PDA

View Full Version : Stick vs. Automatic & The People

flipstah
06-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Sorry if this is a repost but found it interesting. Probably all BS but whatever haha:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2011/09/mini-stick-shift-vs-automatic.jpg

Disoblige
06-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I want my 90 seconds back :rofl:

ExtraSlow
06-03-2013, 11:49 AM
Was intersting. I'm looking for another car, and I'm hoping to get a stick shift. I really do prefer them, makes me feel like I'm really driving, as opposed to just steering.

Mibz
06-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Stopped reading at "Knowing how to handle a clutch is a sure sign of a skilled motorer".

No it's not. Source: I can drive a manual.

Nice circle jerk, Mini.

-relk-
06-03-2013, 12:29 PM
I enjoyed the "automatics are 25% more likely to play farmville" stat :rofl:

Sugarphreak
06-03-2013, 12:37 PM

Boosted131
06-03-2013, 12:43 PM
Where did they pull these stats from?

Mibz
06-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I imagine they sent an e-mail survey to their customers and got ~66,000 responses.

lilmira
06-03-2013, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
So statistically manual drivers are more often men, and clearly more awesome in pretty much every way?

No surprises here

:D

Hi Ron!

e31
06-03-2013, 08:28 PM
You can easily tell someone who drives a stick in Calgary traffic, when they get out of their car watch for the left leg stretch or limp. Be careful so as to not misrepresent this person as having cerebral palsy.

AE92_TreunoSC
06-03-2013, 08:36 PM
Completely flawed propaganda from Mini to make their drives feel superior.

You drive FWD BMWs with Neon engines and union jacks on the roof, congrats!

sneek
06-03-2013, 08:37 PM
There are some days when I really miss driving manual. That feeling goes away pretty quickly when I remember how horrible Memorial/Deerfoot are. I remember there was really bad traffic/construction on Crowchild and I stalled my car because I literally had a huge cramp

Sugarphreak
06-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Tik-Tok
06-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Stopped reading at "Knowing how to handle a clutch is a sure sign of a skilled motorer".

No it's not. Source: I can drive a manual.

Nice circle jerk, Mini.

I stopped reading there because I have no idea what a "motorer" is. A motorist on the other hand...

flipstah
06-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Calgary traffic isn't 'traffic'.

Asia traffic is worse. Put it in neutral; chillax.

sneek
06-03-2013, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Meh, that is nothing. I don't think my leg has ever cramped in any Calgary traffic actually. Try getting stuck in rush hour on the port man bridge... a seemingly endless stop and go crawl on an uphill slope.

Perhaps I am just weak then. The only other time I recall being that bad was when I was at Chinook underground parking on boxing day

Sugarphreak
06-03-2013, 08:47 PM

Graham_A_M
06-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Wow thats biased....

I can do everything on the "manual" side, and I very much agree with that as it identifies me quite well, but it depends on the car & the situation.

Sometimes I prefer auto's as much as manual's, yet I started with a manual dirtbike when I was 6, been driving a manual 3/4ton truck at my dads farm since I was 9.... :dunno:
It depends on the situation a lot. Most times I prefer a manual, but in stop & go traffic, I absolutely fucking despise it, my left (clutch) leg tires out after a while and I can just feel my clutch screaming bloody murder. If I worked a 9-5 type job where I'd ALWAYS be stuck in traffic, there is no way in hell Id want a manual for that type of shit. Everything else? I enjoy having all my cars, trucks (and obviously) bikes being manual's.:)

revelations
06-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Anyone complaining about clutching in stop and go traffic has yet to try it on a bike. I've had numb hand several times where I've had to pull over.

mikestypes
06-03-2013, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Wow thats biased....

I can do everything on the "manual" side, and I very much agree with that as it identifies me quite well, but it depends on the car & the situation.

Sometimes I prefer auto's as much as manual's, yet I started with a manual dirtbike when I was 6, been driving a manual 3/4ton truck at my dads farm since I was 9.... :dunno:
It depends on the situation a lot. Most times I prefer a manual, but in stop & go traffic, I absolutely fucking despise it, my left (clutch) leg tires out after a while and I can just feel my clutch screaming bloody murder. If I worked a 9-5 type job where I'd ALWAYS be stuck in traffic, there is no way in hell Id want a manual for that type of shit. Everything else? I enjoy having all my cars, trucks (and obviously) bikes being manual's.:)

As I read this, it isn't about whether your car is a stick or auto, or even what you prefer. It is statistical data about those that are CAPABLE of driving a stick.

Graham_A_M
06-03-2013, 09:51 PM
^ Really? thats never bothered me, ever... on any bike I've owned over the years.... but I play bass guitar so my hands & forearms are fucking beefcakes:rofl: :rofl:

revelations
06-03-2013, 09:55 PM
Yea I've owned all hydraulic clutch bikes, not sure if that makes a diff. Also Im quite tall which tends to put more weight on the bars.

DeleriousZ
06-03-2013, 11:11 PM
I get stuck in deerfoot traffic every day. I drive a car with a cable clutch that's upgraded to a heavier pressure plate. I have no problems, my left leg doesn't get sore because I'm not a weak bitch :) lol

cam_wmh
06-04-2013, 12:05 AM
I usually walk to work lol. Leave the stage 5 clutch at home.