PDA

View Full Version : Cutting coils?

RXsevenmonk
02-20-2004, 06:46 PM
thanks

Spyderman_MaryJ
02-20-2004, 06:57 PM
My opinion, you can do it but the ride will be compromised. You are always better to get lowering springs. If you just want to lower it for looks then go for it, but you wont be able to drive it as hard as you might want to. The other thing is most people just over-do it and cut too much out then it becomes dangerous! I really don't suggest cutting coils.... but it can be done. :thumbsup:

EK 2.0
02-20-2004, 07:47 PM
My opinion...NO...

hjr
02-20-2004, 09:50 PM
the general consensus on the site is dont do it. get proper springs, having said that i know a few regulars on here who do indeed have cut springs...

bmeier
02-21-2004, 10:47 PM
actually when you cut a spring you increase the spring rate...

Toms-Celica
02-21-2004, 11:13 PM
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SEARCH!

heavyD
02-22-2004, 01:16 AM
If you can't afford a decent set of lowering springs, for god sake, leave the stock ones alone and save some money. Cutting springs is ghetto as well as unsafe.:thumbsdow

EnRich
02-22-2004, 03:02 AM
Dont cut your springs...

Weapon_R
02-22-2004, 05:21 AM
It's no longer very expensive to buy a decent pair of springs to lower your ride. Not only are they MUCH better for your car's ride quality, but much safer. Find some used springs if you are on a tight budget and install them.

SwitchBlade
02-22-2004, 09:32 AM
I wouldnt. No mechanics that i know of will service a vehicle if the springs have been cut.

Dr. Lightspeed
02-22-2004, 11:06 AM
There is only one reason to cut springs and that is if none for your car are availiable. When we were stockcar racing sometimes a particuliar spring rate was not availiable to us so we were forced to frig around to get the right spring rate. We never used a gas axe to cut them either. When we did have to cut springs it was with a new hacksaw blade and we cut through them a quarter of the way then let them cool for 15 mins before we cut the next quarter. However this was because we could not find the proper rate. The sport compact scene has absolutely no reason whatsoever for cutting springs because somebody will make a set of springs for your car.

africano
02-22-2004, 11:50 PM
Even if you cut the springs the right leangth(doubt it) you might heat the spring up and change the characteristics of the spring (rate,durablity, flex). Lowering springs aren't expensive, buy them, eibach's are good I hear.

RXsevenmonk
02-23-2004, 01:03 AM
thnaks anyway it is tricky and extremely expensive to find this shit for RX7s they are no civic once again thank you (no cutting for me finally found some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)