PDA

View Full Version : Removing small area of tint

Doozer
05-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to remove a small section of tint from a rear window.

Had my windows done years ago, but because my 3rd brake light sits a few inches away from the glass, they just went right over the area, dimming that brake light to the point where it's barely visible in the sun.

It's never really bothered me before, but this summer I'd like to do something to make the brake light a bit more visible.

I already swapped in a high-powered LED bulb without much change.

I can't just take a razor and scrape it because about 3 lines of the defroster go through that area and I don't want to cut those.

So any thoughts on how to get a brake-light-shaped hole in tint that's already been applied over defroster lines?

1SickSilvia
05-30-2013, 12:02 AM
you said it , a razor blade will do it. Just be careful and stop cutting when you get to the defroster lines

QHDynasty
06-06-2013, 11:28 PM
heat from a blow dryer may also help melt the glue from the tint

the altima is quite similar to a g35/37 I believe and getting back there with a razor blade or exacto knife to do a precise job like this would be quite difficult. I would just leave it if I were you, because it may not look/be perfect.

XXXXXX
06-11-2013, 02:12 PM
The only thing I would suggest is having the window re tinted. I have an Altima and its tight as hell from the brake light to the window and to cut out an area for the light while the tint is already on.. well, there's just no way that it would come out nice.

CanmoreOrLess
06-11-2013, 03:30 PM
I'd retint as above, you know then it is going to be done without damage. Your tint might be faded as well, I think most does over time. I have my third brake light tinted as well, something I regret along with not going with the premium tint package, I went with the non ceramic (middle priced) tint.... they did a great job though and the tint looks fine. Jared I think his name was, his company is no longer in business I believe.

Doozer
06-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Yeah, you're all correct in the sense that the bottom of the window is a real pain to get at. I've had the rear deck off, but the metal frame underneath doesn't give any extra room to work.

I think I'm going to have the scrap the idea for awhile. No interest in re-tinting at the moment, but you guys have confirmed what I've been thinking - there's just not much chance that the end result would look decent.