tQ/s1600/australian_shepherd_blue_eyes_08.jpg

Interesting that you say it is the eye contact. Border Collies have a lot more "eye" than Aussies, Australian Shepherds herd more with their physical body and presence and tend not to use their gaze/stare to move stock, versus a BC that herds from afar with a strong eye. However, an Aussie with blue/light colored eyes could probably be perceived by another dog as being more intense/aggressive.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-28-2013, 11:22 PM
He has problems with boarder collies too, but they break the contact quicker than an Aussie.

I really love the herding stare. Shows how fiercely concentrated they can get. My Red Healer used to do it to small children haha.