PDA

View Full Version : Collector Car Insurance

strawberrydouch
05-26-2013, 09:29 PM
Alright, after 5 years of on and off hard work, my El Camino is now roadworthy.
It's been insured under my dad on a Collector Car policy since we picked it up.
The car got it's 5 year appraisal as required by the collector car policy last week and I was informed I can't get my own collector car policy until i'm 25 :(. :eek:
Does anyone know of some loopholes that would enable me to insure the car at the agreed value for a reasonable rate?
*Insurance Guru dude help a brother out!*
Thanks in advance guys!

FraserB
05-26-2013, 09:35 PM
Just have it on parking insurance? Or does it need to be driven?

M.alex
05-26-2013, 09:44 PM
Competition Insurance?

There weren't any loopholes for me - they wouldn't give me a policy until I was 25 either on any of my cars.

Masked Bandit
05-27-2013, 07:46 AM
We may actually have a solution for you. Shoot me a PM and we'll chat.

strawberrydouch
05-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by FraserB
Just have it on parking insurance? Or does it need to be driven?

I guess that's an if all else fails option, but I'd like to drive it if possible lol

Originally posted by M.alex
Competition Insurance?

There weren't any loopholes for me - they wouldn't give me a policy until I was 25 either on any of my cars.

Yessir! That's the company. This seems to be the clause made by most insurance companies. I'm just not ready to give up yet.

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
We may actually have a solution for you. Shoot me a PM and we'll chat.

Thank you sir! PM'd

LSChevelle
05-27-2013, 05:17 PM
I have the same problem. There is a clause in the collector insurance that says you can't even drive a car with collector insurance if you are under 25. My solution was to insure both my vehicles through TD Insurance, they gave me a pretty good price.

That.Guy.S30
05-27-2013, 10:17 PM
Why don't you guys just get full coverage? I didn't put my S30 on collectors, I actually want to drive it.

LSChevelle
05-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Well mostly because of how expensive it is. My accident is off the record now but back when I had it my insurance was 3500/year with collision.

Where as my parents have classic car insurance and they pay around 300 a year for full coverage. I think it is a 10000km limit, but nobody ever asks for millage so not sure any questions would be asked.

M.alex
05-28-2013, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by That.Guy.S30
Why don't you guys just get full coverage? I didn't put my S30 on collectors, I actually want to drive it.

Way cheaper (e.g., $100k coverage for something like $800/yr) and in the case of my cars my regular policy wouldn't touch them with a 10ft pole