PDA

View Full Version : Why 30 is NOT the new 20

sputnik
05-30-2013, 07:23 AM
This is a really powerful TED Talk.

If you are in your 20s (or have kids/family/friends approaching 20) this is a MUST watch.

vhhgI4tSMwc

finboy
05-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
http://s2.hubimg.com/u/2865905_f260.jpg

Sugarphreak
05-30-2013, 07:56 AM

mr2mike
05-30-2013, 08:05 AM
http://images.wikia.com/adventuretimewithfinnandjake/images/e/eb/Lol_family_guy_shut_up_meg.jpg

sputnik
05-30-2013, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
I disagree somewhat, it used to be kids moved out when they turned 18, now they move out when they turn 28

So you agree with the video?

I take it you didn't watch it.

DeleriousZ
05-30-2013, 08:35 AM
"X is the new X" is the most infuriating saying I've heard in a while. Right next to "moving forward"

Sugarphreak
05-30-2013, 08:41 AM

Duckman
05-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Having lived it, I'd say she's absolutely right.
Saying 30 is the new 20 is totally just a way of procrastinating and avoiding having to make adult decisions.
Unfortunately, so many (including myself) won't (didn't) realize the consequences until it's too late to do anything about it.
Until time travel is invented, there are no do overs and eventually you will get to point in your life where you understand that there is an end to it and feel regret for the time and opportunites that you wasted. It's a bad feeling.
For those of you who understand that and are living as functional people, I salute you. For those that are just skating by, get off your fucking asses and be something or be prepared for the sickening realization of what you aren't.

Tik-Tok
05-30-2013, 10:20 AM

I just assumed it would be in contrast to whatever my opinion was ;)

You aren't wrong, she's just blah blah blah'ing.

Sure some people just cruise through their 20's, but many of them use the time to do what their parents had to wait until retirement to do. Travel, see the world while young and vibrant, instead of old and half crippled. Also, there's lots of people getting ahead in their twenty's career wise, so they'll have a more comfortable lifestyle when having children in their 30's.

Her speech is pretty much just for those who spend their entire 20's partying. Those people aren't going to listen anyways.

Manhattan
05-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Black version of the same speech.

vH847J8htcI

BigMass
05-30-2013, 10:28 AM
way to bundle everyone's life into a nice neat package. Not everyone will have kids, not everyone will get married. Some will get married and not have kids. Some will be gay, some will have mental problems, some will have extraneous responsibilities, some will have their brother's head blown off by a depleted uranium artillery shell. etc. She makes it sound like the goal of life is to get married, have kids and a meaningful career and people waste their 20s not properly planning for this wonderful life's ideal and the biggest mistake they will make is that they will be in their 30s and have a husband, kid, and job but it won't be the "right" husband, it won't be the "right" kid or it won't be the "right" job. GTFO with this therapist BS that think they know people better than they know themselves. They read a textbook in college and all of a sudden they hold the key to life's answers.

woodywoodford
05-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
way to bundle everyone's life into a nice neat package. Not everyone will have kids, not everyone will get married. Some will get married and not have kids. Some will be gay, some will have mental problems, some will have extraneous responsibilities, some will have their brother's head blown off by a depleted uranium artillery shell. etc. She makes it sound like the goal of life is to get married, have kids and a meaningful career and people waste their 20s not properly planning for this wonderful life's ideal and the biggest mistake they will make is that they will be in their 30s and have a husband, kid, and job but it won't be the "right" husband, it won't be the "right" kid or it won't be the "right" job. GTFO with this therapist BS that think they know people better than they know themselves. They read a textbook in college and all of a sudden they hold the key to life's answers.

Amen brotha, my thoughts exactly

dubhead
05-30-2013, 10:59 AM

:clap:

Sugarphreak
05-30-2013, 11:02 AM

Mibz
05-30-2013, 12:00 PM
I'd shit rainbows if our RRSPs were anywhere close to a year's salary in 2 years.

Sugarphreak
05-30-2013, 12:33 PM

thetransporter
05-30-2013, 01:05 PM
what do they celebrate at house parties?

lasimmon
05-30-2013, 02:58 PM
And hear I thought I was living my life responsibly. Saving money, working hard, but alos partying (24 years old).

