PDA

View Full Version : Rolling BMW X5

ganesh
05-27-2013, 03:24 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/05/24/bc-rollawayvehicle.html

A BMW customer fears his brand-new leased vehicle could injure or kill someone, all by itself. He says the 2012 X5's transmission came unlocked from the park position twice, causing the vehicle to roll away with no one in it.

“The BMW is not supposed to be a rolling machine. It’s a driving machine,” said Adriano Persi, of Hamilton. “I have a rolling machine that goes whenever it wants to go.”
Persi says his BMW was damaged after it rolled away on its own while the transmission was in park. Persi says his BMW was damaged after it rolled away on its own while the transmission was in park. (Submitted by Adriano Persi)

The incidents were caught on tape, by Persi’s home surveillance camera, which is pointed at his driveway.

“The vehicle wasn't slipping … it was actually rolling on all four tires,” said Persi. “It was very fortuitous that I had video surveillance and I was actually able to record the events. Otherwise I would have been just another person who thought I did something wrong.”

On both occasions, Persi had left the newly leased vehicle in park, locked and with the ignition off. He was inside his house when the vehicle later rolled away on its own.

The first time, his surveillance camera recorded the SUV rolling only a few metres, then stopping. The next time — in the middle of the night — it rolled out of the driveway, across the street and down an embankment, hitting trees before it stopped.

“I think the vehicle is unreliable. I think the vehicle is unsafe,” he said.
Previous recall

Persi then discovered that BMW recalled six X5 models in the U.S. — made in 2011 — because of a defect that could cause those vehicles to roll away when parked. The recall notice in January 2012 said the “engagement of the parking lock may not occur even if the ‘P’ position has been displayed.”

It then stated, “If the driver believes that the transmission is in park … the vehicle could roll away after exiting the vehicle increasing the risk of a crash or injury.”

Persi took the damaged leased vehicle back to Budd’s BMW in Oakville and asked for a replacement.
Submit your story ideas:

“I don’t want it back," said Persi. "I don't think I should play Russian roulette with myself, my family or the public safety. What would have happened when it did roll those two times if there was a child behind or another vehicle behind it and it was crushed?”

Budd’s BMW inspected the unit, including the transmission parking lock mechanism, and told Persi it found nothing wrong. However, an independent appraiser working for Persi’s insurance company concluded the parking lock system had failed.

“It appears…the BMW service office has expressed little interest in investigating this matter beyond the service inspection carried out by Budd’s BMW and, in our opinion, this creates a potential serious future hazard,” reads the inspection report from Niagara Appraisal Services.
BMW response

The dealership didn’t return calls from Go Public about this case. BMW Canada told us it believes the vehicle is safe. It also suggested Persi should have used the parking brake, especially while the vehicle was parked on his driveway, which is on a slight incline.

“[We] are satisfied that all components were found to be functioning perfectly, and the vehicle to be performing safely,” said BMW Canada spokesman Robert Dexter, in an email.
Budd's BMW in Oakville, Ont., says its inspection of the vehicle found nothing wrong. Budd's BMW in Oakville, Ont., says its inspection of the vehicle found nothing wrong. (CBC)

“Our vehicles are safe to park with the transmission in the “park” mode, however in conditions including an incline or decline and/or slippery surfaces, we recommend engaging the parking brake, as referenced in all BMW Owner’s Manuals.”

The Automobile Protection Association said BMW is legally responsible for ensuring its automatic transmission park lock works safely, regardless of whether the owner uses the parking brake. Director George Iny added that many drivers with automatic transmission vehicles don't use the parking brake regularly.

“When there is a safety problem the car maker is actually responsible for the vehicle,” said Iny. “It is very good practice to apply both the brake and put your automatic transmission in park. The car maker is still answerable under our safety legislation if one of those two systems isn’t working.”
Dangers well known

Iny pointed out there have been many recalls over the years for defects causing rollaway problems, with various types of vehicles. Widespread rollaway problems with Fords in the 1980s, for example, caused numerous injuries and several deaths.

“The larger public policy issue — the one dealing with the safety aspects — is still there,” said Iny. “Two occurrences [with Persi’s BMW] and existing similar recalls with their vehicles do raise an issue with a broader safety issue.”
BMW Canada has refused to replace Persi's vehicle, suggesting he should use the parking brake while his vehicle is in his driveway. BMW Canada has refused to replace Persi's vehicle, suggesting he should use the parking brake while his vehicle is in his driveway. (CBC)

Persi reported the incidents to Transport Canada, which told Go Public it is still investigating.

"Transport Canada’s defect investigations section is currently in discussions with the manufacturer regarding the technical operation of the vehicle’s rear differential to try to better understand this incident. The department is not aware of any similar occurrences in Canada."

It also said it wants "to take this opportunity to remind Canadian motorists to read the vehicle’s operating manual and follow the instructions as they relate to applying the parking brake."

The insurance company has determined Persi was not at fault for the vehicle damage caused by the second rollaway incident and has issued a cheque to cover the damage.

However, Persi is refusing to authorize the repairs and said he will not take the vehicle back, on principle.

“I don’t want money. I don’t want anything else. The vehicle is not safe for me — and it’s not safe to be on the road,” said Persi. “I have hit dead-end after dead-end and to be quite frank I am completely perplexed.”

clem24
05-27-2013, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by ganesh
“I have hit dead-end after dead-end and to be quite frank I am completely perplexed.”

Perplexed? Use the parking brake!

I do agree - if there is a defect, it needs to be fixed; sucks to be him. But perplexed? The answer was referenced a billion times in the article..

KRyn
05-27-2013, 03:37 PM
How can BMW Canada claim the car is fine when it obviously isn't and there are on going recalls in the USA?

I couldn't imagine waking up to find your automatic car had reversed its self into a tree while you were sleeping. :rofl:

ganesh
05-27-2013, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
How can BMW Canada claim the car is fine when it obviously isn't and there are on going recalls in the USA?

I couldn't imagine waking up to find your automatic car had reversed its self into a tree while you were sleeping. :rofl:

I agree. I have no idea how BMW CA can get away with it. But then again I am not surprised in all my dealings with them they are just there to take your money and not wanting to do any thing with customer after that.

Stewjoe
05-27-2013, 04:57 PM
My work truck (04 dodge) will sometimes display it is in drive/neutral or another gear but the shifter has not been fully engaged. I would suspect that is the case here.

XXXXXX
05-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Weird how it rolls away after its been sitting. Even if it doesn't show the correct gear position, you would notice it not in park the second you let off the brake.. But the car holds itself for awhile then drops out of gear and rolls.. :dunno:

snowcat
05-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Something doesn't add up. Either his car is actually fucked or he's an idiot.

Let's say I stop my car, leave it in drive and no parking brake.

I open the cars door, and then remove my seatbelt. The SECOND I remove my seat belt it puts itself in park AND puts the electronic parking brake on as well.

FraserB
05-27-2013, 08:59 PM
There is a recall out for the WK Grand Cherokees and XK Commanders for something similar to this.

InRich
05-27-2013, 11:39 PM
My driveways on an incline... I ALWAYS use the E-break on my x5 when im parking on it. common sense. I highly doubt the car is moving around when its on a normal incline.

AE92_TreunoSC
05-27-2013, 11:51 PM
Although I agree the ebrake is the answer, cars for the last 70 years can be left in park on a 30 degree grade without issue. Why is a high end German wagon failing a very fundamental part of an automatic gear box.

XXXXXX
05-28-2013, 12:26 AM
Well at least the BMW was rolling in style.

JustinMCS
05-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by XXXXXX
Well at least the BMW was rolling in style.

+1 HA

Shitty situation though. For it to just up and leave is not cool.

GTS4tw
05-28-2013, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by snowcat
Something doesn't add up. Either his car is actually fucked or he's an idiot.

He can't be an stupid. He owns a BMW.

G-ZUS
05-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

He can't be an stupid. He owns a BMW.

:rofl: :rofl:

spikerS
05-28-2013, 11:10 AM

If he had not captured the event on camera, I probably would not have believed him.

Inzane
05-28-2013, 12:43 PM

This doesn't surprise me. It took BMW Canada months and months (maybe > year) to acknowledge the problem with the HPFP failures on the N54, despite it already being a recall (and extended warranty on the pumps) in the US.

clem24
05-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Stewjoe
My work truck (04 dodge) will sometimes display it is in drive/neutral or another gear but the shifter has not been fully engaged. I would suspect that is the case here.

Yeah but your work truck probably had a mechanical shift linkage. All current BMWs use an electronic gear shift.. Kind of scary if you think about it, in that both the gear shift mechanism AND the parking brake are now fully electronic.

tehwegz
05-29-2013, 10:17 PM
That's why you drive a man's transmission where use of parking brake is required and becomes habitual.