PDA

View Full Version : Parental time control software

frozenrice
05-25-2013, 07:17 PM
I've done some looking around, but I'm looking for first hand experience from anyone that has used parental time control software on their home computers.
Our two boys are driving us nuts right now, fighting for computer time and abusing their time limitations as far as sharing the computer.
This has been a ongoing battle with them to get them to stop when they're supposed to so that they can get other stuff done like eat supper, do homework or getting ready for bed. Ends up in arguing and yelling and the occasional smack across the back of the head to get them to comply. I figure by installing some time control software, they can't argue with the computer ;) LOL

I've come across two that look promising:

KidsWatch (http://www.kidswatch.com/Time-Limit-Controls.php)

Computer Time Limiter (http://download.cnet.com/Computer-Time-Limiter/3000-27064_4-75328357.html)

The first one looks like it has a lot of features, but I can't seem to find any real reviews of it.
Second one is a least on cnet, which usually is legit, but again no real solid reviews.

I'd like to hear what some of you have tried for alternatives to above.

speedog
05-25-2013, 07:32 PM
Be a parent, take charge?

spikerS
05-25-2013, 07:43 PM
Most routers have built in parental controls in them now. I know I used them before to limit what hours of the day specific computers has internet access. I imagine it would be similar to set up for what you are looking for as well.

I know TELUS has them in their routers / modems, not sure about shaw.

speedog
05-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Problem is that router controls won't do diddly if it's just local games and stuff that the kids are playing with on the computer(s).

BTW frozenrice, I wasn't being a dick above, just was stating my initial thoughts on the matter - it's tough to be tough and some time control software will most likely just shift your kid's issues elsewhere. If a kid is going to battle a parent over one thing and that thing is restricted or taken away, then chances are pretty good that that kid will find something else to create a battle over - every decent parent will experience this, it's a part of becoming a better parent and at the same time, raising some spawn to become decent and hopefully well adjusted young adults.

GTS4tw
05-25-2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ostrich-Feather-Duster-Handle/dp/B003YE63LE/ref=sr_1_18?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1369534003&sr=1-18

revelations
05-25-2013, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Ostrich-Feather-Duster-Handle/dp/B003YE63LE/ref=sr_1_18?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1369534003&sr=1-18

http://traditions.cultural-china.com/chinaWH/upload/upfiles/2009-05/15/great_knowledge_in_small_feather_dusters750c57683254da31108f.jpg

frozenrice
05-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by speedog
P BTW frozenrice, I wasn't being a dick above, just was stating my initial thoughts on the matter - it's tough to be tough and some time control software will most likely just shift your kid's issues elsewhere. If a kid is going to battle a parent over one thing and that thing is restricted or taken away, then chances are pretty good that that kid will find something else to create a battle over - every decent parent will experience this, it's a part of becoming a better parent and at the same time, raising some spawn to become decent and hopefully well adjusted young adults.

No offense taken. I know what that's all about. It's just an added level of "control" that I want to put in place. I'm looking more or less for something that will log them off after an hours use or something like that. Once they're logged off, they can't argue. I've already put in restrictions for the times of the day that they're allowed on and they've actually adjusted quite well to that.

We've noticed that the more time they spend on electronics, the more pissy they are. Take away those privileges, they usually find other things to do, like play with their actual toys or go outside. They become more civilized.

I have a real bad temper sometimes and I've often (more than I should admit) had to manhandle them to their room when they abused their computer rights. I'm afraid one day, if they push me too hard I might go overboard. One of the issues that lights my fuse real easily is this exact issue. No matter how many times I tell them the expectations, they get pissy about it and I lose it......I've had enough.

:rofl: at the feather duster......I don't have one of those but something comparable ;)

sunbot
05-27-2013, 08:34 PM
no need to spend money on something that comes out of the box with windows 7 (not sure about older windows) you just have to set up non admin users for your kids then you can set up times these new users allowed to log in and for how long. you can also block them from using programs and some other stuff. its not fancy but should do the trick.

FraserB
05-27-2013, 09:03 PM
89coupe should be able to point you in the right direction

:D

frozenrice
05-27-2013, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by sunbot
no need to spend money on something that comes out of the box with windows 7 (not sure about older windows) you just have to set up non admin users for your kids then you can set up times these new users allowed to log in and for how long. you can also block them from using programs and some other stuff. its not fancy but should do the trick.

I already use that, but from what I can see (or rather not see), I don't think it allows you to set a maximum of 1 hour time slots. I don't care when they are on, but it'd be nice to force them to take a break to do other stuff.

WhippWhapp
05-28-2013, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by frozenrice

I already use that, but from what I can see (or rather not see), I don't think it allows you to set a maximum of 1 hour time slots. I don't care when they are on, but it'd be nice to force them to take a break to do other stuff.

Win8 has time allowances and curfew built in.

revelations
05-28-2013, 12:26 AM
As much as I loathe Norton, it does offer software for time allowances... and the base software is free.

https://onlinefamily.norton.com/familysafety/basicpremium.fs

sputnik
05-28-2013, 06:24 AM
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-security/parental-control-time-limit-question/98543dfa-783b-4ae8-b464-c274bce895ec

You may follow the given steps to set the parental control on a standard user.

1. Make sure you are logged in as the administrator of the computer.
2. Press the Start and click Control Panel.
3. Under User Accounts and Family Safety, click set up parental controls for any user.
4. If prompted, (type your password and) select Continue.
5. Click the account you want to add parental controls.
6. Click on Time limits.
7. Block out the time you don’t want the account to be able to login.
8. Press Ok.

revelations
05-28-2013, 12:03 PM
^ as OP stated, he doesent care WHEN the kids are on, just HOW LONG ...