PDA

View Full Version : Skim milk unhealthy?

duaner
05-28-2013, 07:55 PM
My wife sent me this link the other day and I thought someone here may know more about this than I. Of course, we've been drinking skim milk for a long time because it's supposed to be "healthy."

http://butterbeliever.com/fat-free-dairy-skim-milk-secrets/

There is so much (mis)information out there these days regarding nutrition that it's next to impossible to know who is right, or most likely right, and who is wrong. It seems both/all sides use fear-mongering to various degrees, and although I take everything with a block of salt, I do tend to distrust the established medical system more and more.

So, all other anti-dairy arguments aside, is there any truth to this?

max_boost
05-28-2013, 08:06 PM
As long as it ain't soy (for guys).

Tej.S
05-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Always question how credible is a source is. I've been drinking skim milk for years, never found anything wrong with it :dunno:

Xtrema
05-28-2013, 08:26 PM
So we need to suck on cow teats?

I don't really care any more. Everything is processed, skim or not.

Every producer is using tons of different ways to get more and faster for less. Nutrition value of our food isn't what it used to be.

Stop worrying and eat what everyone eats and be balance. If the food actually fucks you up, at least everyone are on the same boat as you and easier for doctors to find pattern and find a cure.

duaner
05-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
So we need to suck on cow teats?

I don't really care any more. Everything is processed, skim or not.

Every producer is using tons of different ways to get more and faster for less. Nutrition value of our food isn't what it used to be.

Stop worrying and eat what everyone eats and be balance. If the food actually fucks you up, at least everyone are on the same boat as you and easier for doctors to find pattern and find a cure.
lol True. I suppose it's healthier than most of the supplements I use anyway...

project240
05-28-2013, 09:10 PM
I have been drinking 2-4 liters of milk almost daily for the past 15 years... By far my favorite source of protein.

Doozer
05-28-2013, 09:12 PM
My wife drinks skim, I drink 2%. Separate milk for our whole marriage. When the kids were still on homogenized milk, we had 3 different milk jugs in the fridge at all times.

Can't speak to the relative health of either one, but frankly, there are a few things that I just like better, and 2% milk is one of them. That's the main argument I use! :thumbsup:

CanmoreOrLess
05-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by project240
I have been drinking 2-4 liters of milk almost daily for the past 15 years... By far my favorite source of protein.

Seriously you drink 2-4 litres of milk a day? 720 plus a year? I hope you know the physical signs for a heart attack.

project240
05-28-2013, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess

Seriously you drink 2-4 litres of milk a day? 720 plus a year? I hope you know the physical signs for a heart attack.

Haha, when I was in university for 3 years I drank 4 liters everyday... I've since cut back, but really only because I don't have the fridge space to buy 28 liters at a time. There's probably a couple guys who I worked with briefly in the Arctic who could vouch for me drinking 2 liters before 10:00 am most days...

Ooh so good

AaronK
05-28-2013, 11:28 PM
Jesus thats a lot of milk dude, cant be healthy....

Darkane
05-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by project240

Haha, when I was in university for 3 years I drank 4 liters everyday... I've since cut back, but really only because I don't have the fridge space to buy 28 liters at a time. There's probably a couple guys who I worked with briefly in the Arctic who could vouch for me drinking 2 liters before 10:00 am most days...

Ooh so good

I know your type. You fart almost all the time. Am I right? Serious question.

Edit: follow up questions.

You've had acne all your life. Not bad but you get these odd ones never seem to truly clear up.

You have an ectomorphic body type. Lanky but strong is what you're described as. You used to eat a lot. Still can but not as much now.

Am I on the right path?

black13
05-29-2013, 12:13 AM
This misconception comes from the fact that people think "fat-free" products are good while usually in these products the fat is replaced with sugar which is the real fattening ingredient.

Fat in raw milk and natural products/meats is the good kind of fat. Fat in processed food is bad.

Milk, skim or not is processed. If you really want good milk you gotta drink Raw milk but it goes bad much faster and has more risky so it's illegal in Alberta. Just drink 1%. Less processed, tastes better and the 20 extra calories isn't gonna make any difference.

heavyfuel
05-29-2013, 07:46 AM
I drink skim, 2-3 litres/day every day since, forever. I have a back and knee injury that aren't bothering me as much as they probably should, and I think milk is a big part of the reason why. Once in a while I'll settle for 1% if they don't have skim at the store across the street, 1% does seem to taste better.

