PDA

View Full Version : newb body kit question

tomkinite
02-20-2004, 03:19 PM
I've never really been much of a "car performance" fanatic, as such I don't know a thing about it. But recently, I have looked at a few body kits for 4 DR, black, Chev Cavalier 2002.

A little direction in this field would be greatly appreciated. I live in Hamilton and would like to know where one would get these body kits locally and how much damage (cash) is it usually to install them?

Thanks! :)

t3rry
02-20-2004, 03:21 PM
its not very difficult to find them locally, and most places will ship... and it is relatively easy to install youself, just a matter of taking the bumpers off and installing the kit. they usually bolt right up to the factory mounts...

try www.j-body.org

its a great forum for all j-body cars (cavaliers, sunfires, ect...)

they could probably help you more than we can

t3rry
02-20-2004, 03:25 PM
this is a post from one of the members on j-body.org regarding this issue

Re: Body Kit INstallation Quote Reply

Author: IXI187IXI
Date: 02-19-04 08:28 PM

i dont have pics but i can tell you step for step.

1) Open hood and take out the push pins that hold the guard over your head light.

2) Between the head lights there are 4 push pins, take them out

3) Take both headlights and turn signals out and remove the one bolt from each side behind the turn signals (may be easier to go from the other way

4) If your cant get the bolt from behind the turn signals, take off the tires and take out the 3 or 4 screws on each side on the inside fender well and then pull the plastic well back and go to the bolt that way

5) Thats all for the front

1) Open trunk and pull back the liner on each side and remove the 2 bolts on each side

2) Under the rear bumper there are 4 push pins, take them out

3) Thats it (i believe)

You have to trim the crush panel on the front and rear. Dont just take it off. Trim it down until the bumpers fit snug on the car. Make sure you test fit the bumper, then drill the holes for everythin' after you line it all up and make it.

DUBBED
02-20-2004, 03:26 PM
:rolleyes: ^^^^

They're hella easy to find locally and hella hard to install. A fibreglass kit will almost never fit properly therefore needs to be moulded professionaly by someone who knows how to work with fiberglass, for a full kit this could cost you up to $1500 with paint. If you buy a urethane kit on the other hand they usually fit pretty well, you if you have any basic knowledge you can easily install this kit on your own after you paint it.

Since I don't live in Hamilton I couldn't tell you exactly where to look locally but check out the yellow pages there should be tonnes of shops in there for you to choose from.

t3rry
02-20-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by DUBBED
:rolleyes: ^^^^

They're hella easy to find locally and hella hard to install. A fibreglass kit will almost never fit properly therefore needs to be moulded professionaly by someone who knows how to work with fiberglass, for a full kit this could cost you up to $1500 with paint. If you buy a urethane kit on the other hand they usually fit pretty well, you if you have any basic knowledge unlike some people you can easily install this kit on your own after you paint it.

Since I don't live in Hamilton I couldn't tell you exactly where to look locally but check out the yellow pages there should be tonnes of shops in there for you to choose from.

if you get a decent kit its simple to install

buh_buh
02-20-2004, 03:29 PM
don't forget to paint it first.
Unpainted kits look like ass!!!:barf:

GT2NV
02-20-2004, 04:49 PM
when i bought my kit, i got it painted right away, no driving around multi colored:rolleyes:

izzoblitzo
02-23-2004, 05:22 PM
http://www.soundspeedsports.com/

Thats where I got my front bumper from through a local shop here in town. But since your in Hamilton, and I they're located in GTA area, you might save a few bucks if you can arrange for something local.. make sure you state it for 00+ year model. The 95-99 kits wont fit for a 00-02.

And make sure to get the kit fitted first before you paint and install!

cappachihngo
02-24-2004, 01:09 AM
:thumbsup:

SI-vic
02-24-2004, 02:13 PM
I dont understand why people drive with an unpainted kit
i mean, if you dont got the coin to paint it, then save the pennies, then paint and install it together.
the reason people get body kits is to make the car look nicer.... but with an unpainted kit, it just looks @%#!

Fiberglass is a pain to deal with, even a decent body kit will be a bitch to install.

My kit was a BITCH to install the first time around, but since everything is molded and stuff now, its easy to put it on and take off.