But i guess since I rent, and have not met a nice girl I am in trouble...

Hallowed_point
05-30-2013, 03:09 PM

slow clap here.

Toma
05-30-2013, 03:12 PM
Sure she is making generalizations, but they are perfectly valid as an AVERAGE.

There are always statistical outliers.

it's a societal thing though. We are living in a time where stupidity is being promoted for the benefit of consumerism.

And since procreation is the only meaningful reason for life on earth (or helping other life survive), she is spot on.

In an era where uniqueness and individuality is also praised, ignoring the FACTS that we are more the same than different, share 98% of our DNA with monkeys, and at the end of the day are a tribal species.... well, some truth and perspective is needed.

Maybelater
05-30-2013, 06:58 PM
I disagree somewhat, it used to be kids moved out when they turned 18, now they move out when they turn 28

How many people do you really know that are like this?

Anyway, with education and job demands these days I think its safe to say people in there 20s today and future generations are going to have a delayed onset of what is traditionally considered adulthood.

max_boost
05-30-2013, 07:06 PM

Excellent post. Are you and broken_legs related by chance or the same user? :D

somebody has to greet you at Walmart or it just ruins the experience of going.

Be kind to all. :D

Toma
05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Maybelater

How many people do you really know that are like this?

Anyway, with education and job demands these days I think its safe to say people in there 20s today and future generations are going to have a delayed onset of what is traditionally considered adulthood.
Education demands have dropped. Especially in Alberta and the wage gap between the educated and not has greaty diminished. Also trades people or apprentices can make as much or more than a junior professional engineer.

This was never the case before.

As far as moving out and buying a house.... 20 years ago, I bought my first house at age 21. My brother who is 14 years younger bought his first house at 18. My fiance who is 20 years younger than me bough her first house 2 years ago at age 21. Its easier now to buy something than it was. Interest rates are 1/3 and qualifying is a joke. The older generations advantage though were the assumables.

It can be done. Kids these days are just lazier cause you can make decent coin without much effort. You have more access to easy credit.... so its easier to over spend on toys and crap.

Maybelater
05-30-2013, 10:39 PM

LOTS OF WERDZ Y0

So if you don't shape up in your early 20s you're going to turn into a unmarried, depressed mess, with children, living on assistance? Although I do agree that people are going to question you if you're not on societys path people really have diffrent life situations and all shape up in a diffrent manner through time. Lots of late bloomers went on to do good things. Owner of my company is loaded and had a very modest lifestyle when he started in his later 30s.

Also, if someone actually cares about what I do and don't own they already sound like somebody I would hate to have a conversation with.

Bigmass is right, people take diffrent paths. But, you're right too, there is a point of no return on things like education, children, marriage, saving.

Originally posted by Toma

Education demands have dropped. Especially in Alberta and the wage gap between the educated and not has greaty diminished. Also trades people or apprentices can make as much or more than a junior professional engineer.

This was never the case before.

As far as moving out and buying a house.... 20 years ago, I bought my first house at age 21. My brother who is 14 years younger bought his first house at 18. My fiance who is 20 years younger than me bough her first house 2 years ago at age 21. Its easier now to buy something than it was. Interest rates are 1/3 and qualifying is a joke. The older generations advantage though were the assumables.

It can be done. Kids these days are just lazier cause you can make decent coin without much effort. You have more access to easy credit.... so its easier to over spend on toys and crap.

These things are true, but Alberta is also an economic abnormality in North America. Most trades and unskilled workers don't have it anywhere this easy in most other places.

Gman.45
05-31-2013, 12:44 AM
I think this issue is greatly influenced by circumstance. I had friends out of high school who did the whole live at home thing while in University and whatnot, and some of them were under their folks roof until they were 25 or even older.

I left home at 17, was working as an air traffic controller with Transport Canada when I was 19. I went into business with 3 others when I was 25, and at 26 built my first home in Cranston, just a little 1200 sq ft jobby, but it was mine, and I put down enough to avoid the CMHC bullshit at the time as well. I also along the way purchased brand new vehicles, including a 1995 Stealth R/T Turbo and an RX7 Turbo, as well as a ZR2 lifted truck. This was without any university education, only 1 year at a SAIT type tech school. I attended university later in life, the reverse of many of my friends who became doctors, lawyers, and professional types. Toma is 100 percent correct in this case, it can be done, you just can't be lazy, and need a bit of luck as well. I was by no means rich and retired by 30, but I was better off than many others less fortunate than I, having the 2.5 cars, zero kids thank god, and stained picket fence.

