PDA

View Full Version : Sept 20 CBC Street Racing Story

speedracer
09-20-2002, 10:14 PM
They will be broadcasting the story tonight / in a few mins on Channel 6 .
For any of those that haven't seen it turn on the TV now.

max_boost
09-20-2002, 10:32 PM
I have satelite, I'm watching the National right now.

T-rus
09-20-2002, 10:33 PM
So are they going to nail every sport car that is out there. I might drive a piece but I feel for all those who put there money into there rides....What next are they going to tow F-40's next..I think it is all bull if you ask me.:banghead:

nismodrifter
09-20-2002, 10:36 PM
this was already shown a long time ago
this one was just edited to tell people about the recent death of an officer

T-rus
09-20-2002, 10:37 PM
First time I have seen this one....only caught the last 10 mins or so

ninjak84
09-20-2002, 10:37 PM
i live in lethbridge, so can someone please fill me in?
i dont get cable yet, still waiting on it

Dope Dealer
09-20-2002, 10:38 PM
Just caught it too. Haven't seen it yet. Pretty interesting.

max_boost
09-20-2002, 10:39 PM
I am glad I don't drive a Japanese car hehe I don't think Euro cars will get as much attention hehe

That is harsh how they towed the cars

ZERO TOLERANCE and they mean it! DAM!

T-rus
09-20-2002, 10:42 PM
The only way my car will get towed if the good ol' Ford breaks down (boring)...Wish I had a decent car.

B18C
09-20-2002, 10:49 PM
I think it was a good peice. The zero tolerance thing sucks but what do you expect them to do. They can't tell the responsible ones from the street racers. If everyone would just keep the racing on the track we wouldn't have this problem

max_boost
09-20-2002, 10:55 PM
Next thing you know, cops are going to know more about cars than most of us do. What is stock and what is not, watch out!!!

B18C, they are coming after you! hehe j/k:guns:

Stratus_Power
09-20-2002, 11:01 PM
i just saw it too! damnit thats not fair... one accident and they blaming the whole world and any mod wat so ever is banned.. why dont they just ban ppl when ppl drink and drive and killed ppl... ... one little thing ( wellnot little in this case) and the world suffer..

B18C
09-20-2002, 11:02 PM
i don't think it was just one accident. they have had quite a few down there

speedracer
09-20-2002, 11:03 PM
What ever happen to innocent until proven guilty?

sexualbanana
09-20-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Stratus_Power
why dont they just ban ppl when ppl drink and drive and killed ppl

they do. it's called jailed time

T-rus
09-20-2002, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by speedracer
What ever happen to innocent until proven guilty?

They don't care as long as they get their paycheck at the end of the month and made somebody look like a fool at the side of the street that is all that matters to cops...helps them look good at work " Hey guys I just nailed some innocent guy on 12th..but I get an extra $50 for it on my check...hahahaha" That is crap if you ask me...as it was said, one person or group ruins it for the rest of you guys.

RGAGT
09-20-2002, 11:12 PM
Ya Know if they spent half as much time on Drunk Drivers and Cars that are unsafe on the Road and the unsafe drivers with Cell Phones and less time harrassing People that fix up there cars the roads would be a lot safer

Stratus_Power
09-20-2002, 11:37 PM
didnt they used to say that cops get like a quota that gotta fill each month... like giving out at least a certain amount of ticket

max_boost
09-20-2002, 11:51 PM
You do the crime, you pay the fine and or do the time.

If you can't suffer consequences, then why break the law?

What is there to argue about?

boi-alien
09-21-2002, 12:05 AM
i don't think it's that bad of a thing. i mean yea, zero-tolerance is pretty tough, but listen to all the accidents that go on down there because of street racing. u really can't tell the responsible ones from the street racers, and i don't blame the cops down there.

RGAGT
09-21-2002, 01:00 AM
Hey I Don't Care if they Bust People Street Racing But to hassle someone Just driving down the Street Because they lowered their Car, Have Nice Rims and and Exhaust, Propable had Three or four Cars go buy with out exhaust and didn't bust them. It is Suppose to be innocent till proven Guilty. I've never Denied If I broke the the Law but I would be pissed if they pulled me over because I had modded my car:madred:

sexualbanana
09-21-2002, 02:45 AM
but technically when u modify ur car, ur already breaking the law.

EDIT: it's just like people who bitch about getting tickets for tinting their side windows. u knew it was illegal in the first place, so why'd u do it?

James
09-21-2002, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

EDIT: it's just like people who bitch about getting tickets for tinting their side windows. u knew it was illegal in the first place, so why'd u do it?

Cause its a Retarded law, and Cops usually hand out these tickets just because thier bored:rolleyes: Does having a 65% tint on the Side windows really harm anyone? When they Should be Setting up more Checkstops to get the People who DO HARM others, Drunk Drivers.

RGAGT
09-21-2002, 08:45 AM
Yeah But is it Illegal to Maker your Car Better in all Catagorys of Safety Then When the Car Came From the Factory. Bigger Tires and Brakes good for Braking and Accident avoidance, Lowering the Car also impoves Handling and makes the Car less likely to Roll over. And If it's illegal then There Shouldn't be able to sell them over the counter So are they going to go after the Aftermarket. Fack of the Matter is More People Race unmodified cars on the Streets now then Modded cars So They are Targeting the Wrong People in General

Maxt
09-21-2002, 08:47 AM
On the way home last night from work, I was behind a cop in traffic, the cop cuts one car off and then takes another lane with no signal lights, just to get behind some guy with a red honda that had clear tail lights and an exhaust tip, it looked like a regular muffler, just it had a nice chrome tip added. As we turn onto Mcleod trail, I could see the driver, no punk driving, some guy mid 30's just looks like he is cruisin home from work as well, no stereo thump or nothing, the cop is right on his ass, follows about 5 feet off his bumper , the honda puts the signal light on as his merge lane ends, I make space to let the guy in, the cop blows on the lights and sirens, and pulls the guy over, no reason, just profiling the drive by the car he is driving I guess.. 20 minutes later, black Acura with similar mods gets the same treatment at Mcloed and Shawnessy, if you ask me the cops are some sort of zero basis crackdown, just to be asses, and thats not their job to harass people, call your alderman and the police complaint line, thats what they are there for, and thats what WE PAY THEM FOR. Now we can get into symantics about whats legal and whats not, most cop cars on the road are illegal, notice the lack of daytime running lights on cop cars? Its been law since 1990, however the american made headlight flasher kits have no provision for DRL wiring. If a cop takes issue with you exhaust tip, ask the cop to also tag every vehicle sold NEW with a exhaust tip as well, which includes just about every GM midsize car made and most European cars, while they are at it. If its an issue with non oem equipment, how about the tires on the police cars, they are not OEM neither are the lights, I have found that once you point out to a cop that his logic cannot be a one way street, they will back off and let you go, of course I am no kid with his baseball cap on backward either, but in the end if they are fair, that shouldn't be an issue, and don't get all pissy with the cops, just ask them to apply the same rationale and traffic code to the car they are driving, and the other 10,000 cars on the road that day, they will back down..
We have to remember, they work for us, they are not our "gods" nor our rulers, and thats why live in a supposed democracy, if you feel you have been singled out and harrassed , phone the chief, phone the mayors office, phone the staff seargant, the police hate bad publicity, all they need is a whiff of some public anger and mistrust, and they will leave you alone at all costs, unless you are being a complete bonehead..Maxt

Stratus_Power
09-21-2002, 09:41 AM
i agree.. taking bad street racing wannabe is one thing, just giving out random tickets to people that has no treat to other people what so ever is another, the time they wasted giving out a ticket to someone w/ a bigger exhaust can probably be use to catch some other ppl who are speeding or drunk driving... sooner or later they are gonna give tickets to people who dont use both hands to drive :madred:

Toma
09-21-2002, 10:24 AM
Yeah, but there IS NO LAW stating that you cannot modify your car for cosmetics or performance.

Can anyone smell "communist russia" back in Canada where you have no rights or freedoms, where you are guilty before so proven? Canada has a constitution, guarantees freedom of expression, and freedom from wrongful harrassment....

All its gonna take is some kid with a rich dad to take this up with the supreme court to tell the cops to go fuck themselves.

Toma

max_boost
09-21-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
red honda that had clear tail lights

Clear taillights are illegal. Have you seen the clear taillights light up in the day? To be honest, I can see them but to the thousands of other drivers on the road who don't know dick all about clears will probably smack that rear bumper. It is a legal issue, the owner would probably be blame if he got into an accident because of this one illegal modification.

Yes it sucks, is it just me or they are targeting Honda's more than any other car manufacturer out there?

max_boost
09-21-2002, 11:26 AM
You just get less attention if you are driving a souped up BMW compared to a souped up Prelude. I use to have cops follow me all over the place.

2000impreza
09-21-2002, 11:38 AM
clear tail lights are illegal for a reason. in the day time especially when its really bright out its almost impossible to tell when the brake light, signal light or whatever light is on. its a accident waiting to happen.... same goes for altezza's.

honda's will always get the most attention... because there are so many of them lol. its funny because after i took my fart can exhaust off cops don't even give my car a second look... lol. thats a good thing.

Toma
09-21-2002, 12:08 PM
Yeah but Altezzas are FACTORY on a few cars now.

I think the "rule" only states that the lights must be of specific colour, and that you cannot obstruct them....where's a cop when you need one...

Its like a few years ago with the big bust at 50th. THey towed a couple cars for having nitrous. I asked a buddy of mine that IS a cop about that, and he said there was NO RULE making nitrous illegal in a car....

Toma

HOK
09-21-2002, 12:09 PM
actually it is in the law that the police have all discretion for stopping a individual and what has been unlawfully modified... its so wide open that i would presume that anything is up for a ticket. I read the entire motor vehicle act and it clearly states that anything that is modified on the vehicle that is deemed unsafe (by an observing officer) can be prosecuted. :thumbsdow

Toma
09-21-2002, 12:11 PM
"unsafe"?? LOL, yeah, if he has an automotive engineering degree and qualified to make such a decision....

garbage...

Toma

HOK
09-21-2002, 12:17 PM
hey don't shoot the messenger.... lol... i just think its a way to get the police's responsibility off a little easier and then let the judge decide...

Maxt
09-21-2002, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Toma
"unsafe"?? LOL, yeah, if he has an automotive engineering degree and qualified to make such a decision....

garbage...

Toma
Thats pretty much gonna be the argument you could make in court, what background knowledge gives a cop the right or abiltiy to determine what is safe or what is not safe for the road when it comes modified equipment, if it has a DOT stamp on it, the cops accusations are pretty much baseless, the cop having personal power to determine what is by his or her own personal "feelings" would not stand up in court. Even totally custom stuff cannot be really condemned by a cop, they are treading on some pretty thin ice legally if they were to ticket or tow your car for it.
You could also backtrack the entire process, asking why the city itself licences business to sell the stuff within the city limits without a warning of its illegality.
As I read the traffic act, it does pertain to illuminated colours, you are not suppose to change the colours of the light with films to certain covers facing different directions, meaning all headlights are suppose to be white light, no rearward white lites except revers lights, so what if the light is clear when its off, if the light is off its not serving a purpose anyway for traffic direction. You can't have green turn signals, you must have red or amber, but as far as having clear lenses with correct coloured bulbs, no problem with that, lots of new cars have that, and its perfectly legal.

And hey Toma, I went to Crescent Heights, I am pretty sure I know you, and you know me, I am also a friend of Chris Ng's,Eric Dumass, and the rest of the Rx-7 whores..Maxt

HOK
09-21-2002, 02:26 PM
well tickets for non stock exhaust and oversized tips is pretty much bullshit... but who has received a favourable decision from the judge? i hope you guys fight it.. cause i will if i get one..

LowRiderHD2000
09-21-2002, 03:02 PM
Clear tailights are against the law if there is no reflector inside the light. Also must be DOT.

kenny
09-21-2002, 03:05 PM
Yeah, but there IS NO LAW stating that you cannot modify your car for cosmetics or performance.

Most cosmetic or performance mods are in fact ILLEGAL. Go look up the Highway Traffic Act and skim through everything, you'll be surprised. Most of the time, cops let it SLIDE.

sexualbanana
09-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by RGAGT
Yeah But is it Illegal to Maker your Car Better in all Catagorys of Safety Then When the Car Came From the Factory. Bigger Tires and Brakes good for Braking and Accident avoidance, Lowering the Car also impoves Handling and makes the Car less likely to Roll over.

then why not argue that a loud exhausts lets people hear u r coming while the neon lights help them see u in the dark

ninjak84
09-21-2002, 05:03 PM
MaxT's story of seeing people getting pulled over is absolutely crazy though. there has got to be a better way for police to spend their time. is this where my tax dollars are going?

Toma also had a good point. altezza style light are factory on alot of cars now (IS300, mustangs), and blue lights are factory as well (BMW, mercedes). why would you get a ticket for them, when a mustang could roll by right then and be legal?

is it because its a japanese car?
theres way too many arguments to be made for anyone to accept a ticket for lights or exhaust.

sexualbanana
09-21-2002, 05:26 PM
because it's factory

T5_X
09-21-2002, 05:36 PM
Personally, I'm a believer in the window tint law. If I was a cop, and pulled over a car, I'd want to see if there was some punk in the back seat with a gun.

Maxt
09-21-2002, 05:45 PM
SO Ranger, how about the city bus that has a graphic film from bumper to bumper, the cops do not seem to have any problem with that, and there is more likely to be a happening with criminal intent on a public platform like a bus or c-train than the back seat of most cars, you could be robbing people blind on a bus with a cop right beside it, yet that gets ok'd by the police, mostly because of the AD revenue that it generates for the city, I guess money does talk eh?
Its funny, in the US politicians routinely get removed from office via recall and petition over laws that rub the public the wrong way, but in Canada, we just bend over and take it..Maxt

ninjak84
09-21-2002, 06:35 PM
because it's factory

so if you drive off the sale floor with it its fine. but if you go down the street and put it on 5 minutes later its not?

RGAGT
09-21-2002, 06:40 PM
I have No Problem With the Window Tint Law That is for Your Protection as well as the Police, But They also have other options like Calling Back up or Using the Pa System To GEt the Windows Rolled Down and can use the Spot lights to light up the Car :dunno: and Hey Sexualbanana Never Thought about the Exhaust and Neons as a Saftey Item that s a good one:D

turboMiata
09-21-2002, 07:20 PM
It would suck if all of us got harassed during the Beyond Meet/Cruise.

I think I'll take the Land Rover. Oh wait, it's got modifications, too.... Maybe I'll hitch a ride.

LaughingTiger
09-21-2002, 08:10 PM
I think most manufacturers stopped making clear tail lights
because of the law, and most products they sell comes with
a disclaimer saying it's not street legal.. It's up to the owner
if the style is worth the ticket..

szw
09-21-2002, 11:04 PM
DOT means jack shit here

James
09-21-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Ranger_X31
Personally, I'm a believer in the window tint law. If I was a cop, and pulled over a car, I'd want to see if there was some punk in the back seat with a gun.

That makes some Sense, but i got a ticket and I dont have a backseat! nothing to hide, And the tint isnt event that dark!:madred:

ninjak84
09-22-2002, 12:23 AM
ouch, sorry to hear about your ticket james
any luck with the MR2 yet?

sexualbanana
09-22-2002, 12:29 AM
its not just officer safety. it's like driving at night with ur sunglasses on

Maxt
09-22-2002, 07:27 AM
Actually Dot means alot here, when a cop checks your tires, he looks for a DOT rating, Transport Canada is basically lazy, they pretty much just use and copy the American Dot rules and standards, but throw in a few special little things to make it justifiably "Canadian", like daytime running lights and the odd turn signal colour etc etc. They also know, that international manfacturers aren't going to even consider Transport Canada ratings as a relevent rating, so the US DOT ratings are pretty much accepted here on everything automotive, like brake lines, tires, lights etc etc...
Whats killer funny though is when Transport Canada tries to justify its existance and gets bitten in the ass in the process...
Anyone remember the LongHorn Limo guy, he's was in court for years over his limo with transport Canada, it passed every safety test and standard, with no problems, and TC still kept impounding the truck/limo, now he's suing their asses off for something like 3 million and harrasment, its just to bad thats our money they get to piss away like that, really someone at TC should be fired for that whole mess..Maxt

RGAGT
09-22-2002, 09:18 AM
Yeah If you go limo Tint then that's dangerous at night But I just go with a light tint just enough to Dull the Sunlight in the day time and hey we live in a city so there are enough lights to make it look like daytime all the time:D

T5_X
09-22-2002, 02:04 PM
its not just officer safety. it's like driving at night with ur sunglasses on

LOL, too bad they can kill someone else, cause if they only put themselves in danger, that's pure natural selction :p

BTW MAXT, how often do you see a city bus get pulled over? You're comparing apples to oranges.
Just put yourself in the shoes of a cop, how would you feel approaching a suspicious car with limo tint?

