PDA

View Full Version : Place to take the family

Phihalo
05-28-2013, 08:17 AM
My mother-in-law will be coming to visit for 10 days and I¡¦d like to bring her out to have brunch and dinner around the city. She¡¦s coming from oversea and obviously I don¡¦t think I¡¦ll bring her to any Chinese restaurant to disappoint her in Calgary. We have a 4months old so the place ideally should be nice and spacious. She eats pretty much anything, and I¡¦d think something along the line of Steaks/Seafood (western style) and maybe some egg Benedict etc.

Let¡¦s hear them beyond, and TIA ƒº

dannie
05-28-2013, 08:29 AM
There are lots of places. The problem is that for most brunches, you will be waiting to get in. Monki (deadliest breakfast in the city), would be my first choice.. but it's small. So, go during the week so you don't wait an hr and a half on the weekends. Find Diner in Inglewood has epic bacon... same thing tho, expect a wait on the weekend. I've also been to Yellow Door Bistro lately for their breakfast... which has been outstanding each time. Big space, interesting décor and awesome food (think - lemon ricotta pancakes). It might be worth taking them there too.

ExtraSlow
05-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Take her to the mountains as much as possible.
The Ranche in fish creek is awesome, coyotes in Banff is a nice inexpensive option for lunches. Eagle Eye at Kicking Horse.

clem24
05-29-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't know how your MIL is, but I find Chinese people just want to eat Chinese food ahahaha. Seriously Chinese are not used to 'heavy' western diets of steaks and potatoes and raw vegetables (i.e. salad). They can maybe take a meal or 2 before they need rice (heck I am like that and I've lived here pretty much all my life) and fully cooked Asian veggies.

Having said that, I'd bring her to GOOD pho places, like Pho Chu The and Song Huong.. Pho is one of the rare things that appeal to Hongers AND is actually BETTER here.

And TBH, our Chinese food isn't that bad as long as you go to the right places.

bh87
05-29-2013, 04:08 PM
When my wifes Aunt and Uncle came to visit from Hong Kong last summer we took them for a steak at Vintage Chop House and also for Chinese at Golden Inn (pick your favorite Chinese place) and Dim Sum at Central Grand and they were happy with that.

As advised by a friend who moved here from Hong Kong and has family visit frequently, take them for something they can't get where they are from first and then something familiar after that.

Maxt
05-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Glenmore Inn for Brunch...:drool: