PDA

View Full Version : LF: Geomatics Job

Johnnnnnnnn
05-29-2013, 11:13 AM
I've graduated from the Geomatics Engineering program at the University of Calgary and I can't seem to find any jobs. I've been applying to a lot of IT positions, QA, QC, Surveying, CAD, and other positions but I haven't been able to get many interviews.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can find any opportunities or know any engineering firms that are hiring. I can program and I also have experience surveying.

soccernut
05-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Geomatics jobs are a bit harder to find, but they are out there.
What type of direction are you looking to take? GIS? GPS? Surveying?...etc?

I would use as many as job search engines as possible and use different key words. Also, search for companies that have Geomatics departments (Stantec, SNC Lavalin, MacElhanney, Novatel...and so on) and check their careers sections.

Did they not have a Geomatics career fair this year? They usually have it in February.

tha_bandit
05-29-2013, 11:59 AM
If you are thinking of the surveying route, try Universal Surveys, or Universal Geomatics Solutions Corp as they are called now...

Johnnnnnnnn
05-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by soccernut
Geomatics jobs are a bit harder to find, but they are out there.
What type of direction are you looking to take? GIS? GPS? Surveying?...etc?

I would use as many as job search engines as possible and use different key words. Also, search for companies that have Geomatics departments (Stantec, SNC Lavalin, MacElhanney, Novatel...and so on) and check their careers sections.

Did they not have a Geomatics career fair this year? They usually have it in February.

I am more interested in GPS and GIS but I also don't mind a field job like surveying. I've been looking around using Indeed, Eluta, Monster, Workopolis, LinkedIn, and some other engines but haven't had much luck. I'll try and check out MacElhanney. Never get any responses from SNC or Stantec haha.

I wasn't able to go to the career fair. Graduated last year actually I had a job for a month but came back because of some medical issues and recently started searching again.

Originally posted by tha_bandit
If you are thinking of the surveying route, try Universal Surveys, or Universal Geomatics Solutions Corp as they are called now...

I'll check them out thanks!

ExtraSlow
05-29-2013, 12:26 PM
Call Ghostpine Environmental. They seem to churn throught the people, so they often have job openings, although that's not a great sign about the work environment.
Matrix Environmental also.

mo_money2supe
05-29-2013, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Johnnnnnnnn
I'll try and check out MacElhanney. Never get any responses from SNC or Stantec haha.

TIP: You'll have better luck spelling it "McElhanney" without the 'a'... ;)

Johnnnnnnnn
05-29-2013, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by mo_money2supe

TIP: You'll have better luck spelling it "McElhanney" without the 'a'... ;)

Oops, I always think there's and extra 'a' because of the way it's pronounced

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Call Ghostpine Environmental. They seem to churn throught the people, so they often have job openings, although that's not a great sign about the work environment.
Matrix Environmental also.

Sounds good I applied to Matrix before I believe maybe I'll have more luck with my new resume.

sabad66
05-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Try all of the big e&p companies as well. They will all have a pretty decent sized GIS department.

ExtraSlow
05-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Nexen has a GIS job posted, I think they are having trouble filling the position, as it was previously posted back in March I believe.

Johnnnnnnnn
05-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Nexen has a GIS job posted, I think they are having trouble filling the position, as it was previously posted back in March I believe.

I've been applying to that position for a while I guess I can't get passed the screening or I don't have enough experience? =S

Originally posted by sabad66
Try all of the big e&p companies as well. They will all have a pretty decent sized GIS department.

E&P?

never
05-29-2013, 08:29 PM
Have you applied to AMEC E&I (Quarry Park)? I talked to our GIS department lead and he said they are ideally looking for someone with 2-5 years of experience but he'd take a look at any resume.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Johnnnnnnnn
05-29-2013, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by no|uno
Have you applied to AMEC E&I (Quarry Park)? I talked to our GIS department lead and he said they are ideally looking for someone with 2-5 years of experience but he'd take a look at any resume.

If you're interested, shoot me a PM.

Pm'ed thanks!

sabad66
06-02-2013, 07:21 PM
^ E&P = exploration and production. Shell, Imperial, Chevron, Husky, Total, etc.

Johnnnnnnnn
06-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Still looking for a job haha probably applied to quite a bit more now but no calls at the moment. Updated my resume further if anyone has any leads I'd appreciate it if you PM'ed or posted here.

Thanks =D

ipeefreely
06-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Alberta Energy is hiring:Type GIS in the search (https://jobs.alberta.ca/jobs-dynamic.html)

Johnnnnnnnn
06-27-2013, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by ipeefreely
Alberta Energy is hiring:Type GIS in the search (https://jobs.alberta.ca/jobs-dynamic.html)

Thanks,

I applied =D

ExtraSlow
06-28-2013, 06:15 AM
If you are still looking, get in touch with your undergrad office at the university.They keep stats on how many of their graduates get jobs, and having one unemployed from such a small department looks bad on them. they will help you. As former Profs too, they all have contacts.

Work your network. You do have one.

Johnnnnnnnn
07-17-2013, 04:32 PM
Still searching sadly xD