PDA

View Full Version : HK style breakfast in NW

Seks
05-31-2013, 12:45 PM
Besides TnT (which I actually haven't had yet)

Too out of the way to go to Chinatown

bh87
05-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Try T-Pot, its right near the TnT in the NW in the same little shopping area. the Dim Sum is great! Try and get the #12 steamed pork dumplings (they are actually soup dumplings with ground pork) my mother in law says in chinese its pronounced "Shoe Long Bao". One of my favorites is the steamed shrimp with the green sort of wrapper and orange fish roe on top (sorry I'm white and I don't know what it is).

edit: typo.

403ep3
05-31-2013, 02:55 PM
Xiao Long Bao mmm

Seks
05-31-2013, 03:45 PM
actually..I wasn't referring to dimsum. Refering to like stuff like combo of noodles + cold/hot drink + a bun

or something similar..

jwslam
05-31-2013, 03:46 PM
@ bh87
Nice try, but HK style breakfast doesn't consist of dim sum.

HK style breakfast I'm assuming he's talking about is the "western style" breakfast where they serve you an omlette with toast/roll and ham on macaroni. Or like chinese french toast. Or snow cabbage and pork on vermicelli. Or luncheon meat on instant noodles.

back on topic. Sorry OP but I don't think there's a market for this in Calgary big enough to be sustainable outside of Chinatown. If it does exist in the NW, my dad would have found it and I'd know all about this joint where he would be eating breakfast at daily.

Seriously, this is one of the biggest things I miss about HK. Waking up everyday for 3 weeks and rolling downstairs to a different joint every morning that essentially serves the same thing in a different fashion. MMM EGG TARTS FRESH AND FLAKY. :drool:

edit: too slow.

max_boost
05-31-2013, 04:19 PM
Calgary Court FTW

Almost every morning for the past 5 years now. :nut:

bigbadboss101
05-31-2013, 05:00 PM
Lot of them in Vancouver. I like to go to Alleulia. In Calgary I dunno. Might have to try Calgary Court one time. Not NW enough though.

jwslam
05-31-2013, 11:42 PM
I guess Sun's is TECHNICALLY nw... but not by far.

K3RMiTdot
06-01-2013, 10:49 AM
T-pot has it as well!

BigDL
06-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
@ bh87
Nice try, but HK style breakfast doesn't consist of dim sum.

HK style breakfast I'm assuming he's talking about is the "western style" breakfast where they serve you an omlette with toast/roll and ham on macaroni. Or like chinese french toast. Or snow cabbage and pork on vermicelli. Or luncheon meat on instant noodles.

back on topic. Sorry OP but I don't think there's a market for this in Calgary big enough to be sustainable outside of Chinatown. If it does exist in the NW, my dad would have found it and I'd know all about this joint where he would be eating breakfast at daily.

Seriously, this is one of the biggest things I miss about HK. Waking up everyday for 3 weeks and rolling downstairs to a different joint every morning that essentially serves the same thing in a different fashion. MMM EGG TARTS FRESH AND FLAKY. :drool:

edit: too slow.

Yummy, I stayed in Mai Foo, walk down stairs in the morning for $3 CDN breakfast. Fresh baked buns of different kinds. So good! And there is this awesome deep fried chicken place too, it was opened by someone that went back to HK from Vancouver.

Someone needs to open something like that in the NW, near Panaromana/Country hills or by Hawkwood/Hamptons. So many Chinese people in the area.

guessboi
06-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Calgary Court @ Chinatown
Calgary Court @ T-Pot

:thumbsup:

max_boost
06-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Yummy

Disoblige
06-04-2013, 12:55 PM
ahh I could go for some wontons and iced lemon tea right now. yum. love the shrimp wontons.

Seks
06-04-2013, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I went to Fairwood or Café Coral pretty much everyday

Originally posted by guessboi

Calgary Court @ T-Pot

What's CC @ TP? Aren't those 2 diff places?

Originally posted by max_boost
Yummy

Now that's the shit I was asking about!!!

Anyways I dropped by TPOT just now at around 1030 but all they have is dimsum :banghead: The section that is on the right when you walk thru the entrance doesn't open till 11a...and I'm assuming they don't serve HK style breakfast after 11a

jwslam
06-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by Seks
I went to Fairwood or Café Coral pretty much everyday
I've only been to HK once in my life. For 3 weeks this last xmas. Everyone I know is so surprised by that thinking I was born there and probably lived there til HS if they didn't know me before. I made it a goal to not repeat any food venues in 3 weeks. Even eating 5-6 times a day was cheaper than twice here and I never even got to try every place i wanted. Definitely love the Fairwood scrambled eggs.

I've been told Fairwood and CC are owned by brothers haha. P.S. I miss KFC portugese tarts =(

What's CC @ TP? Aren't those 2 diff places?
Nope. That's Calgary Court at T-Pot. Same thing.

Anyways I dropped by TPOT just now at around 1030 but all they have is dimsum :banghead: The section that is on the right when you walk thru the entrance doesn't open till 11a...and I'm assuming they don't serve HK style breakfast after 11a
Guess it's only the DT location that does breakfast then. Like I said, seems like there's no market, or at least nobody believes there's a market hence no ventures. Pretty sure they do the HK style 3:15