PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Wedding Venues

Myrrinda
05-30-2013, 11:40 AM
So my friend just got engaged and has put me in charge of helping her find an OUTDOOR wedding venue in Calgary for this summer (yeah, this could be tough).

Basically, they're moving to England, and in order for her to get a visa, they need to be married. They're planning to do a big wedding there, but she wants to have a small wedding for the people in Calgary that can't make it. Because they're doing 2 weddings, they want to keep the costs on the Calgary version as low as possible.

I've come up with a list of the following possibilities, depending on availability, but I was wondering if there were any other suggestions that you might be able to give me that Google couldn't.

-Shriners in Bowness (though I think this is booked for the summer)
-Baker Park
-Walker House at the bird sanctuary
-Reader rock garden
-Lougheed house
-Earl Grey Golf Club
-Zoo (likely expensive and booked, but will have to call)

Appreciate the help! And no, I'm not posting pics.

Penguin_Racecar
05-30-2013, 11:45 AM
If she's willing to have the wedding on a non-weekend that might help your situation. I would imagine that anything worth booking in Calgary on the weekend is already spoken for.

Myrrinda
05-30-2013, 12:05 PM
A weekday wedding would work just fine for them, but I'm not sure if it would rule out the number of people that could come, which would defeat the purpose of the Calgary wedding to begin with.

D'z Nutz
05-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Check out the Calgary Rowing Club at North Glenmore Park. Doing a wedding there at the end of summer and my clients said it was pretty cheap and they can even bring their own food which is helping keep the costs down. The location is suitable for small weddings too.

bspot
05-30-2013, 04:15 PM
I think you can get a permit for basically any City park, and they are cheap. You just need to rent chairs/tents etc.

speedog
05-30-2013, 05:22 PM
Bow Valley Ranche (http://www.bowvalleyranche.com/gazebo-booking-form.html) in Fish Creek Park?

Myrrinda
05-31-2013, 08:50 AM
I've looked into the parks, but I don't know which ones have nice wedding type spots, etc. My parents suggested Riley Park, so I'll check that out. I'll also check out Bow Valley Ranche and the Glenmore Rowing Club. Thanks guys!!!

mdeleon
06-01-2013, 11:10 AM
I went to an outdoor wedding at Heritage Park a couple years ago.

Sentry
06-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I went to Lougheed house a couple years ago and the Bar U Ranch a couple years before that, for cousin's weddings. At Lougheed it was a winter wedding so it was indoors, can't really comment on an outdoor wedding there. Bar U was a good time though.

Myrrinda
06-04-2013, 04:42 PM
So thanks everyone for your help, but it sounds like this ceremony thing is getting out of control, so now they're planning to just head down to city hall and throw a reception later.

For those of you who have done the city hall thing, do you just make an appointment? Can you walk in? Where do you go?

Edit: They already have the license