PDA

View Full Version : Will Alberta Health Care cover an eye exam in Ontario?

Super_Geo
02-20-2004, 02:13 PM
I think I need some glasses, and I'm in Ontario right now. I called the optomitrist and they said that it'll be $70 without Ontario health care, but I was told that if I keep some records of it that AHC will reimburse me. Is that true? Thanks guys.

benyl
02-20-2004, 03:31 PM
Are you over 18? If so, Alberta Health care doesn't cover you in Alberta for eye exams, so I doubt it would in Ontario.

kenny
02-20-2004, 10:42 PM
AHC will cover it only in Alberta, and only if you are under 18 or over 65.

SwitchBlade
02-21-2004, 12:01 AM
you just need to keep copy of the reciepts and submit them under your or your parents medical company.

BebeAphrodite
02-21-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by SwitchBlade
you just need to keep copy of the reciepts and submit them under your or your parents medical company.

What do you mean by medical company? Alberta Health Care is a medical company and so is Alberta Blue Cross. But both have different purposes. Not every blue cross/insurance plan covers eye exams. And I'm pretty sure that Kenny is right - you need to be in Alberta and I know for sure that you need to be under 18 and over 65.

So even if he keeps a copy of the receipts and submits it under his parent's insurance (not sure what you meant in the first place and assuming they have it) it's not guaranteed that it'lll be covered.

Super_Geo: In order to find out if it's covered for sure, give AHC a call and ask. But I'm pretty sure that Kenny is right. And secondly, if you do have additional coverage, I'd give them a call too to find out what they cover since individual plans vary. For example, I know with my parent's coverage with blue cross I have 100% dental/medications (up to a certain amount) but absolutly nothing at all for eye care (I had to call and ask).

Super_Geo
02-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by CuteAsianAngel
Super_Geo: In order to find out if it's covered for sure, give AHC a call and ask. But I'm pretty sure that Kenny is right. And secondly, if you do have additional coverage, I'd give them a call too to find out what they cover since individual plans vary. For example, I know with my parent's coverage with blue cross I have 100% dental/medications (up to a certain amount) but absolutly nothing at all for eye care (I had to call and ask).

Thanks for the info.

Yeah I guess there's no coverage if you're over 18... Hadn't had my eyes check in a long time and I remember it being free last time. Damn it... there's nothing worse then having to sit front/center in the lecture halls cause you can't see the board... it's so brutal when you fall asleep and you're sitting three feet away from the prof :banghead: