PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Jeep Wrangler, reviews and opinions?

93VR6
05-28-2013, 08:12 AM
I've been contemplating a new Jeep Wrangler for while now, reading online reviews and the likes but It's always better to hear from "real" people.

I'm personally leaning towards the Sahara trim not the rubicon since I don't need locking diffs or the electronic swaybar disconnects. Fuel economy isn't a big deal for me, I just want something fun and reasonable on the highway since I work 2 on 2 of about 700km from Calgary.

Also does anyone have any experience with the new soft top? I had one on my old 2000 wrangler and good god it was a mess to put up and down and it was loud as all hell on the highway.

I will be test driving one the end of this week but I'd still like to hear from you guys and gals.

ExtraSlow
05-28-2013, 08:29 AM
Wrangler isn't that great on the highway compared to the other options. However, if you a real jeep person, you won't care.

4WARNED
05-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Rented a 2013 wrangler sahara unlimited last week for work (drove to Edson and back). Quite impressed with the new drivetrain on the highway - lots of power. Actually got decent mileage on the highway at 130 kph too. Crosswinds knocked it around a bit but it's a brick so to be expected.

Rental was a hardtop so can't comment on the new roof. Make sure you have good glass coverage though - rental was brand new and came back with 4 or 5 rock chips on it's vertical windshield.

I'd like to get one in my driveway but then I heard rumblings of a small diesel going into them in 2015. I'll buy one for sure then.

Apparently hold their value quite well too (at least the 4 doors). 6 year old sahara are still around $17K.

I'd recommend one. :thumbsup:

Graham_A_M
05-29-2013, 01:13 AM
What trim level and engine/ tranny combo offers the best fuel economy? The reason I ask is I do a shit ton of highway driving during the summer.

I've always been interested in jeeps for some reason.
I would to pick one up at some point, but I just want to know what's the best fit.

dirtsniffer
05-29-2013, 06:22 AM
A friend of mine was commuting back and forth Saskatoon quite a bit. He sold his wrangler after about 6 trips. He couldn't handle how it was on the highway.

ExtraSlow
05-29-2013, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Wrangler isn't that great on the highway compared to the other options. However, if you a real jeep person, you won't care.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
A friend of mine was commuting back and forth Saskatoon quite a bit. He sold his wrangler after about 6 trips. He couldn't handle how it was on the highway.

Yeah. Lots of highway driving means you should look elsewhere. Buy an explorer or something for the highway, and get an old jeep for the trails. Best of both worlds.

4WARNED
05-29-2013, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

Yeah. Lots of highway driving means you should look elsewhere. .

This.

For short stints, it's ok but it's more for shorter around town trips - unless you've owned a CJ, YJ or TJ prior. Then a wrangler unlimited with the newly updated drivetrain will feel like a Cadillac on the highway :D

CapnCrunch
05-29-2013, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by 93VR6

I just want something fun and reasonable on the highway since I work 2 on 2 of about 700km from Calgary.

I can't imagine a worse vehicle for highway driving.

Ca_Silvia13
05-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Even in the city they are pretty brutal to drive. The handling sucks, not very quick, not very good on gas, brakes suck and if you ever take off the doors or roof, welcome to leak city.

But if you are a jeep fanatic then all of this is normal operation.

Tomaz
05-29-2013, 09:47 AM
When I took one out on a test drive, I knew immediately that I would hate this thing for highway driving (commute from strathmore daily). I would look elsewhere if you are doing that much highway.

If they made a gladiator, I would be all over it. More so for the "second kind of cool" factor.

http://www.jeep.com/shared/autoshow/concept_vehicles/images/gladiator_static.jpg

Unknown303
05-29-2013, 11:49 AM
New Jeeps on the highway really aren't that bad. The wind does blow them around a bit but the most noticeable thing on the highway is road/wind noise. Even the hard top doesn't block a lot of noise. The soft tops on the 07+ are a lot easier to put up and down than the older models.