GTS4tw
05-29-2013, 07:58 AM
Im curious, for the guys drinking so much milk, what is the reason? Taste? General health? Certain vitamins or minerals?

heavyfuel
05-29-2013, 08:23 AM
I've always felt good after drinking milk. I'm not a health nut but It's important to me to eat healthy. After my concussion snowboarding on opening day 2 seasons ago, I started craving milk more and more, right after I recovered I was drinking 4L/day for while.

spikerS
05-29-2013, 08:26 AM
I have cut way back on my milk intake. I used to drink 1-2L a day, now maybe 1L a week.

I actually used to be able to feel when I wasn't drinking milk.

NoMoreG35
05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
As long as it ain't soy (for guys).

Why? I drink soy milk, and put skim milk or soy milk in my coffee everyday.

DeleriousZ
05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Why not just drink water and get the 'nutrients' that 'comes in the milk' from other food sources? Or at least drink raw milk from a credible farm/source which hasn't been stripped of all its beneficial nutrients by the pasteurizing process.

Here's a bit more on the raw milk debate:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2006/12/19/real-reason-why-raw-milk-was-banned-in-california.aspx

And some background on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_milk

The main thing to remember is that corporations like the FDA and CDC are not there to protect you. They're a business, just like every other business, and are owned by the very people they're sought to regulate. Your best interest is not their best interest, they're not looking out for you.

Also, the argument that 'i've been drinking it for years and it hasn't done anything bad to me!' is ridiculous. The human body is an amazing machine and has the ability to deal with a huge amount of input that's not meant for it (as i sit here chowing down on a mcdonald's breakfast bagel). Some people smoke every day until they die of a completely unrelated reason. We all know how incredibly harmful smoking is, but it just shows that some people are able to deal with constant harmful input and not expire.

But hey, it's your bodies' and I don't want to tell you what not to put in it, just trying to provide information.

DeleriousZ
05-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by NoMoreG35

Why? I drink soy milk, and put skim milk or soy milk in my coffee everyday.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects

http://greatist.com/health/soy-what-every-man-needs-know

Has the ability to lower your sperm count, and might give you moobs if you drink lots lol.

civic_stylez
05-29-2013, 02:52 PM
I live off skim milk. Im good for 4L/week. Definintely avoid soy product unless youre on the estrogen hunt...:poosie:

GTS4tw
05-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ
Why not just drink water and get the 'nutrients' that 'comes in the milk' from other food sources? Or at least drink raw milk from a credible farm/source which hasn't been stripped of all its beneficial nutrients by the pasteurizing process.

Here's a bit more on the raw milk debate:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2006/12/19/real-reason-why-raw-milk-was-banned-in-california.aspx

And some background on it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raw_milk

The main thing to remember is that corporations like the FDA and CDC are not there to protect you. They're a business, just like every other business, and are owned by the very people they're sought to regulate. Your best interest is not their best interest, they're not looking out for you.

Also, the argument that 'i've been drinking it for years and it hasn't done anything bad to me!' is ridiculous. The human body is an amazing machine and has the ability to deal with a huge amount of input that's not meant for it (as i sit here chowing down on a mcdonald's breakfast bagel). Some people smoke every day until they die of a completely unrelated reason. We all know how incredibly harmful smoking is, but it just shows that some people are able to deal with constant harmful input and not expire.

But hey, it's your bodies' and I don't want to tell you what not to put in it, just trying to provide information.

This is why I was wondering some peoples motivation, there isnt really anything special in milk that you can't get elsewhere. But if it is for taste then it makes sense, not any worse than the other million habits we humans have.

dirtsniffer
05-29-2013, 03:31 PM
damn now I want some milk. Canadian standards are higher than the states anyways so be careful when you're reading articles.

I was down in whitefish a couple weeks ago and bought some 1%. Friggen stuff didnt expire for 5 weeks....

DeleriousZ
05-29-2013, 03:37 PM
I forgot to mention in my water suggestion to avoid tap water because it's heavily fluoridated lol *tinfoil hat*

beecue
05-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Ke47tp7LFEI

suntan
05-29-2013, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by DeleriousZ The main thing to remember is that corporations like the FDA and CDC are not there to protect you. They're a business, just like every other business, and are owned by the very people they're sought to regulate. Your best interest is not their best interest, they're not looking out for you.The FDA is a corporation now? Huh.