I will say that I don't necessarily agree about the kids all being lazy, if you go up to Ft Mac, you'll find about 20,000 guys under 25 busting their ASS in the worst climate imaginable, 80 degrees C temp swings, as well as a generally hostile work environment. I know from the brief time I spent up there that working 21 or 27 days straight, doing a 13 hour shift with an hour of travel on each end is quite the opposite of being lazy, it's balls to the wall flat out hard work. The kids doing this earn their $$$ IMO, every penny, and deserve to be in a position to buy the homes and trucks (and snowmobiles, and quads, and motorbikes, the newfie trifecta).

I don't know how much has changed in the ten years since I was turning 30, but I'm not sure I think 30 is the new 20 by any stretch. I do hope that 40 is the new 30 however, hah.

BigMass
05-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Toma

k, family moved to Calgary over 30 years ago. My father was making 60k/ year as an engineer and purchased his first house for 90k. That's 1.5x salary. So even if i'm making 100k now, where can I buy a house for 150k? My dad purchased his first brand new car for $7000. Where can I buy a brand new car for $10k-12k? People are far poorer now even with the higher salaries. Wages just haven't kept up with the cost of living

Sugarphreak
05-31-2013, 11:31 AM

Toma
05-31-2013, 11:53 AM

k, family moved to Calgary over 30 years ago. My father was making 60k/ year as an engineer and purchased his first house for 90k. That's 1.5x salary. So even if i'm making 100k now, where can I buy a house for 150k? My dad purchased his first brand new car for $7000. Where can I buy a brand new car for $10k-12k? People are far poorer now even with the higher salaries. Wages just haven't kept up with the cost of living

my first house was 130k, interest was 12% what was my payment?? (since its the payment that matters, no one pays cash). Now interest is 3% and you can buy a condo in the mid 100's, and an entry level house for $250 to $350.

Math skills time.... GO! And a plumber or a mechanic now makes more than what your Engineer dad did (as did my engineer dad).

30 years ago, your dad actually probably went through the 20% mortgage interest phase even.

sexualbanana
05-31-2013, 11:39 PM

Things have gotten more expensive, but let's not forget that the consumer culture has also resulted in people taking on more debt for things they either don't need, or can't afford to begin with.

When I'm down in the newer neighbourhoods there are young families (30-ish young families), there's a lot of dumb shit I see in backyards, garages, and driveways. Boats, quads, dirt bikes, motorcycles, 3+ cars, crazy toys, you name it.

In my family, we were mostly taught that taking on debt is pretty dumb, and there are only certain things you should ever buy on credit, a house being one of them. But it's amazing to see people stretch out their incomes and buy expensive furniture, mattresses, toys, etc on payment plans! If you can afford it, save up the money (it shouldn't take long if you can actually afford it) and pay cash.

I'm 29 years old, and I still live at home. Unfortunately, work hasn't really gone the way I would've liked, so I'm on the verge of heading in a totally different direction. It sucks, but that's just they way my life goes. Fortunately, I've had a good support system around me, and I credit my family for making sure that I don't spend my money frivolously on stupid things. There are times I hear of other people buying crazy things who make less than I do, and I can't help but :dunno: .

But that's off-topic. My take away from the TED talk is very different from what yours. I think her anecdotes just show that the 20's aren't a throwaway, and that what we do now, will determine how we feel the rest of our lives, whether your life plan is to have a family by X years or not.

I think her point is that you shouldn't just date that schmuck in your 20's because come 30, you might start to panic about where you been and settle. I think we all know someone who dated some asshole/bitch in their 20's and ended up marrying that person because that's who they've spent all that time with.

Don't settle with working some bullshit job because, next thing you know, you'll have a mortgage and family, and probably won't be able to afford switching jobs.

That's what I got out from the speaker, anyways. Maybe I'm wrong.

Laoz
06-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Loved it, thanks for sharing:thumbsup: