PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion

SwitchBlade
02-20-2004, 01:00 PM
I was looking at buying a scorpion from petland i talked to one of the employees and he gave me a good amount of information. I was wondering if anyone has had any experiece taking care of one of these animals. What was the good and what was the bad.

ramminghard
02-20-2004, 01:06 PM
they are boring as hell

MenteL
02-20-2004, 02:42 PM
emporer scorpions!! they rule

Weapon_R
02-20-2004, 02:47 PM
After the initial excitement of looking at it wears off (5-15 mins), what are you supposed to do with it? Play with it? Scorpions are mean fucking things. I was stung by one a year ago and did nothing to provoke it - most other insects leave you alone if you dont bother them.

ApexDrift
02-20-2004, 02:59 PM
boring as hell is right.... thier cool when they eat but other then that they suck big time!... i had one when i was a kid and i fed it and everything then one day it just dried up and died, it turned into a rasin with a shell...:thumbsdow

rc2002
02-20-2004, 03:01 PM
Weapon_R you're still alive?!?! I thought Scorpion bites were fatal!

sputnik
02-20-2004, 03:04 PM
piranhas and oscars make for fun pets... especially at feeding time

Weapon_R
02-20-2004, 03:06 PM
I got stung by one of these, which isn't as fatal as those black ones you see in the pet store. It was pretty small. I think the initial shock was so great that I didn't even realize how much pain I was in (you do realize it after), but did you know that scorpion venom is black?

TalonVelocity
02-20-2004, 03:30 PM
pussy ;)

method
02-20-2004, 03:57 PM
get a dog fool :thumbsup:

or a turtle.. my turtle is entertaining.

Melinda
02-20-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by method
get a dog fool :thumbsup:

or a turtle.. my turtle is entertaining.
You cant buy turtles in alberta anymore

method
02-20-2004, 07:58 PM
not even tortoises?

mine's 15 years old sooo... lol

thich
02-20-2004, 10:45 PM
turtles are illegal b/c of health issues rite?

get koi and build a koi pond :)

SwitchBlade
02-20-2004, 10:47 PM
If i wanted a fish id throw them in my pool. I thought a scorpion would be a sweet pet. Sure you cant play with it but you cant play with fish either. I think the big downside would be the noisy ass crickets.

Khyron
02-20-2004, 11:32 PM
It's illegal to SELL the turtles. Pet stores will often GIVE you a turtle, if you buy the tank and rocks and stuff.

Get a tarantula - a buddy in school had one and it crawled all over him and let him pet it. I was too puss to hold it cause one of his friends got chomped. (They are not poisonous but they have big ass teeth).

Scorpions are not normally fatal to adults unless you are stung lots (ie, putting your feet in shoes that have a scorp inside), but the smaller the scorp and the more streamlined the tail, the stronger the poison. Those big fuckers (rat sized) with the big knoby tails are hardly poisonous at all, while the little guys with almost straight tails will make you sick as hell.

When I was on the bus coming home from school one day, some kid had an ice cream pail with holes in it - so of course I asked what it was. He lifted the lid a bit and then I heard the loudest rattling noise - bastard had caught a rattlesnake was was taking it home. :eek:

Khyron

Wildcat
02-20-2004, 11:51 PM
isnt the venom from scropions and tarantulas removed? i thought pet stores did that. it makes sense... the venom could be sold and used to process antivenoms :dunno:

Zephyr
02-20-2004, 11:52 PM
whatever happened to having dogs or cats or fish for pets these days? now i see ppl with random crap for pets now...

SwitchBlade
02-20-2004, 11:58 PM
i was told the venom is slighltly more potent than a bee sting and is nothing to worry about.

Khyron
02-21-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Wildcat
isnt the venom from scropions and tarantulas removed? i thought pet stores did that. it makes sense... the venom could be sold and used to process antivenoms :dunno:

Tarantula bite is like a bee sting - if you are alergic, you're fucked, but otherwise it's nothing to worry about. But their huge teeth rip rather than cut so the effect is more shock than anything else. I know I'd shit bricks if a goddam tarantula bit me in the face.

Khyron

civic_stylez
02-21-2004, 12:28 AM
you can tell how poisionous a scorpion is by the size of its front pincers..the smaller the pincer (claw) the more dangerous they are..scorpions with large pincers dont need dangerous venom because they can hold their prey with them.. little scorpions need more potent venom to kill their prey faster because their claws are too small... thats your crocodile hunter lesson of the day...CRIKEY!!!!!!:thumbsup:

3G
02-21-2004, 12:51 AM
My dad was bit by one of those mofo's :eek: :eek:

sexualbanana
02-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ApexDrift
.... thier cool when they eat but other then that they suck big time!...

UNLEASH THE FURY!!!

403Gemini
02-21-2004, 07:10 PM
i want a gecko :thumbsup:

method
02-21-2004, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
i want a gecko :thumbsup:

I had two...

little ones = short lifespan lol.