Back in the day, milk was routinely thinned with things like chalk, paint and water. Basically anything that was white.

People in general are only honest as they need to be.

project240
05-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

You've had acne all your life. Not bad but you get these odd ones never seem to truly clear up.

You have an ectomorphic body type. Lanky but strong is what you're described as. You used to eat a lot. Still can but not as much now.

Am I on the right path?

Not at all me... Seriously nothing mentioned applies to me at all.

Originally posted by GTS4tw
Im curious, for the guys drinking so much milk, what is the reason? Taste? General health? Certain vitamins or minerals?

Taste for me....

GQBalla
05-29-2013, 08:09 PM
I used to drink two to four liters a day easily depending on how often I was home.

I drank it because to help me put on weight and it tasted good.

I've since cut out milk out diet. Haven't drank milk in over a year but I still had two yogurts a day until three weeks ago.

Since cutting out milk I noticed no difference in my life expect my gut started to go away. Keep in mind I ate the exact same.

Humans are the only species in this world that drinks milk after baby/toddler stage. I didn't cut out milk for that reason. I just cut it out to help lose fat. I could have switched to skim since all I drank was 2% but I'm kinda if the guy that would rather drink a coke then have a diet coke. Got to have the real thing instead of some tricky substance lol

duaner
05-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

Am I on the right path?
That's pretty close to describing me, except that I've been able to move closer to the mesomorph side of things. lol I drink 250-500mL per day and that may or may not include what goes on cereal. And some days I don't have milk.

Originally posted by dirtsniffer

Canadian standards are higher than the states anyways so be careful when you're reading articles.
Yeah, with all the hormones and stuff in them, I wouldn't touch the stuff.

Originally posted by GQBalla
Humans are the only species in this world that drinks milk after baby/toddler stage.
And we're probably the only ones that cook our steak. ;) I do agree though that it is something to consider.

I really do just hate how there is so much conflicting information out there.

Tej.S
05-29-2013, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by duaner

That's pretty close to describing me, except that I've been able to move closer to the mesomorph side of things. lol I drink 250-500mL per day and that may or may not include what goes on cereal. And some days I don't have milk.

:werd:

I guess we should stop drinking tap water too =\ My parents got a filtration system built in several years ago, but I just don't like the taste of filtered water for some reason lol. I just drink milk cuz I like the taste of it. IMO, it would feel weird to drink water with cereal or breakfast(some, not all). Inb4 juice.. I don't drink much juice, but that's me personally.

GTS4tw
05-29-2013, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Tej.S

:werd:

I guess we should stop drinking tap water too =\ My parents got a filtration system built in several years ago, but I just don't like the taste of filtered water for some reason lol. I just drink milk cuz I like the taste of it. IMO, it would feel weird to drink water with cereal or breakfast(some, not all). Inb4 juice.. I don't drink much juice, but that's me personally.

Coffee!! All I drink other than water.

Neil68
06-23-2013, 09:36 PM
Just wanted to point out the myth that processed milk contains antibiotics or steriods that were given to dairy cows. Milk in Canada is tested at the farm and if these substances are detected the entire vat of milk is destroyed. Same with beef...hormone levels are tested, or else the beef cannot enter the supply chain.

FWIW, I've been drinking skim milk for over 30 years, combined with weight training and have not had any blood pressure or arterial issues. I still love making shakes with fruit, yogurt, skim milk and other ingredients:)

Tej.S
06-24-2013, 01:24 AM
The cows that are shredded as f*ck are like that because of a gene disorder, not because of what they're fed lol.

wintonyk
06-24-2013, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Neil68
Just wanted to point out the myth that processed milk contains antibiotics or steriods that were given to dairy cows. Milk in Canada is tested at the farm and if these substances are detected the entire vat of milk is destroyed. Same with beef...hormone levels are tested, or else the beef cannot enter the supply chain.

FWIW, I've been drinking skim milk for over 30 years, combined with weight training and have not had any blood pressure or arterial issues. I still love making shakes with fruit, yogurt, skim milk and other ingredients:)

the nail on the head there. this is a lot of fear mongering.