Toma
09-22-2002, 04:20 PM
I tend to disagree Kenny.

2 years ago when they towed the 2 nitrous cars for having nitrous out at 50th, I called my friend Jack (who is a cop and car enthusiast whos daily driver is my old supercharged 470rwhp Mustang), we SCOURED his book for an hour, and there is NO mention of nitrous being illegal, nor any other modifications (performance, or cosmetic).

As an aside....at the time, the tire isses said NOTHING about DOT ratings, but the car did require factory installed safety equipment (DOT safety glass, wipers, fluids, tread depth, seat belts - if originally equipped, bumpers, hood - unless you had a fan shroud etc).

They TRIED to re-legislate that law last year if you recall, and every speed shop in the city had customers filling out protest forms, signing petitions and we flooded them with emails. Thakfully, it was trashed.

If I was ever pulled over for such an infraction, I would ASK the cop to see the section in the book that he is using, write down everything he says (and let him know you are making notes since HE IS doing the same). Be polite, but firm. Your car is like your house, and they CANNOT search it on the lark. In alberta anyway....communist BC seems a different case.... ;)

Toma

Toma
09-22-2002, 04:30 PM
Suspicious car with limo tint? LOL. Cops got guns, there are 2 of them, and they stand at an angle, kinda behind you.

The ONLY thing the cops needs to worry about is if they pull a car over, and the "Suspicious car with limo tint" doesn't roll down his window as the cop approaches.

I dunno about you, but generally, the first thing you do when you get pulled over is roll your window down, and get ready to be bent over :D

Criminalizing the innocent is no excuse, and using illogical and unfounded arguements about pure BS is just that....BS.

There is no harm in tint. The only way someone with tint aint gonna see you is if you are beside him with your lights off on a country road with no street lights.....big danger there eh??

frankly, I cannot believe some of you just bend over without asking "why", especially knowing this is a car enthusiast board....and for gods sake, use your brains and don't accpet the first half ass logical sounding excuse they give you....

If its legal on factory cars, legal to sell, legal to buy, then for gods sake, it MUST be legal to use. ;)

Toma

Stratus_Power
09-22-2002, 05:30 PM
we had a police guy talking to us last year at my old highschool.. and they said the reason why since last year or 2 years ago that they really start busting ppl on the front tinted glass is because remember that accident that some guy hit a cops car.. killed him.. and then took off.. well that guy was driving a car w/ the font tinted... and when he fled the accident the other cops couldn't identify who rammed into the police car because of the tint glass * even though they got him afterward *... so that is why they hate people w/ front tinted

ancient
09-22-2002, 05:33 PM
Suspicious car with limo tint? LOL. Cops got guns, there are 2 of them, and they stand at an angle, kinda behind you.

The ONLY thing the cops needs to worry about is if they pull a car over, and the "Suspicious car with limo tint" doesn't roll down his window as the cop approaches.

I dunno about you, but generally, the first thing you do when you get pulled over is roll your window down, and get ready to be bent over :D

Criminalizing the innocent is no excuse, and using illogical and unfounded arguements about pure BS is just that....BS.

There is no harm in tint. The only way someone with tint aint gonna see you is if you are beside him with your lights off on a country road with no street lights.....big danger there eh??

frankly, I cannot believe some of you just bend over without asking "why", especially knowing this is a car enthusiast board....and for gods sake, use your brains and don't accpet the first half ass logical sounding excuse they give you....

If its legal on factory cars, legal to sell, legal to buy, then for gods sake, it MUST be legal to use. ;)

Toma

Good post

Maxt
09-22-2002, 07:22 PM

Toma
Next Shiela Copps asks what it means to be Canadian, send her this.. Its a pretty good summary of why we have the state we have..Maxt

Hollywood
09-23-2002, 03:12 PM
I tend to disagree Kenny.

2 years ago when they towed the 2 nitrous cars for having nitrous out at 50th, I called my friend Jack (who is a cop and car enthusiast whos daily driver is my old supercharged 470rwhp Mustang), we SCOURED his book for an hour, and there is NO mention of nitrous being illegal, nor any other modifications (performance, or cosmetic).

Well may be then but there are new laws now. Check out my post here about a exhaust tip encounter with the police.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3664